AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 18057 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr#post_23522775

I tried the Channel Master version of the Pal and it turned out that a "known issue" was a audio and video glitch every 32 seconds on my local Fox affiliate.
Must be rare - I follow the DTVPal & CM-7000Pal threads closely and this is the first time I've heard of such an issue (and needless to say I haven't experienced it myself). Where did you discover it was a known issue?

BTW, another alternative you may consider is DVICO's TViX 6620. It has a short EPG and issues with Ion, though. But if you delete Fox from your Pal and Ion from the 6620, you should still have your bases covered

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is from page one, item 12 of the official AVS Dish DTV Pal DVR topic. (too long of a post to edit out the rest of a quote)

Audio/Video dropouts every 30-32 seconds on certain channels.

The DTVPal DVR exhibits A/V dropouts every 30-32 seconds on some channels. This appears to be an incompatibility between the DTVPal DVR and the encoder and/or PSIP settings used by some broadcasters. This is not a common issue.

Just my luck.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
that was very rare occasion and really no one get into it deep enough to understand, the description of the reason is vague and totally incorrect (PSIP can't distort video/audio); I did ask to record the stream and play by VLC to see diag messages, but no one is interesting get it, just talking

it become red herring

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm really having excellent success with both my Dish DTVPal (3+ years) and my more recent acquisition in December 2012 of the CM7400. Both have performed well, though the CM7400 is clearly less stable and far less capable of functioning without the (free) station-supplied data feed vs. the paid schedule feed. The CM7400's menu and associated number keystrokes to accomplish a particular task are also far less efficient.

I trust that in this next iteration, the Channel Master folks will learn from their UI mistakes on the CM7400. As a grizzled veteran of the now DirectTV-owned ReplayTV operation here in the Silicon Valley, I'd suggest that EchoStar and CM could learn from the near-perfect UI that Replay had created. Curiously, even though a veritable phalanx of Madison Avenue and Network lawyers forced a shutdown in Replay's "Automatic Commercial Advance" algorithm, it has been interesting to see how Dish/EchoStar has enabled similar automatic commercial skipping technology in their Hopper product.

On my wish list for the CM7400 replacement: Commercial skipping. And should they see another phalanx moving in their direction, just make this skipping function an undocumented "manually activated feature" like on the Tivo.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
For those that aren't aware, CM is a name only. Not unlike many other "brand names" that were acquired by some other (usually) non-related company to make a fast buck with the customer loosing.

I came across this, though a somewhat unusual reference, but it still told the story;
Quote:
Channel Master was acquired by Andrew Corporation in July 2003, then the Channel Master division was acquired by PCT international in October 2006. My employment with PCT continued thru July 2010 when all Smithfield operations were consolidated to other PCT locations.
http://www.indeed.com/r/Dene-Cooke/550ccce1d1cf3d6f

Interestingly, there is nothing in their "About" page regarding the CM name;
http://www.pctinternational.com/

I was hoping being taken over by Andrew would be an advantage, but that didn't last.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Let’s see, did I get this correct?

2T storage for DVR without hard drive, just really nice chips

4 OTA tuner minimum with 6 for the upgrade model; with tuners that actually work.

A real guide program data that is accurate! And updated at least twice a day for last minute scheduling changes.

PSIP for back up guide and when that fails manual record by date and time.

At least 20th century “Transport Controls” with user definable Smart Queues, ultra high speed time slicing for all scanning levels (non-jerky), user definable book marks, 5 level slo-mo.

Multiple sourcing for “clock” with manual over ride, and user selectable.

User definable and stored “keyword” search for when the Season Pass and Wish List do not do the job.

User definable Grid Layout. Take what the Sony did and improve it by 10 times.

Bug Free software and firmware with “fixes” that actually work.

Price it at $99 with Guide included.

I am sure TiVo will prevent any of this happening since they have a patent on creating planet earth.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
There are probably a dozen of those available over in China (and probably most other countries).

(I'd be happy for two tuners and a price tag of $300 for all of that)

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr#post_23554605

For those that aren't aware, CM is a name only. Not unlike many other "brand names" that were acquired by some other (usually) non-related company to make a fast buck with the customer loosing.

