AVS Forum banner

9001 - 9020 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody have any tips for static pop when fast-forwarding using optical audio cable? Doesn't seem to happen when I FF 2X but when I FF 8X there is always a loud static pop through the speakers.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Made the jump to 124R today. Here are some of my observations:

First, not only can you hide/unhide the new Internet channels, you can also hide/unhide streaming services (Vudu, etc.), and ordinary antenna channels. Good! But apparently you can't delete antenna channels any more, so once a channel gets scanned in, the only way to remove it is to do a full rescan when the channel can't be received (such as with the antenna disconnected). Bad!

What if the channel scan finds a channel via tropo that conflicts with a local channel, so my local channel ends up as channel 100 or some such nonsense? We need both hide and delete capability for unwanted antenna channels.

I haven't checked all the Internet channels yet, but at least one three weren't working when I last checked (June 27). Two showed a box saying "We are currently experiencing issues with this channel and working (sic) to get them resolved as soon as possible." Hope CM gets all the Internet channels working soon. Would also like to see them get program listings working on the Internet channels. Some seem to be out of sync with the same channels on Dish Network; if so, I can't use their guide.. Good that TitanTV has them, but surely CM, E*, and Rovi together can come up with something.

I was hoping that, with the blue button now relegated to a mere "shortcut" into the EPG, CM/E* would at least have restored 108R's "move left" shortcut from the recordings list to the DVR menu. But both "move left" and a second press of the DVR button merely dismiss the recordings list. The only way into the "Schedule" or "Series Options" lists now appears to be through the main menu. Dumb. But I do like the new "non-scrolling" main menu: it's quicker to navigate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was hoping that, with the blue button now relegated to a mere "shortcut" into the EPG, CM/E* would at least have restored 108R's "move left" shortcut from the recordings list to the DVR menu. But both "move left" and a second press of the DVR button merely dismiss the recordings list. The only way into the "Schedule" or "Series Options" lists now appears to be through the main menu. Dumb. But I do like the new "non-scrolling" main menu: it's quicker to navigate.
Try the Ffwd button while in the recordings list. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I thought it was fixed.
I have one of two units - only one had the light not working problem - a reset fixes it - I thought the new software fixed it - but it turned up again this am.
will do a reset (when not recording) hope that still works - all functions seem operative without the light.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I thought it was fixed.
I have one of two units - only one had the light not working problem - a reset fixes it - I thought the new software fixed it - but it turned up again this am.
will do a reset (when not recording) hope that still works - all functions seem operative without the light.
Guess they only thought they fixed it ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
At this point, I'm not sure CM broke anything.
It could be a coincidence.
When I plugged my drive back in all my shows were there.
When a few hours later I went to show my success to my wife, the DVR said that a fault on my drive had been detected and it had been disconnected.
I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it was fine again.
But at this point I can't rule out a failing HD.
I've ordered a new drive and I'm going to see if I can copy from the old drive to the new drive.
I'll post updates as I don't want to claim there is a problem with the new release if its just a hardware problem on my HD.
Well, it's not broken for WD My Passport Ultra set to spin down after 10 minutes. It works fine in that regard, even with 124R. The only indication that something is different is that if you press the DVR button within a second or two of bringing the DVR+ out of standby, a screen pops up that complains about the drive being missing. Simply pressing the DVR button twice more corrects that and all is well.

Apparently, the buggyness occurs with drives that take much longer to spin up and become ready, such as those being used by cah95046.

So it's not ALL drives that spin down. But if they had just left it alone (as in 114R) it would have been much better.
Continuing earlier discussions, I think @frank70 got it right, and I suspect @Adoucette 's EHD is not defective. The picture below shows the Premature, and Fasle Error that DVR+ version 124R throws when the USB HDD takes a few seconds too long to spin up, and one of the buttons on the remote control, that accesses the EHD, is pressed before it's ready. It has happened several times, and each time after waiting a few seconds (as @frank70 stated), pressing a button clear things up. All is well after that, existing recordings play okay, new recordings can be made, and DVR Setup shows "External Storage Device" as the storage media. I have not seen any issues with scheduled recordings awakening the EHD in time for the recording to be made. This EHD is my 3TB WD My Book model WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN (external power supply). I haven't tested a 1TB WD My Passport yet. Prior to 124R, this never happened.

Edit: It appears this is not the case under certain conditions, in particular the one documented by @cah95046, where a USB Enclosure is used to run a 3.5 inch WD 2TB RED SATA hard drive (and perhaps other disks drives as well), and the only remedy found is to disconnect and reconnect the drive.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
BTW it looks like CM has more Internet channels than TitanTV lists:
  • 202, 341-343, 501-503, 554-556: Not listed by TitanTV
  • 264, 303, 304, 551, 553: Listed, but no meaningful data. TitanTV just shows "local programming" :confused:
Some of these may just be too new for TitanTV to have added yet, and will appear soon. Others may simply not have anything to meaningfully list (e.g., ABC News Digital)

