AVS Forum banner

11261 - 11280 of 18705 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This is a quick review of my experience with the Channel Master DVR+.

I did get a DVR+ through my local Home Depot. When I first opened the box, I was surprised at how thin it is. I connected it last night to AC power, HDMI cable to TV, RG-6 to antenna, and CAT-5 to home DSL internet service.

I scanned in local channels and I found that the ATSC tuner works quite well. Some tuners that I have used have difficulty, since I have an 8-bay antenna in the attic area above my garage. The DVR+ tuners all of my local channels, except a transmitter that is a bit on the fringe. I didn't notice any pixelization or drop outs.

I then tried the streaming channels. I noticed right away that the list had Pandora and Vudu. I think the software version was 111. Anyway, I started the update and went off to do chores around my farm. When I returned quite a few minutes later, it was still updating! Anyway, it finally completed and added a LOT of additional streaming channels. It looks like the premiere streaming channels are Vudu and Sling TV, but there are others, too.

I was slightly surprised that the remote control does not use AA or AAA batteries. Not a big deal to me, but it just seems different.

I did not get the DVR+ USB Wi-Fi adapter. I think that should have been integrated and not sold as an accessory.

I do not have a Tivo, so I am in no position to compare them to one another. Overall, I would say that this is very nice device. I haven't actually tried the recording function yet.
Nice to hear you’ve had good results!:) I am surprised to hear that Home Depot is selling them. Do they carry both the 16GB and 1TB internal HDD models, or just the 1TB model?

When updating via Ethernet or WiFi, the download usually take about 15 minutes or so, and about another 5 minutes for the miscellaneous stuff it does (installing, rebooting).

Yeah, the “flat” remote control uses CR2032 button batteries. Some folks have had issues with poor connections, me for one, and either carefully stretch the coiled springs, or place cardboard shims between the cover and the batteries. CM offers a peanut shaped “Enhanced” remote you can get if you don’t like the flat model, but do some research on it before ordering, in particular how the single power button operates the DVR+ and the TV at the same time (some like, some dislike).

Most agree, the WiFi should be built in, but since you have Ethernet, that’s better, especially when receiving updates (not faster, but stable, WiFi sometimes fails with updates). There are WiFi dongles available from other sources for less than $10, but you have to be very careful as not all of them work with the DVR+, especially those from China, even those that look identical to those that work.

Currently some of us are having serious issues with the number of days that are being provided in the Rovi Guide. It depends on your location (zip code). CM and Rovi are working on it but it’s taking them a long time. Currently mine ends at 9:00 PM tonight. For the past few days it was ending today at 10:30 AM, so at least it updated a little. Out of curiosity, how far out does your Rovi Guide go? If working correctly it will be about 14 days. Read CM description on this issue HERE.

·
Registered
390 Posts
This has to be a regional issue with Rovi and not a DVR+ issue..
I'm in the Charlotte, NC area and have 4 DVR+ units running 132R, all have a full 2 week guide that up dated today.
Yeah. I finally checked my DVR+ that is 132R, and the Rovi guide is out the full 2 weeks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ROVI update not working

I no longer think that this is purely a ROVI issue.

I reset my DVR+ back to the day I received it.

I have a 4k TV and was given a procedure that is same as a software rollback procedure that has been posted here in the past.

I have not connected my USB internet device and am using it the same way I did for the first week of use.

I now only get 6 hours worth of PSIP data on several channels such as NBC.

When the unit was first used I had no less that 3 days of PSIP data.

I am now wondering if the software developers accounted for Leap Year when creating the database.

It seems consequential that this problem surfaced on the very same day of Leap Year.

At this point if a speedy resolution isn't forthcoming the device is not usable as marketed and I will be forced to go thru the RMA process.

I like the DVR+ but now it no longer works so I'll have to find another suitable product.

Any other non-subscription device suggestions are welcome.:mad:

The PSIP data after a few hours has expanded to around 18 hours...better but still not useful enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ROVI update

Yeah. I finally checked my DVR+ that is 132R, and the Rovi guide is out the full 2 weeks.
If you could share the zip you are using I will test it maybe Monday. I know that many channels will not line up but it will at least let me know whether this is truly a local ROVI issue or not.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I am now wondering if the software developers accounted for Leap Year when creating the database.

