AVS Forum banner

11861 - 11880 of 18282 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Rovi is acquiring DVR pioneer TiVo for about $1.1 billion in cash and stock, bringing together two entertainment-technology companies with sizable patent portfolios.

The company will continue to be led by Rovi CEO Tom Carson, but following the closing of the deal it will adopt TiVo as the new company name.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/tivo-rovi-acquisition-1-1-billion-1201763363/
:kiss:
It's going to be a bit weird if the DVR+ Guide says "Powered By TiVo"?:rolleyes::confused::eek::crying:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Regarding the next firmware fix we were promised .....my guess is it was delayed due to the fixes have caused more errors so they need fixes for those fixes and further testing will drive fixes for the fixes that fixed issues.

Then they will release the firmware and real world use (and testing by owners) will reveal more issues that need fixing and the cycle will begin all over again.:D

·
Registered
838 Posts
Regarding the next firmware fix we were promised .....my guess is it was delayed due to the fixes have caused more errors so they need fixes for those fixes and further testing will drive fixes for the fixes that fixed issues.

Then they will release the firmware and real world use (and testing by owners) will reveal more issues that need fixing and the cycle will begin all over again.:D
They haven't learned to never give a date. A date is a promise. After you miss the date you have not only broken a promise, but you are a damned liar. If you release a new marketing campaign during this time, fix another problem, or add another feature (even if it has been in production for years), you are not only a damned liar but are wasting time on the marketing campaign when those people should have been working on the code.

It is a disaster to release something before it's ready. I would rather wait for a bug fix to a functioning DVR+ than have a brick.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
.......I really can't think of any compelling feature that Channel Master has that would cause people to select it over the TiVo.
Doesn't the CM have the option of working with PSIP and the TiVo doesn't?

Reactions: JHBrandt

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have tried to keep up with this thread, but have no doubt missed and forgotten much, so please bear with me.

How does the CM tuner compare to the DTVPal DVR tuner? I am concerned that my Pal is about to bite the dust, and am considering the CM 7500 or maybe the evil TiVo. I will use it at our RV, where there is no Internet service. Well, there is the ability to turn my iPhone into a hotspot, so I could download an EPG for a short time. The upcoming TiVo will allow a quick download of EPG over the hotspot, and keep it for setting recordings for the next few days. I assume the CM will too. I've done just fine with PSIP data alone for setting up recordings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have both the CM-7000PAL and the DVR+. But both are on a shelf in the closet. I have one station on the edge of recoverability; i.e., low level and subject to multipath. Regardless, most of the time it is viewable via my Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung TVs, as well as my Tivo Roamio, but never by either of the CM tuners.

That said, if the PAL has been satisfactory, and if the DVR+ tuner is at least comparable to the PAL's you might be ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the CM it does not seem to me to be an "option", per se. I rather think PSIP is the sole source of EPG info.

In contrast, Tivo uses 3rd party EPG info providers such as Tribune Media, Time-Warner, [?Rovi in the future?], but also as the sole means of EPG info.

For me this is a short coming of the Tivo. If you happen to get your OTA signal from a translator serving a remote area (as opposed to the station's main transmitter on record with the FCC), and the 3rd party does not keep up with the FCC database, the guide just displays "To be announced" for the station.

Although the PSIP info is available in the decoded ATSC (OTA) signal, the Tivo does not "fall back" to that info. Whether that's because of some limitation in their hardware/software implementation, or they just chose to block it (to force subscriptions), I don't know; maybe both.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The DVR+ defaults to Rovi data for the guide, but will automatically supply PSIP data if Rovi data is not available for a channel(s) due to some issue at Rovi, or the DVR+ is not connected to the Internet, or when a new channel comes online and Rovi does not know about it. Should Rovi ever stop providing data to Channel Master (we do not know what their contract stipulates), unlike TiVo, the DVR+ will continue to operate using PSIP data. There are a few folks on this thread who rely completely on PSIP data for their DVR+, and other than a couple of quirks, it works okay.

For the CM it does not seem to me to be an "option", per se. I rather think PSIP is the sole source of EPG info.
Uhhh?:confused: Please elaborate on PSIP being the "sole" source of guide data on the DVR+. Other than a few times when there was a Rovi issue, the guide data for all of the channels and sub-channels that I receive are all Rovi. That, and when a new channel comes online, the data may be PSIP until Rovi catches up.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
From the CM site: "Internet connection provides automatic software updates, extended 14-day program guide, and access to Internet services"

However, it is not wireless out of the box, so it would be and extra step to get it to connect to my hotspot, using their wireless adapter or another.

I am not quite happy with the reception I have today. I am moving my old CM 4228 antenna up about 25' to see if that helps. But I now realize that a good part of it is the tuner, not the antenna location. But my Sharp TV doesn't seem to do any better with reception.

Sigh. I guess I'll wait until my Pal dies completely before checking to see what's on the market then. Or until I'm tired of the breakups. They certainly seem worse this year. Or the unit is aging.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Uhhh?:confused: Please elaborate on PSIP being the "sole" source of guide data on the DVR+.

