AVS Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 18057 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715370

Is there a way to get capital letters on the key board? Is there a shift key?

I think so, but can't remember how I did it, I will try to rename something tonight, and let you know.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not trying to scare people off, but bad publicity will help improve the product.

It is an issue that needs to be corrected by CM. If everyone ignores the issue CM will not feel like it is necessary to correct it. As long it continues to be mentioned in this forum it hurts sales so CM will take steps to correct it. When it is mentioned in a review from a .com like CNet that is big. Remember record playback is what it is all about, and should be the most important thing of all.

From CNet:

While live TV always played back smoothly, recordings occasionally had some issues. Every once in a while, there would video playback glitches that looked like dropped frames or stuttering on recorded programs. Initially the glitches seemed like they might be reception issues, but I ruled that out by playing back the same sections again and seeing the glitches disappear. Perhaps it's an issue with the hard drive I was using (a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex), but it seems like the DVR+ should be able to test whether a connected drive will perform reliably.

·
Registered
416 Posts
True, I do have glitches on my playback, black screen, audio loss, maybe 1 second, usually on the same channel. Only thing for me, it is repeatable, every time I rewind, it happens for the same duration at the exact same spot. That makes me think it is something in KCRA 3.2 (MeTv).

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3550_50#post_24715650

but it seems like the DVR+ should be able to test whether a connected drive will perform reliably.
Undetected errors are virtually nonexistent in modern disk drives.  There's tons of checking done on the drive, and if the drive is unable to correct the error, the drive returns a severe error code.

Chuck

·
Registered
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715222

I can't remember it occurring one time in the three years plus I had a Dish DVR.

It sure gets reported a lot at Satelliteguys, and I've seen it myself many times on my VIP622 and my VIP722k.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715370

Is there a way to get capital letters on the key board? Is there a shift key?
There is a large arrow in the upper right of the onscreen keyboard it will toggle between upper and lowercase

·
Registered
13,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3500_100#post_24715650

It is an issue that needs to be corrected by CM. If everyone ignores the issue CM will not feel like it is necessary to correct it. As long it continues to be mentioned in this forum it hurts sales so CM will take steps to correct it. When it is mentioned in a review from a .com like CNet that is big. Remember record playback is what it is all about, and should be the most important thing of all.

From CNet:

While live TV always played back smoothly, recordings occasionally had some issues. Every once in a while, there would video playback glitches that looked like dropped frames or stuttering on recorded programs. Initially the glitches seemed like they might be reception issues, but I ruled that out by playing back the same sections again and seeing the glitches disappear. Perhaps it's an issue with the hard drive I was using (a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex), but it seems like the DVR+ should be able to test whether a connected drive will perform reliably.
While I agree with you that it needs to be corrected, having it brought to the forefront in a CNET article by one of their reviewers will get far more attention from CM than a couple posters complaining on AVS. I'm sure their engineers will try very hard now to duplicate the problem and track it down. They would be foolish not to.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24712746

And that only happens to a VERY SMALL # of Units!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715379

You don't wish that on anyone, but it is very rare. If I got a DVR+ like that, I would return it in a heartbeat for another. Every product on the market has faulty product, hence the warranty, and CM stands but theirs (I was offered the ability to return mine 60+days after) but the new antenna solved my problems.

Just saying,don't scare people off from buying the DVR+ because of that issue, when it is so rare that 99% of DVR+ owners will never see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715676

True, I do have glitches on my playback, black screen, audio loss, maybe 1 second, usually on the same channel. Only thing for me, it is repeatable, every time I rewind, it happens for the same duration at the exact same spot. That makes me think it is something in KCRA 3.2 (MeTv).

Don't mean to be argumentative (and don't take this personally).....but.....

You become highly defensive and claim that this problem doesn't occur in 99% of units (wondering where you get this statistic?).
Then....you state that you actually have the problem (or a manifestation of the problem) yourself!!.....I'm confused!
BTW.....this is a common enough problem that it occurred (in short term use) on a test sample reviewed by CNET!

Additionally, not only do I have it (with exceptional reception and tested on multiple EHD's) but I also now know two others personally that have the same exact problem!......."very rare"?.......sorry to say that that's not the case!......it's very common!!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24716462

While I agree with you that it needs to be corrected, having it brought to the forefront in a CNET article by one of their reviewers will get far more attention from CM than a couple posters complaining on AVS. I'm sure their engineers will try very hard now to duplicate the problem and track it down. They would be foolish not to.

Thanks!.....