·
Registered
263 Posts
So I hard my 1st issue tonight, turned on my DVR+ and it said something along the lines my Hard Drive was not detected and the DVR function would be disabled. I just unplugged the USB cable from the drive (Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics USB 3.0 ) and plugged it back in. It then asked if I wanted to use that drive, I said continue and after running 30 seconds worth of checks my drive was added and my shows were still on the drive. Hope this is not a reoccurring issue related to the new Firmware.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
So I hard my 1st issue tonight, turned on my DVR+ and it said something along the lines my Hard Drive was not detected and the DVR function would be disabled. I just unplugged the USB cable from the drive (Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics USB 3.0 ) and plugged it back in. It then asked if I wanted to use that drive, I said continue and after running 30 seconds worth of checks my drive was added and my shows were still on the drive. Hope this is not a reoccurring issue related to the new Firmware.
Did it say something more in line with what I posted a couple of posts up? If it did, or maybe even if it wasn't that same message, if it happens again try waiting 15 seconds and press the DVR button. That might just clear things up, and is a lot faster that reconnecting the EHD. Also, after pressing the ON button, wait 15 seconds before pressing any button that accesses the EHD. That works for me to avoid the message I posted. If you just want to view the Guide, you don't have to wait.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did it say something more in line with what I posted a couple of posts up? If it did, or maybe even if it wasn't that same message, if it happens again try waiting 15 seconds and press the DVR button. That might just clear things up, and is a lot faster that reconnecting the EHD. Also, after pressing the ON button, wait 15 seconds before pressing any button that accesses the EHD. That works for me to avoid the message I posted. If you just want to view the Guide, you don't have to wait.

Thanks, missed your original post. I was busy cooking dinner and when my 4 year old told me about the error, I did not read it verbatim as I was in a hurry. But I bet you are correct about access the DVR before the EHD spins up completely.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Continuing earlier discussions, I think @frank70 got it right, and I suspect @Adoucette 's EHD is not defective. The picture below shows the Premature, and Fasle Error that DVR+ version 124R throws when the USB HDD takes a few seconds too long to spin up, and one of the buttons on the remote control, that accesses the EHD, is pressed before it's ready. It has happened several times, and each time after waiting a few seconds (as @frank70 stated), pressing a button clear things up. All is well after that, existing recordings play okay, new recordings can be made, and DVR Setup shows "External Storage Device" as the storage media. I have not seen any issues with scheduled recordings awakening the EHD in time for the recording to be made. This EHD is my 3TB WD My Book model WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN (external power supply). I haven't tested a 1TB WD My Passport yet. Prior to 124R, this never happened.

This is the error message I get with 124R. In my case there is no way (waiting or pressing buttons doesn't help) out of it short of disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it. Since the error also occurs when the DVR+ tries to record a previously scheduled program coming out of standby, the program doesn't record.

I'm using a 3.5 in WD 2T RED drive in a USB enclosure that worked flawlessly (not a single problem) since it was originally installed six months ago with 114R. Since I'm back to 114R it is of course working flawlessly now.

CM was kind enough to have a conference call with me on this problem and hopefully they can reproduce it and fix it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't tested a 1TB WD My Passport yet.
sounds like you guys already have this situation mostly nailed but thought I'd add I do have a 1tb my passport ultra with spin down set to 10 minutes and 124r and it's worked flawlessly. no missed scheduled recordings, no issues at dvr+ power up, etc. the single exception was last week I turned the dvr+ on and got the screenshot pachinko posted but after a couple seconds my recordings screen loaded w/o reconnecting the drive and everything was ok. I usually pull up the channel guide after power on but that time I must've touched an hdd-related dvr+ button a moment too soon.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
This is the error message I get with 124R. In my case there is no way (waiting or pressing buttons doesn't help) out of it short of disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it. Since the error also occurs when the DVR+ tries to record a previously scheduled program coming out of standby, the program doesn't record.

I'm using a 3.5 in WD 2T RED drive in a USB enclosure that worked flawlessly (not a single problem) since it was originally installed six months ago with 114R. Since I'm back to 114R it is of course working flawlessly now.

CM was kind enough to have a conference call with me on this problem and hopefully they can reproduce it and fix it.
Thanks!:) I have edited my post to include the case you've described. I hope the developers do address the issue. Clearly the coders messed up something in 124R since this was not an issue in 114R.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I thought it was fixed.
Guess they only thought they fixed it ;)
Sure enough, my LED went out during a recording today. Sigh....
I'll reset it tomorrow

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have to say, the LSC are coming in handy this morning.

Greece is on the precipice of financial default and Bloomberg has excellent live coverage of the euro debacle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sure enough, my LED went out during a recording today. Sigh....
I'll reset it tomorrow
One of the two DVR+ units in my living room keeps losing it's LED displays (blue & red). Have to turn it on and check the guide/recording list to see that it is still recording. Don't think we should have to keep resetting these things, and I'm not going to do it when I'm in the middle of recordings.

CM - please fix this.

And the CC button you recently screwed up.

And the aspect ratio for 4:3 programs.

And increase the hours and channels visible in the display guide.

And numerous other things that have been bugging users since day one...

9001 - 9020 of 17993 Posts