It seems consequential that this problem surfaced on the very same day of Leap Year.
Interesting observation. If true, I wonder if at the root this problem and the New Year's bug are related. It seems more than coincidental that EPG and scheduling issues occur when there are irregular or infrequent variations in the calendar. But at least the New Year's bug fixed itself after a few days, and according to Channel Master won't be back...until maybe next year.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I no longer think that this is purely a ROVI issue.
I reset my DVR+ back to the day I received it.
I have not connected my USB internet device and am using it the same way I did for the first week of use.
When the unit was first used I had no less that 3 days of PSIP data.
The PSIP data after a few hours has expanded to around 18 hours...better but still not useful enough.
If this were a DVR+ issue, everyone would be having the same issue.. and they are not.. It appears to be a regional issue.
Mine is working fine.. the guide updated to day.. 3/5/2016.. and is out thru march 18th .. 14 days

If you do not connect to the internet the only guide you will get is the PSIP that is broadcast by each station. At best that is going to be 2 or 3 days or none at all.

Having the ROVI guide go out 14 days is nice.. BUT I suspect that some of the ROVI issues posted here where a user goes out in the schedule for the next week and schedules recordings..In the mean time the schedule changes or like in my case the Wife comes along and schedules something she wants and creates a conflict.. and thus a "ROVI / DVR+" issue..

That is why she now has her own 2 DVR+ units and I have mine.. End of conflict.. End of issues..

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
For those having Rovi guide issues, it may be better to disconnect the Internet (or enter a bogus Zip code like 00000) and do a full rescan of channels. At least that way you'll have the PSIP guides broadcast by the TV stations (typically 12-72 hours although it varies by station) until this blows over.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I have a 4k TV and was given a procedure that is same as a software rollback procedure that has been posted here in the past.

PSIP data usually doesn't go very far. The FCC requires full-power stations to broadcast 12 hours, and low-power stations don't have to broadcast anything. Some do more but others just do the minimum.

What firmware version did you roll back to?

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
Unless you live in Arizona, Hawaii and various other US territories that do not observe Day Light Saving Time..
Correct. I guess zipcode matters right now.
The following areas in the United States don't use DST and clocks will not change: Arizona (except Navajo Nation Community, which does use DST), Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and The United States Virgin Islands.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you could share the zip you are using I will test it maybe Monday. I know that many channels will not line up but it will at least let me know whether this is truly a local ROVI issue or not.
Thanks in advance.
Any of the Twin Cities MN zip codes should work... but try 55306.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't own a tivo, but IIRC from other posts in this massive thread (you can look back if you like... tivo owners can comment if I am not correct), tivo records in a proprietary format and it is not possible of transfer your videos to a computer for archiving certain programs, or whatever you may want to do with the video files. DVR+ records on a standard Linux formatted hard drive using the Linux standard EXP4 file system, using a streaming video file format that some players have no difficulty playing, and others only require a relativiely trivial adjustment made to the file. @pachinko has written a utility that makes transferring the videos, complete with the program description, to your computer. (You need to use an external hard drive with the DVR+, though, since short of taking the DVR+ apart, it provides no mechanism for off-loading the internal drive).
"using a streaming video file format that some players have no difficulty playing, and others only require a relatively trivial adjustment made to the file. "

Can anyone expound on this "relatively trivial adjustment"?

I have had difficulty playing DVR+ generated TS files on DNLA players that have no problem playing TS files created by other devices.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
"using a streaming video file format that some players have no difficulty playing, and others only require a relatively trivial adjustment made to the file. "

Can anyone expound on this "relatively trivial adjustment"?

I have had difficulty playing DVR+ generated TS files on DNLA players that have no problem playing TS files created by other devices.
Read back a few pages where we discuss missing PAT/PMT info from the DVR's TS files.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have been reading up on both devices. So far, the consensus seems to be that TiVo are better than the Channel Master DVR+, BUT you pay for it with Tivo. Either by buying the lifetime service or monthly service. Is that about the bottom line or have I simplified it way too much?

