AVS Forum banner

6281 - 6300 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well that is troublesome. Is there an info screen on the DVR+ that shows how many recording hours the attached disk provides? If there is then let's compare what your unit says to someone's with a 1TB drive attached.
Thanks Kelson. Yes, it's very troublesome!:frown:

I can't find anything in the DVR+ menus that shows information on "recording hours". That would be a nice feature!

The DVR+ shows the overall size of the attached disk as 2794 GB under Settings, Technical Info, STB Health, but nothing on the size of each partition.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well that is troublesome. Is there an info screen on the DVR+ that shows how many recording hours the attached disk provides? If there is then let's compare what your unit says to someone's with a 1TB drive attached.
I have a 1TB drive, with 91 hours recorded, and the drive is 61% used. That equals 149 hours to fill it. A 2TB drive should be about 300. A properly formatted 3TB drive should be about 450.

All of that on my machine is either 720p or 1080i. At 480i (SD), you'd get lots more, but I don't have much occasion to record those channels.

Here's a simple test to do if your drive is empty or nearly empty: make an HD recording that (when added to whatever is already recorded) makes the total recorded 24Hrs. If your "Used" percentage is about 16%, that's a 1TB partition; if it's about 8% it's a 2TB partition; and if it's only about 5% it's a 3TB partition. If you don't want to wait 24 hours, scale that down by a factor of 2 (12Hrs.) or 4 (6Hrs) and you still should be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
The DVR+ shows the overall size of the attached disk as 2794 GB . . . but nothing on the size of each partition.
Well, that's revealing. It recognizes the drive capacity. Perhaps the OS will dynamically allocate unused space to enlarge the partition as it is needed. Try what @frank70 has suggested and see what it says.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Only 2TB of a 3TB drive formatted by DVR+

I have a 1TB drive, with 91 hours recorded, and the drive is 61% used. That equals 149 hours to fill it. A 2TB drive should be about 300. A properly formatted 3TB drive should be about 450.

All of that on my machine is either 720p or 1080i. At 480i (SD), you'd get lots more, but I don't have much occasion to record those channels.

Here's a simple test to do if your drive is empty or nearly empty: make an HD recording that (when added to whatever is already recorded) makes the total recorded 24Hrs. If your "Used" percentage is about 16%, that's a 1TB partition; if it's about 8% it's a 2TB partition; and if it's only about 5% it's a 3TB partition. If you don't want to wait 24 hours, scale that down by a factor of 2 (12Hrs.) or 4 (6Hrs) and you still should be able to tell the difference.
Well, that's revealing. It recognizes the drive capacity. Perhaps the OS will dynamically allocate unused space to enlarge the partition as it is needed. Try what @frank70 has suggested and see what it says.
Ok, I guess that's good for an approximation. After Frank's post I looked for, and found, where the DVR+ reports the "Used" percentage (press the DVR button). I reformatted the drive, and programmed one full day of what's on the local PBS HD channel. I'll monitor the Used Percentage now and then to see what it reveals.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Well, that's revealing. It recognizes the drive capacity. Perhaps the OS will dynamically allocate unused space to enlarge the partition as it is needed.
I thought it had already been determined that the DVR+ creates two partitions on any drive you connect to it and uses the smaller one to manage its proprietary metadata storehouse while the larger partition stores your recordings. I thought it had also been determined that you couldn't change the sizes of the two partitions. Am I wrong on this?

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
I thought it had already been determined that the DVR+ creates two partitions on any drive you connect to it and uses the smaller one to manage its proprietary metadata storehouse while the larger partition stores your recordings. I thought it had also been determined that you couldn't change the sizes of the two partitions. Am I wrong on this?
At this point it beats me. But if you look at the screen shots it clearly shows almost a TB of unallocated space on the HDD yet the DVR+ reports an amount of space available for recording that is appropriate for a 3TB drive. My guess is that the DVR+ will use the full drive. I couldn't guess how the OS is managing the HDD.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes, that's how it works. The smaller partition is around 1GB and only contains small index and metadata files (like the show title, date, time, etc.). The larger partition should be the remainder of the drive, which means for a 1TB drive, it should be about 1023GB; for a 2TB drive it should be about 2047GB; and for a 3TB drive it should be about 3071GB.

Partitions larger than 2TB do require the drive be formatted GPT, not MBR (different partition table formats), but any reasonably current linux system supports GPT and ext4 partitions larger than 2TB, so that shouldn't be an issue. After all, CM sells a 3TB drive specifically targeted to the DVR+, so surely they (via Echostar) know how to format it.

Perhaps ext2fsd under Windows 8.1 is mis-reporting the partition size (i.e.: maybe it is not GPT capable). pachinko may want to try taking a look at the drive on a linux system and see what parted has to say about it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Partitions larger than 2TB do require the drive be formatted GPT, not MBR (different partition table formats), but any reasonably current linux system supports GPT and ext4 partitions larger than 2TB, so that shouldn't be an issue. After all, CM sells a 3TB drive specifically targeted to the DVR+, so surely they (via Echostar) know how to format it.

Perhaps ext2fsd under Windows 8.1 is mis-reporting the partition size (i.e.: maybe it is not GPT capable). pachinko may want to try taking a look at the drive on a linux system and see what parted has to say about it.
It’s not just Ext2Fsd reporting the partition size is only 2TB, the Windows Disk Manager shows the same thing, with unallocated space of 747 GB. The next time I mount the disk on Windows, I’ll check Properties in Disk Manager to see if it shows the USB partitions as GPT, but at the moment the DVR+ is busy recording to it.

