AVS Forum banner

3621 - 3640 of 18057 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

Quote:
On my Sony TV I get 21 channels scanned. In my Samsung TV I get 13 and on my Channel Master DVR+ it only picks up a whopping 9 !!

On my LG LCD, on my cheap Element LCD and on my Hauppauge PC tuner I uses in my HTPC, they all scan and come up with the exact same number of channels pretty much every time, so I do find it odd you see such drastic differences with your devices. Is it possible your CM DVR+ just has a bad ATSC tuner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hadn't seen the "new only" feature, how do I access that?

Does the device have to be on to record? Meaning will it fire up at the recorded time to record the show? My kids turn it off all the dang time.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoisierdoc  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600_50#post_24732137

I hadn't seen the "new only" feature, how do I access that?

Does the device have to be on to record? Meaning will it fire up at the recorded time to record the show? My kids turn it off all the dang time.
Forgive me for not making it clearer the guide schedule of "new only" is a TiVo option. It works 90% of the time. Another feature to add is "weekly" or "daily" that includes a start date. TVGOS had that (from Rovi). Everybody has their wish lists.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts

Quote:
I live in downtown Toronto
Quote:
I tried a Channel Master amp (they suggested this) and I get LESS channels.
You answered your own question. You are getting bombed by the CN tower and all the other RF (non TV & radio)

Quote:
I am also looking at getting a adjustable Notch Filter that I can filter out (reduce the signal) of specific channels that are close to the weak signals.

You can try TinLee, but you are talking about really BIG bucks;
http://www.tinlee.com/bandpass_filters.php?active=3#NF7

Sounds as that DVR+ overloads easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm a new DVR+ owner who decided to stop lurking on this forum and join it. I've read many, but not all of the posts. Such a large number of posts with quite a few about Tivos, Dish, etc. make it difficult for someone to find Channel Master DVR+ related info if they weren't following the 121 pages as they were created. Just an observation.

I've had the DVR+ for about a month and the biggest problem I've encountered is delays using the remote. It's most pronounced when working with the Guide - moving up & down through channels, back & forth through time slots and selecting channels to watch or record. I've also had delays just entering a channel # to change channels. I jut performed a factory reset per recommendations from this forum. It's mostly more responsive now although I noticed a few delays as I was navigating through the guide to set up my recording schedules again. It would pause for 20 seconds every now and then as I was trying to move ahead 24 hrs to schedule my next show. Perhaps it was pausing to retrieve additional program information. I am on firmware version 106R, connected to the Internet and receive Rovi program information.

Like others on this forum, there are changes I could sure use like recording only new programs and moving more quickly through the guide. I've had systems that used channel Up/Down to move a full page up or down in the guide and FF/Rew to move 24 hrs forward or back.

Looking forward to more interaction with everyone and updates from CM.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoisierdoc  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24732137

The DVR+ doesn't really turn off - it just goes into standby. And yes, it will record programs while in standby mode.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24732728

The DVR+ doesn't really turn off - it just goes into standby. And yes, it will record programs while in standby mode.

When the DVR+ is turned "off" it goes into standby and the bright blue LED changes to dim blue. However, when a recording is in progress in standby mode, the dim blue LED does not change to dim red as it should. This was supposed to be fixed in the 106R update, but it was not.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24733139

When the DVR+ is turned "off" it goes into standby and the bright blue LED changes to dim blue. However, when a recording is in progress in standby mode, the dim blue LED does not change to dim red as it should. This was supposed to be fixed in the 106R update, but it was not.

I'm more concerned about actual recordings than I am about bells and whistles like LED lights.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusmc  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24732611

I've had the DVR+ for about a month and the biggest problem I've encountered is delays using the remote. It's most pronounced when working with the Guide - moving up & down through channels, back & forth through time slots and selecting channels to watch or record.

Like others on this forum, there are changes I could sure use like recording only new programs and moving more quickly through the guide. I've had systems that used channel Up/Down to move a full page up or down in the guide and FF/Rew to move 24 hrs forward or back.

How many channels are you receiving? I receive about 17 channels and have not had problems with the DVR+ responding to commands from the remote. If you have a lot of channels, try deleting the ones you don't use and see if that helps.