This is actually a common problem!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24715025

It's very common for Dish dvr's to get "remote-lag" for whatever reason. It's enough to make you pull your hair out at times. I have found it mostly applies to their IR remotes, and not so much to the uhf remotes (their dual dvr's can use either type). I do not know if a uhf remote is an option with the DVR+ though. I also believe it's due to a subfunction, or task that it's doing in the background.

I switched to UHF only mode on my VIP722k, and it makes all the difference.

This is not (specifically) a Dish DVR and shouldn't be classified as one.

Additionally, this remote "lag" has been reported since the latest update (106R), so it's not an inherent problem.

It appears to be a "side effect" of this latest "upgrade"!

·
Registered
3 Posts

hi,

first off, this thread is getting wayyy too long to cover just one device (just an observation).

i just bought this device and upon set up, it worked as i expected. then after the software update, i started experiencing the remote delay that was mentioned in this thread. i guess the concensus is to reset the device. that i will do to see if it'll revert back to the way it worked before the update.

from one recording, i noticed that the recording began about 4 minutes later than scheduled. either the clock on the unit is way off or something else is wrong here. it has been hot these past couple of days. and the unit has been sitting in a room where the temperature is in the high 80's...possibly low 90's. but there is no recording during this time period. when i got home in the evening, i began to cool the room down. a couple of hours later, the first recording scheduled began recording, but started a few minutes late. this is where i thought that the high heat in the room caused it to not start on time, because it was still cooling off? or perhaps the attached hard drive was also way too hot? anyway, i deciding to pull the power from the unit during the daytime, as i don't have any recordings scheduled until the evenings. i'll see how this goes in the next few days.

there are quite a few needed features compared to a tivo, but even without the comparison, there are obvious improvements that this unit needs. the first one i can think of is to provide on screen display of the functions of the four colored buttons on the remote when you navigate to a screen that responds to the input of any of these four buttons. this should be obvious. don't know why this is missing from the ui. second, hitting the "DVR" button gets you directly into the recordings sub-menu. because there was no on-screen indication of where you were, i didn't know at this point that there is actually 4 sub-menus to the DVR menu until i read the user manual in detail.

otherwise, it works as expected.

it would be great to have these features:

1. don't record repeats.

2. ability to stream recordings to another channel master dvr+ units on the same home network (or the better implementation of this is to have a single unit with 6 or so tuners doing the recording and individual remote receivers connected to each tv that receives via wifi or ethernet).

i'll be testing the unit that i have before commenting further.

cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24716813

...you state that you actually have the problem (or a manifestation of the problem) yourself!!

No, he said that he has a repeatable problem with a single channel.

When playing back recordings from channels that have rock solid signals, mine play perfectly. I have a channel that I record a lot from that has borderline signal quality. It doesn't surprise me at all that there are occasional dropouts in video and/or audio in recordings from this channel. I don't consider that a DVR+ problem, I consider it an antenna problem. I think this is reasonable...

I understand that you want the problems you're having with the DVR+ fixed, but the best way to insure that this will happen is not to incessantly tear down the product, because the more successful the product is, the more TLC it will receive from the developers.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24718724

hi,

first off, this thread is getting wayyy too long to cover just one device (just an observation).

i just bought this device and upon set up, it worked as i expected. then after the software update, i started experiencing the remote delay that was mentioned in this thread. i guess the concensus is to reset the device. that i will do to see if it'll revert back to the way it worked before the update.

from one recording, i noticed that the recording began about 4 minutes later than scheduled. either the clock on the unit is way off or something else is wrong here. it has been hot these past couple of days. and the unit has been sitting in a room where the temperature is in the high 80's...possibly low 90's. but there is no recording during this time period. when i got home in the evening, i began to cool the room down. a couple of hours later, the first recording scheduled began recording, but started a few minutes late. this is where i thought that the high heat in the room caused it to not start on time, because it was still cooling off? or perhaps the attached hard drive was also way too hot? anyway, i deciding to pull the power from the unit during the daytime, as i don't have any recordings scheduled until the evenings. i'll see how this goes in the next few days.

there are quite a few needed features compared to a tivo, but even without the comparison, there are obvious improvements that this unit needs. the first one i can think of is to provide on screen display of the functions of the four colored buttons on the remote when you navigate to a screen that responds to the input of any of these four buttons. this should be obvious. don't know why this is missing from the ui. second, hitting the "DVR" button gets you directly into the recordings sub-menu. because there was no on-screen indication of where you were, i didn't know at this point that there is actually 4 sub-menus to the DVR menu until i read the user manual in detail.

otherwise, it works as expected.

it would be great to have these features:

1. don't record repeats.