I don’t know anyone with a Linux system to check it that way.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
How can the Windows Disk Manager report the drive's allocation when it doesn't understand ext filesystems? The whole point of ext2fsd was to enable Windows to understand *nix filesystems that Microsoft didn't support natively, so I wouldn't trust what the Disk Manager says, unless it's using ext2fsd as a service to interpret the drive (in which case it would also be subject to whatever bugs ext2fsd has).

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

How can the Windows Disk Manager report the drive's allocation when it doesn't understand ext filesystems? The whole point of ext2fsd was to enable Windows to understand *nix filesystems that Microsoft didn't support natively, so I wouldn't trust what the Disk Manager says, unless it's using ext2fsd as a service to interpret the drive (in which case it would also be subject to whatever bugs ext2fsd has).
Yes, once Ext2Fsd is used to assign drive letters, Windows uses the Ext2Fsd Services and recognizes the Linux drive. Even File Explorer and other File Managers see it, which is how files can be copied from the Linux drive. Please view the screenshots of the drives in both Ext2Fsd and Windows Disk Manager that I posted in my original posting on this matter earlier today.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You ol' softy!

I really like the DVR+ and know it has some short comings in comparison to other "high end" more expensive products, but I'm quite happy with how it works and am thrilled to be saving $100 a month in cable bills. I read this thread every other day or so and really appreciate the people that post tips and tricks and help me learn more about the device I'm so happy to have. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to all those that contribute to the cause and help increase the knowledge and abilities of the userbase with the product. I've learned a lot!
How come you left out the skewering of those who seem to only complain here? :D:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's Nothing New

I didn't know until I found this link that you could have more than one DVR+ in the same room
without the units conflicting with each other. Hope this helps someone...
Perhaps CM/EchoStar picked this up from Panasonic or some other mfr. that provided this convenience over 10 yrs. ago. It came in handy when my old DVR and my current Blu-ray both responded to the remote. I only wish that CM had also borrowed other features from that old DVR. But that's just me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
2 Pricey

I didn't know until I found this link that you could have more than one DVR+ in the same room
without the units conflicting with each other. Hope this helps someone...
Wait....you had the money for multiple DVR+s in the same room?? How fortunate for you!
Any TiVo's in the house? Never mind.

(Funny, I'm listening to a song that mentions that "Money don't grow on trees"! Coinky-dink.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Provided Remote May Not Do It All

For the new buyers I would like t mention a couple of things that have been posted by folk smarter than me.

1. If you do not like the remote - there is remote that looks and feels like DISH product remotes that 'learns' the the DVR+ buttons in a more user friendly way (search for 20.1 IR) EBAY had them for 6-7 $.
This reminds me: Some devices have certain operations that are not reflected on their respective remotes. If anyone learns of any such thing on the DVR+, please mention it here. Maybe there's a universal remote that will provide such a function. As I recall, my old Sony DVR supposedly has a last-channel operation for which the orig. remote doesn't have a button. That's just plain silly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Perspective

"You don't know what you've got 'til you've got it"
-- or my preferred alternative, "You don't know what you have 'til you have it." Either way, it makes no sense. ;)

Once you have the capability and use it, you can never go back. I can't see how anyone could make due with only 2 OTA tuners -- I actually have 6 available. :D
On the one hand, I fully understand that. On the other hand, I hope that when we think of all the suffering in the world, animals becoming extinct and all that, we find it just a wee bit easier to do without certain things. Make no mistake, there more A-holes on this forum than you would imagine. Myself included.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
It’s not just Ext2Fsd reporting the partition size is only 2TB, the Windows Disk Manager shows the same thing, with unallocated space of 747 GB. The next time I mount the disk on Windows, I’ll check Properties in Disk Manager to see if it shows the USB partitions as GPT, but at the moment the DVR+ is busy recording to it.
This is one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. You reported that as far as the DVR+ is concerned, the attached HDD is providing 2,794GB of recording space which is exactly correct for a formatted 3TB drive.

A 3TB drive contains 3,000,000,000,000 bytes. When divided by multiples of 1024, it formats to 2,794GB or 2.73TB. All my 3TB server drives are listed as 2.72TB formatted in Win-7.
The DVR+ shows the overall size of the attached disk as 2794 GB
So if you never attached that drive to a PC to look at the structure you would never think anything other than, "I have a 3TB drive attached and the DVR+ knows it is a 3TB drive so I have 3TB of recording space."

That reduces the issue to, "Gee, I wonder how the DVR+ is managing the HDD because the structure I see is not what I would have expected."

So as far as your recording capacity is concerned, don't sweat it. You have 3TB capacity -- which, by the way, is a hell of a lot. I've dedicated a 3TB drive on my Media-PC/server to store TiVo recordings -- I currently have 210 1hr HDTV shows stored on it from this year and last season and have used only 40% of the drive. The shows come from all the networks, so if I were to extrapolate, you could reasonably expect ~525hr of recording capacity. That's like the ability to collect 20+ full seasons of shows with room to spare.

·
Registered
279 Posts
"Recording hours" and much more

... I can't find anything in the DVR+ menus that shows information on "recording hours". That would be a nice feature!

The DVR+ shows the overall size of the attached disk as 2794 GB under Settings, Technical Info, STB Health, but nothing on the size of each partition.
Hey, guess what my old Panasonic DVR had! As you switched from one recording quality to the next, it showed you how many hours were left at each "speed". Yet another nice feature lost over time. Go figure. "Dumb and dumber" seems to apply to our ever-evolving video recorders.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
@SirCrow

You gotta stop smoking that stuff before you sit down to post. ;)

6281 - 6300 of 17993 Posts