WAK! I stand corrected. The DVR+ behavior seems consistent with Pachinko's description and the full text here. On power up without internet connected the EPG gets populated, and it must be from PSIP as that is the only possibility I know of in this case. But at some point after bringing up internet the guide is clearly extended. So while I stand on the comment that it's not an "option" in the sense of not a user "option" but rather the designed in behavior I agree with Pachinko's assessment and I wish Tivo did the same.

Hmmm... I wonder what happens down the road now with Rovi = Tivo . . .

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Basically the PSIP question boils down to: the DVR+ can be used without an Internet connection. TiVo requires a connection to their servers to function.

The DVR+ has a few other advantages: off the top of my head, cost and ease of HDD upgrades (not advantages for the 1TB DVR+ though), no ads, and the way apps are integrated into the guide; I think you could even count Sling TV as an advantage.

And of course TiVo has many advantages of its own. There's a comparison thread for those trying to decide between them.

As for the tuners, my experience is the DVR+ is a bit better than the DTVPal, whose tuners I always thought were decent. As for how they compare with TiVo, I have no idea; but I concur that if you're coming from a DTVPal and tuner performance was OK with the Pal, it should be at least as good with the DVR+.

I'd probably go ahead and get the DVR+ (or TiVo) and not wait for the Pal to die first. They each have a few annoying quirks, so having both DVRs running at once will give you time to get used to your new DVR's way of doing things before the Pal finally expires.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
WAK! I stand corrected. The DVR+ behavior seems consistent with Pachinko's description and the full text here. On power up without internet connected the EPG gets populated, and it must be from PSIP as that is the only possibility I know of in this case. But at some point after bringing up internet the guide is clearly extended. So while I stand on the comment that it's not an "option" in the sense of not a user "option" but rather the designed in behavior I agree with Pachinko's assessment and I wish Tivo did the same.
You are absolutely correct that there is no user option, or setting, that controls if PSIP data is used to populate the guide, other than depriving the DVR+ an Internet connection, in which case PSIP is all you'll get. It is a very good feature of the DVR+. :)

I would expect the guide to be populated with PSIP data upon powering up the DVR+ only if the DVR+ has not been able to connect to the Internet for 14 days (possibly 13 days). That will happen if the DVR+ is disconnected from electrical power, or if it’s not connected to the Internet due to some other cause (modem turned off, WiFi down or poor signal, Ethernet disconnected). Otherwise, even while the DVR+ is in Standby (dim blue or dim red light), the Rovi data should appear immediately upon powering up, and will offer as much as 14 days, depending upon the last time it was able to connect to the Internet.

On the other hand, if the DVR+ had not connected to the Internet for 14 days, then there would be no Rovi data, and the guide would display all PSIP data. The easy way to determine if it’s PSIP data is by the network icons. Those that appear as a generic image looking like a TV (see attached image), then it’s PSIP data. Another indication is that the data will only extend out a couple of days.

When the Internet connection is restored, the DVR+ will eventually contact Rovi for an update, or you can force it to perform the update in a couple of ways, depending upon the version of the DVR+ software. Once started, the Rovi update will take approximately 15 minutes to complete, updating the guide in slices of a few hours at a time.

Channel Master has never revealed the contract that they hold with Rovi:(, but a couple of months ago I seem to recall a reply that they made on their facebook page that they have a good contract (or something like that), whatever that means!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
IMO it's not good for either box. TiVo will probably start using Rovi for its guide instead of Gracenote (Zap2It); having gone through this change with WMC, I can tell you it's not an improvement. And Rovi will have a huge incentive to get out of offering guides to competitors like the DVR+, at least for free. (They're probably locked in contractually for a while, though.)

Of course, if the DVR+'s extended guide is going to cost us, maybe CM will switch it to Gracenote - assuming the latter can stay in business after losing their biggest customer. For me, that's the biggest concern: if Gracenote goes down, it will leave Rovi/TiVo with a near-monopoly in guide data, and a big incentive to gouge anyone wanting to buy it.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
You are absolutely correct that there is no user option, or setting, that controls if PSIP data is used to populate the guide, other than depriving the DVR+ an Internet connection, in which case PSIP is all you'll get.

I would expect the guide to be populated with PSIP data upon powering up the DVR+ only if the DVR+ has not been able to connect to the Internet for 14 days (possibly 13 days).
There's one other case: if you have OTA channels that Rovi doesn't know about, you'll get PSIP data for them. The DVR+ seems to load PSIP data first, but overlay it with Rovi data when possible. This is the same way the DTVPal worked when TVGoS existed.

Presumably, you could also force PSIP even with an Internet connection by using a bogus, nonexistent Zip code, such as all zeros. I haven't tested that though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you could even count Sling TV as an advantage.
Absolutely! And that is what compelled me to pop for the DVR+ initially! CNN, ESPN, ESPN2... nice package for $20. But as I mentioned in my full review the startup and channel switch times for the version of the SlingTV app integrated into the DVR+ is pretty slow compared to both the desktop and Roku 2 (free for 3 month commitment) SlingTV apps. True: the downside of the Roku is having to switch to a different video source. Sigh. So CM has an opportunity to have a leg up on this aspect in my opinion.

11861 - 11880 of 18282 Posts