To ask in another way, other than recurring costs, or lack of same, is their anything that the CM DVR+ does better than the Tivos?
The Channel Master DVR+ is a very decent DVR with all the features you would expect in a modern DVR plus some features not found in other DVRs. Features and qualities I appreciate in the DVR+ include...

• Excellent tuners
  • Untethered operation
  • Sling TV
  • CMTV
  • Tunes the expected channel when you press a single number on the remote
  • No moving parts inside the box

Not much matters more than pulling in programming and the DVR+ does it better -- probably because the signal is split two ways not four. Untethered operation means you can use the DVR where there is no ethernet -- which means you do not have to have an ISP to watch television. It also means your DVR will work even after the manufacturer stops supporting it. Sling TV brings nice supplemental programming to the DVR+. CMTV streams linear programming for free. When you press 5 on the remote, the DVR+ tunes 5.1 instead of telling you there is no signal. The hardware should be durable since there are no moving parts in the case. The DVR+ runs cool to the touch even with something sitting on top (BD player in my case).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Rovi Guide is fixed!!

The Rovi Guide issue has been fixed, at least in my area!!!:):):) The guide now goes to Sunday, March 20, 3:00 PM! The CM web page about this has not been updated yet to reflect this, so maybe it's not fixed everywhere.

I refreshed the guide a few hours ago, but didn't check until a few minutes ago. You may have to refresh your guide.

Thanks CM!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Rovi Guide issue has been fixed, at least in my area!!!:):):) The guide now goes to Sunday, March 20, 3:00 PM! The CM web page about this has not been updated yet to reflect this, so maybe it's not fixed everywhere.

I refreshed the guide a few hours ago, but didn't check until a few minutes ago. You may have to refresh your guide.

Thanks CM!
It's fixed in my area too, Chicago. As pachinko mentioned, the guide goes out to March 20. I didn't have to refresh my guide. The DVR+ updated the guide at 12:34PM CST.

Thanks for the heads-up pachinko!

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's fixed in my area too, Chicago. As pachinko mentioned, the guide goes out to March 20. I didn't have to refresh my guide. The DVR+ updated the guide at 12:34PM CST.

Thanks for the heads-up pachinko!
Still not fixed in Montreal area. Did a Rovi refresh and status code is 404. Guide data stops March 8, 7pm.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Not much matters more than pulling in programming and the DVR+ does it better -- probably because the signal is split two ways not four. Untethered operation means you can use the DVR where there is no ethernet -- which means you do not have to have an ISP to watch television. It also means your DVR will work even after the manufacturer stops supporting it. Sling TV brings nice supplemental programming to the DVR+. CMTV streams linear programming for free. When you press 5 on the remote, the DVR+ tunes 5.1 instead of telling you there is no signal. The hardware should be durable since there are no moving parts in the case. The DVR+ runs cool to the touch even with something sitting on top (BD player in my case).
I basically agree; just a few comments, though:

• split two ways not four
    I think that's a red herring. Everyone keeps assuming that the first thing the RF signal hits inside one of these boxes is a passive splitter. That may be the case, but there's no reason to assume the DVR+ or any other box must be built that way. The first thing the signal could hit could just as easily be a low-noise RF amp with enough gain to split the signal as many ways as needed without loss of quality.

Nevertheless, the DVR+ tuners do seem to work very well for most (unfortunately not all) folks.
  • When you press 5 on the remote, the DVR+ tunes 5.1....
    That's because the DVR+ has a digital-only tuner. TVs, in contrast, typically have analog/digital tuners, so when you press 5 they (try to) tune analog 5 instead of digital 5.1. (Analog is still needed for some cable systems, and there are still a tiny number of analog LPTVs on the air, so TVs still have to deal with analog.)
  • ... no moving parts ...
    True for the 16GB model, not the 1TB model ;) (Actually, given the price difference, CM could probably have used a 1TB SSD) :rolleyes:

11261 - 11280 of 18705 Posts