AVS Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24709966

If you are looking for one, the Dish 20.1 learning remote (see attached photo above) has been used by others on this thread with good results. It can be purchased brand-new from this seller for $6.75 with free shipping included. Search this thread for some specific programming instructions and tips.
Universal Remote

I was considering buying the Sony RM-VLZ620 ($25) based on advice from David Einstein, a technologist columnist.

Does anyone know if the Sony RM-VLZ620 model works with the DVR+?

Einstein wrote: "You can't go wrong with one of the high-end Harmony models from Logitech. The best balance of price and performance may be the Harmony 650 (around $75). An even better deal might be the Sony RM-VLZ620, which goes for $25." (Both are "learning" remotes.)

But trp2525 has suggested an amazing deal with the Dish 20.1. Thanks!

Motivation:
I have one arm and would really like to use a different remote on the DVR+. The CM version is quite awkward to use with one hand, especially the frequently used lower buttons--as has been pointed out by others.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24710964

Universal Remote

Motivation: I have one arm and would really like to use a different remote on the DVR+. The CM version is quite awkward to use with one hand, especially the frequently used lower buttons--as has been pointed out by others.
Although I use a Harmony 600 with the DVR+, I was a DISH customer for many years and can vouch that the remote pictured, which is almost exactly like the ones that come with their DVR's, is extremely easy to use with one hand.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Early this morning, the DVR+ pilot light was showing a dim red.  I don't think it was recording at the time (nothing that I can think of scheduled and the light on the hard drive wasn't flashing.)  Does anyone know what this means?

Chuck

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24711126

Early this morning, the DVR+ pilot light was showing a dim red.  I don't think it was recording at the time (nothing that I can think of scheduled and the light on the hard drive wasn't flashing.)  Does anyone know what this means?

Chuck
I have not seen that but..

Any possibility that is does that when it updates the Rovi guide?

The other possibility would be that you had requested to record all shows with this name and it was finding one on a sub channel????

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24708833

Is anyone using a universal remote with the DVR+?

Specifically with an HD LG TV.

I use a Harmony One in my TV room, and a Harmony 900 to control my system from my bedroom. They both work well. I got my DVR+ a couple of weeks ago and it was already in Logitech's Harmony database, so setup was easy.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I got my DVR+ a couple of weeks ago and really like it. I think it's too bad that there's so much negativity on this thread, seemingly from a handful of individuals, because it may give consumers a bad impression.

Here's what I think of the DVR+...

PROS

Beautiful guide (love the dark theme)

Beautiful industrial design

Nice level of customization (set skip forward and back intervals, delete unwanted channels, set default recording start and stop times)

Back button not only for previous channel but also for step back through menus (especially great for Vudu!)

No subscription fees!

CONS

Some jitter on recorded playback from weaker signal channels

Some jitter on playback from Vudu

"Watch or record" message when selecting a live show in the guide

"Delete or open" message when selecting a DVR folder

GRADE: B

My advice to others is, "If you like a TiVo, buy a TiVo." Personally, I can't stand TiVo.

There are other choices out there, like Simple.tv, but I like the traditional TV viewing experience with a grid guide and being able to "channel surf".

The big thing for me is no subscription fees. That's HUGE as far as I'm concerned, and I can put up with some oddities as tradeoffs.

So, if you want a traditional TV viewing experience but don't like TiVo, the DVR+ is a nice solution.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24710964

Universal Remote

I was considering buying the Sony RM-VLZ620 ($25) based on advice from David Einstein, a technologist columnist.

Does anyone know if the Sony RM-VLZ620 model works with the DVR+?

Einstein wrote: "You can't go wrong with one of the high-end Harmony models from Logitech. The best balance of price and performance may be the Harmony 650 (around $75). An even better deal might be the Sony RM-VLZ620, which goes for $25." (Both are "learning" remotes.)

But trp2525 has suggested an amazing deal with the Dish 20.1. Thanks!

Motivation:
I have one arm and would really like to use a different remote on the DVR+. The CM version is quite awkward to use with one hand, especially the frequently used lower buttons--as has been pointed out by others.

I have the sony remote you speak off. In fact I have four of them. I love it I think its the best remote for the money. I had to teach it the DVR+ commands, but was no problem and I taught all four at the same time. Not sure about using with one arm.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24711322

I got my DVR+ a couple of weeks ago and really like it. I think it's too bad that there's so much negativity on this thread, seemingly from a handful of individuals, because it may give consumers a bad impression.

Here's what I think of the DVR+...

PROS

Beautiful guide (love the dark theme)

Beautiful industrial design

Nice level of customization (set skip forward and back intervals, delete unwanted channels, set default recording start and stop times)

No subscription fees!