If you just want to see what's on other channels at the same time as you're viewing a program, instead of using the Guide button, you can use the "up" and "down" functions on the Navigation control to see whats on the other channels.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24733174

I'm more concerned about actual recordings than I am about bells and whistles like LED lights.

I would certainly consider it a useful feature if I could tell that my DVR+ hadn't missed a scheduled recording, without having to turn it on.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24733202

I would certainly consider it a useful feature if I could tell that my DVR+ hadn't missed a scheduled recording, without having to turn it on.

I agree that it would be nice to have, but I don't think it's critical.

The question I responded to was about recordings, not LED lights.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24732548

Sounds as that DVR+ overloads easily.

The tuner in the DVR+ does seem to overload easily without a clear indication that is the problem. It doesn't help that signal strength indication stops at 100%. The only other diagnostic information provided is signal quality with no direct indication of the error rate or signal to noise ratio. When my amplifier was providing too much signal, the DVR+ indicated 100% signal with a good picture most of the time, but then the picture would suddenly break up and the signal quality would fluctuate and drop, sometimes to zero. It helps to go through each channel one at time to see what the signal strength and quality are.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3600#post_24733184

How many channels are you receiving? I receive about 17 channels and have not had problems with the DVR+ responding to commands from the remote. If you have a lot of channels, try deleting the ones you don't use and see if that helps.

If you just want to see what's on other channels at the same time as you're viewing a program, instead of using the Guide button, you can use the "up" and "down" functions on the Navigation control to see whats on the other channels.
The original scan brought up 75 channels. I reduced that to 31 and expect to delete a few more after viewing them a while. I expect to keep 20 or so ultimately. Even with 31 it's been sluggish although better since the reset. Thanks for the up/down button tip. I also determined it's a lot faster to do a search in order to schedule a future recording than it is to try and navigate through the guide to get to a future date.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusmc  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3630#post_24733729

The original scan brought up 75 channels. I reduced that to 31 and expect to delete a few more after viewing them a while. I expect to keep 20 or so ultimately. Even with 31 it's been sluggish although better since the reset. Thanks for the up/down button tip. I also determined it's a lot faster to do a search in order to schedule a future recording than it is to try and navigate through the guide to get to a future date.

The Blue button will jump you forward 1 day in the guide. the Yellow button will jump you backward 1 day in the guide. The Red button will jump you backward 3 hours, or one screen, in the guide. The Green button will take you into a search screen in the guide. As far as I can find, there is no jump forward 3 hour function.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebase322  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3630#post_24733760

The Blue button will jump you forward 1 day in the guide. the Yellow button will jump you backward 1 day in the guide. The Red button will jump you backward 3 hours, or one screen, in the guide. The Green button will take you into a search screen in the guide. As far as I can find, there is no jump forward 3 hour function.
Ah! That's what I was looking for. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebase322  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3630#post_24733760

it would be great if channel master can add an on-screen display of the color-coded buttons and their uses into the ui wherever the buttons can be used.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I've read through the last 20 or so pages of this thread hoping to get some insight on whether or not to buy a DVR+. My Samsung HDTV converter box recently failed and I'm looking for something to replace it. I thought a DVR would be nice. After reading all this, though, I'm wondering if any of you recommend purchasing a new DVR+, or should I look at some other device. How about the PHD-VRX2 or another model of PHD? I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
 @LAshbaugh Despite the DVR+s drawbacks, it is still a new product and in active development. YES I would highly recommend you purchase one. I for one (no longer) have any problems at all with mine. It records all of my shows, and plays them back without error or problem.

If it doesn't meet your personal standards, CM more than stands by the 30 day money back guarantee (I was offered the option almost 60 days after purchase. All of those problems were resolved with a different antenna and FW updates).

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/3630#post_24734634

it would be great if channel master can add an on-screen display of the color-coded buttons and their uses into the ui wherever the buttons can be used.
More info can be found at the ChannelMaster documentation web page , especially in the DVR Plus User Guide.  Although, I do agree that an on-screen guide for the colored buttons would be helpful.

3621 - 3640 of 18057 Posts