2. ability to stream recordings to another channel master dvr+ units on the same home network (or the better implementation of this is to have a single unit with 6 or so tuners doing the recording and individual remote receivers connected to each tv that receives via wifi or ethernet).

i'll be testing the unit that i have before commenting further.

cheers.

Welcome!.....Some interesting points.

However.....this thread would be considerably shorter had the unit not been so glitchy!

The temperatures you are experiencing should in no way, shape or form have an adverse affect on the unit or the drive (unless either one or both were completely unstable)!

In terms of the scheduled recording list and folders are concerned.....you may not realize this yet (as a new user) but as you accumulate recordings and/or multiple recordings for the same show it will become very frustrating when you simply want to delete a show! In my case (due to time constraints), I tend to accumulate shows (and why not.....given the intended option of using a large drive?). There should be an option to simply delete a show immediately after you watch it!

That's DVR 101 for crying out loud!

How they missed this is beyond belief!!

I've had to sift through several pages to find the title of the show that I just watched and simply wanted to delete, then first open the folder and then search for the exact episode to delete!!

.....this is beyond ludicrous!!

Another mistake is that, when you pull up the details on a a particular show (using the "info" button), you should then be able to simply hit record.

No.....first you need to hit the "info" button again (to dismiss the show details) and then the "record" button. True, it's a minor inconvenience but it's indicative of the general lack of ingenuity with this unit!

·
Registered
8,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3550_50#post_24719291

Welcome!.....Some interesting points.

However.....this thread would be considerably shorter had the unit not been so glitchy!
I wonder how many have been deleted by the Moderators? Good thing Rovi stopped supporting TVGOS V8 and V9 or the Sony DHG thread would be past 30 thousand. No other "HDTV Recorders" thread has come close. And I still use mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24718754

When playing back recordings from channels that have rock solid signals, mine play perfectly. I have a channel that I record a lot from that has borderline signal quality. It doesn't surprise me at all that there are occasional dropouts in video and/or audio in recordings from this channel. I don't consider that a DVR+ problem, I consider it an antenna problem. I think this is reasonable...

I understand that you want the problems you're having with the DVR+ fixed, but the best way to insure that this will happen is not to incessantly tear down the product, because the more successful the product is, the more TLC it will receive from the developers.

Sorry about the full quote, my phone screen is cracked and only half the screen works, so I can't chop it down.

You are right, it is a SIMILAR issue, and on a Very strong channel. To test this I used another DVR to record one of the dotted I see this problem on (about once an episode) and due enough it showed up on that recording as well. That means it's not a DVR+ problem, but rather problem on the channel. The site records at 3-4 am so I can't say if out happens live, but does happen on 2 different DVR's and always shouted up in the exact same spot when rewatched or rewound.

I must be the odd case out this time, my remote responsiveness is dramatically better after the 106 update, I have no lag at all, I press, it's already on the screen before I let go of the button.

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24718754

It's not my intention to "incessantly tear down the product". The intention of these forums is to share opinions about a product. I would like nothing more than to compliment it, as, in theory at least, it has real potential.

It's not my fault that it's so glitchy or that (to add insult to injury) "updates" basically add other problems to the mix!

I actually want the product to succeed!

Perhaps by bringing these issues/complaints to the forefront, they'll put more effort into resolving these issues vs. releasing glitchy "updates" which potentially make matters worse!!

The success of this product relies on just how important customer satisfaction really is to CM.....in which case my complaints are truly to their benefit!

BTW.....the order would be "TLC" first.....then success!..... You can't have success first and then "TLC".....it's the reverse!

·
Banned
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24712484

From the 106R change-log I posted, one of the changes was

Perhaps it was that.

No.....but having the red light during recordings (in stand-by) is a nice feature (at least to dream about for now)!

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24719348

I must be the odd case out this time, my remote responsiveness is dramatically better after the 106 update, I have no lag at all, I press, it's already on the screen before I let go of the button.
No lag in my remote either.. either before or after 106R.. So I guess there must be 2 of us without the problem..

·
Registered
302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3570#post_24718724

hi,

from one recording, i noticed that the recording began about 4 minutes later than scheduled. either the clock on the unit is way off or something else is wrong here.

Are you connected to the Internet? Starting with release 106R (confirm that you do have it, even though you mention the software update), my time when connected to the Internet has been rock solid. Since I'm always connected I can't comment on how the device behaves when not connected. So, if you're connected, compare the dvr time with some reference source and let us know what you discover. If you feel your time is off, let us know what your reference source was and how you made the determination.

3581 - 3600 of 18057 Posts