CONS

Some jitter on recorded playback from weaker signal channels

Some jitter on playback from Vudu

"Watch or record" message when selecting a live show in the guide

"Delete or open" message when selecting a DVR folder

GRADE: B

My advice to others is, "If you like a TiVo, buy a TiVo." Personally, I can't stand TiVo.

There are other choices out there, like Simple.tv, but I like the traditional TV viewing experience with a grid guide and being able to "channel surf".

The big thing for me is no subscription fees. That's HUGE as far as I'm concerned, and I can put up with some oddities as tradeoffs.

So, if you want a traditional TV viewing experience but don't like TiVo, the DVR+ is a nice solution.

The DVR+ is prefect till it starts doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3550_50#post_24711204

I have not seen that but..

Any possibility that is does that when it updates the Rovi guide?

The other possibility would be that you had requested to record all shows with this name and it was finding one on a sub channel????
I don't think it's related to Rovi as it was red for quite some time (but dim blue in the morning).  And it didn't record anything at that time.

Chuck

·
Banned
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankkasten  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24709515

I strongly recommend a ROKU box rather than waiting for apps from CM, Echostar or whoever it is that makes these things.  There's over a thousand apps and it's cheap ($99 list - less on sale and for refurbs). 

Plus, you can use plex and its user created channels too...

·
Registered
7 Posts

One of my biggest complaints is one that you point out. The remote control is slooooow to respond to commands. Why does it have to take up to 10 seconds or longer some times before it responds to a command? I thought that the batteries might need to be changed so I swapped them out, but it made only a slight appreciable difference. I just don't get what the problem is with it. In so far as many of your other complaints I like my older, still working, CM7400 menus and the remote controls was very responsive with no appreciable lag time. I am hoping that all these issues can be addressed in a software update. I initially was going to buy another DVR+, but these issues bother me so much that I have put it on hold.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3500_100#post_24711126

Chuck
From the 106R change-log I posted, one of the changes was
Quote:
  • Make recording LED dim Red in standby.

Perhaps it was that.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
8,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfitztx  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3550_50#post_24711851

One of my biggest complaints is one that you point out. The remote control is slooooow to respond to commands. Why does it have to take up to 10 seconds or longer some times before it responds to a command? I thought that the batteries might need to be changed so I swapped them out, but it made only a slight appreciable difference. I just don't get what the problem is with it. In so far as many of your other complaints I like my older, still working, CM7400 menus and the remote controls was very responsive with no appreciable lag time. I am hoping that all these issues can be addressed in a software update. I initially was going to buy another DVR+, but these issues bother me so much that I have put it on hold.
If I may, I have found two reasons for slow response to a remote command. After a cold (power up) restart, some functions get initialized causing a lag that only happens once. The next is a bug. Some have posted that after a power cycle things speed up for a while. This usually indicates some subfunction gets started and doesn't know enough to stop. Finding the subfunction may be impossible. If you tell CM about the problems they may get their part-time QA department to check it before the next firmware release. I have an AVR that once you start streaming IP Radio, it never stops until powered off. No harm using the AVR, but the network becomes saturated.

Just some idle speculation.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24713485

If I may, I have found two reasons for slow response to a remote command. After a cold (power up) restart, some functions get initialized causing a lag that only happens once. The next is a bug. Some have posted that after a power cycle things speed up for a while. This usually indicates some subfunction gets started and doesn't know enough to stop. Finding the subfunction may be impossible. If you tell CM about the problems they may get their part-time QA department to check it before the next firmware release. I have an AVR that once you start streaming IP Radio, it never stops until powered off. No harm using the AVR, but the network becomes saturated.

Just some idle speculation.

It's very common for Dish dvr's to get "remote-lag" for whatever reason. It's enough to make you pull your hair out at times. I have found it mostly applies to their IR remotes, and not so much to the uhf remotes (their dual dvr's can use either type). I do not know if a uhf remote is an option with the DVR+ though. I also believe it's due to a subfunction, or task that it's doing in the background.

I switched to UHF only mode on my VIP722k, and it makes all the difference.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715025

It's very common for Dish dvr's to get "remote-lag" for whatever reason.

I can't remember it occurring one time in the three years plus I had a Dish DVR.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3540#post_24711126

Chuck

I think it shows red if it reboots.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24713594

Yea hopefully the other guys and not mine. Right.

You don't wish that on anyone, but it is very rare. If I got a DVR+ like that, I would return it in a heartbeat for another. Every product on the market has faulty product, hence the warranty, and CM stands but theirs (I was offered the ability to return mine 60+days after) but the new antenna solved my problems.

Just saying,don't scare people off from buying the DVR+ because of that issue, when it is so rare that 99% of DVR+ owners will never see it.

3561 - 3580 of 17993 Posts