AVS Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder if in the future the two units will share the same circuit board. From a manufacturing point of view I wouldn't think it would make sense to make two unique boards in this case.

For me, $150 is to high of a premium. I guess they had to price at this point if they wanted to sell the USB drive for $100.

As for the guide, it would nice to know how long it will be supported even if it means a small fee down the road. I have the same reservation with the Tablo and Simple.TV.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Spoke with Channel Master's people this AM. While it's too early to elaborate publicly, there are some good apps in the pipeline I think folks will appreciate.
Dave's news and the news about the internal drive version makes my day ... to me it means there's more support coming to this product, which is always good to know when you're constantly using it.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
New CM DVR

Anybody know whether the new DVR with 1TB HD has an updated, stronger tuner? If it doesn't it's certainly not worth the price. Why in the world CM would concentrate on including a built in hard drive when the box can barely pick up any stations is beyond me! Where are their priorities!!!! Get back to the basics first CM...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Anybody know whether the new DVR with 1TB HD has an updated, stronger tuner? If it doesn't it's certainly not worth the price. Why in the world CM would concentrate on including a built in hard drive when the box can barely pick up any stations is beyond me! Where are their priorities!!!! Get back to the basics first CM...
Because the built-in drive was designed in from the beginning.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Anybody know whether the new DVR with 1TB HD has an updated, stronger tuner? If it doesn't it's certainly not worth the price.
I would think the hardware is fixed at this point and any other development work will be around the firmware. They are probably going to try and fill out their streaming channels with the popular stuff first. Remember, this was not a ground-up build. Echostar adapted an existing European model DVR to come up with the DVR+ hardware. If there is any change in tuner it probably won't happen until the next model in a couple years -- if there is a next model. Until then about the only thing you can do is fiddle with your antenna configuration. Fortunately, they seem to have a liberal return policy for people with reception issues.

As to the price, $400 for a complete unit with HDD is right in line with their previous $400 pricing of the CM-7000 & CM-7400. The 2-tuner DVR+ competes with TiVo as a mid-range alternative OTA DVR and is priced well below the $670 for a 4-tuner TiVo+guide. People who don't want to pay for TiVo's advanced features buy one of these. People who think these are still too rich for their blood move further down the food chain to the low-end 1-tuner units that function like digital VCR's.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Plus the fact that it has the Video Glitches. I would hate to spend $400 and have the Video Glitches.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Plus the fact that it has the Video Glitches. I would hate to spend $400 and have the Video Glitches.
You would think that if they sold a complete unit with HDD that they would use a HDD that was adequate to the task and didn't have the stuttering issues some people reported. I don't recall anyone ever reporting the CM-7000 or CM-7400 had stuttering issues.

I would sure like to know the make/model of the 2.5" HDD they use.

·
Registered
440 Posts
During one of my few conversations with CM, I mentioned this popular forum as a great source of very helpful information and support, also while referencing commentary regarding the tuner (positive and not so). The rep seemed to know. Actually, it was later that day that I got a call back from that rep, asking that I not return the device, that they'd extend the warranty beyond 30 days in order to try resolving the reception issue.

In this day and age, it's very commonplace to have a presence on such popular sites (see Tablo), or to at least be aware of what's being said; as it is truly valuable input that companies often pay for and should cherish.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Update #1

I'll refrain from reciting the whole story and skip right to the Bottom Line: Monday, somebody from Channelmaster reached out to me. He agreed my situation could've been handled better, and gave me a choice: He'd send me a new remote or a pre-paid return label. During the conversation he reiterated his and CM's feeling that the DVR+ was a great product and that he felt that, had I been able to give it a fair go, I'd probably love it.

Well, when a vendor representative goes out of their way to reach out to me, I feel the effort should be rewarded by giving that vendor a chance to get my business. So I asked him to send me the replacement remote. Although I told him "no hurry," he overnighted it, anyway. I received it yesterday. Unlike the original remote: It works :)

Preliminary results and impressions...

First off: The tuners. Yep, they're a bit (?) weaker than that in our Samsung TV. There are several weaker, inconsequential, channels it didn't catch, and two that suffer breakup. Of those latter two: Only one is very important, and it's a duplicate (PBS). So, providing the thing passes the first stormy weather test on the other channels: We'll be okay with the tuner performance.

Networking: I ran into a couple issues. At first I thought I'd also gotten a bum WiFi adaptor. Turned out you have to explicitly check the WiFi radio button for it to see the adaptor. Once I did that, it was straight-forward... except... I found I couldn't perform a software update via WiFi. It tried, and failed. Luckily I have an Ethernet bridge right there, so I was able to supply it a wired connection for that. The upgrade went smoothly, after which I switched it back to the WiFi connection.

Other than those items... to be honest: I wanted to dislike the thing. The whole deal with the remote and so forth put me in a bad frame-of-mind regarding it. I wanted to dislike it, but I couldn't. In fact: So far the DVR+ strikes me as a very neat bit of kit!

Even the remote. I haven't tried to program it for the TV or anything, yet. Besides: I have an MX-500 Home Theater Master. But the remote, at least for running the DVR+, seems fine to me. Certainly not the worst I've ever used.

One thing, Channelmaster: I know it's a Channelmaster DVR. The PSIP pop-up when you change channels is nice, and the uptime delay is perfect, but could you maybe reduce the size of your self-advertizing banner, please?

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found I couldn't perform a software update via WiFi. It tried, and failed. Luckily I have an Ethernet bridge right there, so I was able to supply it a wired connection for that. The upgrade went smoothly, after which I switched it back to the WiFi connection.
Mine was the same thing... though I then tried a 3rd time, and forced myself to be patient, and it finally updated via WIFI. But as I recall the error it was showing seemed to imply that it was a WIFI issue, even though in hindsight I think it actually just needed more time. And when it did the firmware update it took a very long time to do the download. Literally about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Networking: I ran into a couple issues. At first I thought I'd also gotten a bum WiFi adaptor. Turned out you have to explicitly check the WiFi radio button for it to see the adaptor. Once I did that, it was straight-forward... except... I found I couldn't perform a software update via WiFi. It tried, and failed. Luckily I have an Ethernet bridge right there, so I was able to supply it a wired connection for that. The upgrade went smoothly, after which I switched it back to the WiFi connection.
What were the firmware releases that you were trying to upload from and to?

Your experience was common until the most recent firmware upgrade, which I read as the fixed the bug not in the most recent firmware but rather in the previous one.

Chuck

·
Registered
104 Posts
4161 - 4180 of 17991 Posts