I came across this, though a somewhat unusual reference, but it still told the story;
http://www.indeed.com/r/Dene-Cooke/550ccce1d1cf3d6f

Interestingly, there is nothing in their "About" page regarding the CM name;
http://www.pctinternational.com/

I was hoping being taken over by Andrew would be an advantage, but that didn't last.
As noted, the Smithfield, NC production facility for Channel Master was shut down in 2010. That was the end of the original Channel Master antenna designs made in the USA. Channel Master now operates as a separate division of PCT now headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona. Antennas are subcontracted and made in China. The PCT/CM distribution amps are among their better made current products.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr#post_23554655

2T storage for DVR without hard drive, just really nice chips

4 OTA tuner minimum with 6 for the upgrade model; with tuners that actually work.

A real guide program data that is accurate! And updated at least twice a day for last minute scheduling changes.

PSIP for back up guide and when that fails manual record by date and time.

At least 20th century “Transport Controls” with user definable Smart Queues, ultra high speed time slicing for all scanning levels (non-jerky), user definable book marks, 5 level slo-mo.

Multiple sourcing for “clock” with manual over ride, and user selectable.

User definable and stored “keyword” search for when the Season Pass and Wish List do not do the job.

User definable Grid Layout. Take what the Sony did and improve it by 10 times.

Bug Free software and firmware with “fixes” that actually work.

I am sure TiVo will prevent any of this happening since they have a patent on creating planet earth.
Can we get wireless n and a, OTT stuff like Amazon, etc., Pandora, etc., yradio, SiriusXM, user selectable ntp, 20 or 30 diagnostic screens, and USB inputs? I'd pay at least a dollar more to make it an even $100.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr#post_23554655

. . .

I think $99 is a little too steep. It won't sell well at walmart for that price.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here's a posting at SolidSignal.com regarding the new Channel Master K77 DVRs.

On another note I called Channel Master and asked when the K77 DVRs would be available for purchase. I was told it would be "in the next 2 to 3 months-in the last quarter of this year."

·
Registered
13,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23559178

I don't know why people persist in thinking that quality guide data should be free.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23559482

I don't know why people persist in thinking that quality guide data should be free.
if not pedaling a word "quality ", but use other one: reasonable or like that, that would means a week of info ... why not ? many stations do produce a week of PSIP info, perhaps more for giving to ROVI, TitanTV, etc

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23559178

On another note I called Channel Master and asked when the K77 DVRs would be available for purchase. I was told it would be "in the next 2 to 3 months-in the last quarter of this year."
That's what they told me as well. But if they are still in the development stage, then perhaps it may be more reasonable to expect sometime next year.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23559616

.....if they are still in the development stage, then perhaps it may be more reasonable to expect sometime next year.

I would tend to think that this FCC approval to market a DVR in the USA without analog tuners is simply a formality and will not hold up development of the DVR. I would bet engineering and development are continuing at full-speed based on the eventual "official" FCC approval.

The DTVPal DVR was marketed and sold beginning in 2008. It did not have analog tuners and that was even before the digital transition took place in 2009. I therefore see no reason for this analog-tuner issue to hold up this new K77 DVR. Of course there could be delays for other reasons.....

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
It is delays for other reasons that I am concerned about. The previous CM-7400 was pushed back a year if I recall correctly. But perhaps EchoStar is more of a proven performer and the K-77 will emerge sooner than later.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23561765

It is delays for other reasons that I am concerned about. The previous CM-7400 was pushed back a year if I recall correctly. But perhaps EchoStar is more of a proven performer and the K-77 will emerge sooner than later.
The original Dish DTVPal DVR (Echostar) was shipped a full year after it was announced. Then after release it took another 6 months (during which time sales were suspended for a couple months) to get the firmware debugged enough to make it marketable. Afterwards the product was orphaned and the firmware was never developed further. Don't depend on Echostar for timely performance.

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23562047

The original Dish DTVPal DVR (Echostar) was shipped a full year after it was announced. Then after release it took another 6 months (during which time sales were suspended for a couple months) to get the firmware debugged enough to make it marketable. Afterwards the product was orphaned and the firmware was never developed further. Don't depend on Echostar for timely performance.
Exactly !

It's well known history of the company: they never delivered in promised time. Usually new device come later in a year or two, with a lot of bugs.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
What I was trying to say was that the EchoStar DVR Pal version was more of a proven performer than the CM-7400 turned out to be from a different manufacturer. And usually it does seem to take a delay of a year or more after the product is first announced before it actually becomes available. It would be great if it appears by year's end, but I am skeptical.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23562318

It's well known history of the company: they never delivered in promised time. Usually new device come later in a year or two, with a lot of bugs.

Just imagine the state of development were they to ship on time! Customers would be alpha testers. Or worse, if there is a name for such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/1481183/channel-master-k77-echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/30#post_23562989

It would be great if it appears by year's end, but I am skeptical.

IIRC, the Hopper appeared very shortly after it's announcement.

21 - 40 of 18057 Posts