AVS Forum banner

11881 - 11900 of 18282 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Channel Won't Record

I've run into a strange problem in the last couple of weeks. I noticed that programs set to record on channel 33.1 (The CW) didn't end up recording. After a bit investigation I found this wasn't a problem with the scheduler, it was with the channel.

I can watch the channel live just fine. But I can't manually record, schedule a recording or even use the pause/time delay feature. I found this also relates to the sister channel 33.2. But I don't have this problem with any other channels.

When a recording on this channel starts, it seems to start recording - the light turn red and the guide shows the channel recording. But after a few second it stops. The light changes to blue again and the guide shows the program with no recording showing. And there is no recording (even the few seconds it showed it was recording) in the list of recorded shows.

I've checked the signal strength/quality in the DVR+ settings and although not the 100%/100% I get for the major network channels, it is 75%/100% which is better than some channels that record just fine.

To check the HDD, I disconnected it and tried the internal 16gb internal drive. It does the exact same things of starting to record then aborting it. I've also forced a manual restart of the DVR+ and still have the same issue.

Running 132R

Anyone seen this or have an ideas?

Mark

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
...Channel Master has never revealed the contract that they hold with Rovi:(, but a couple of months ago I seem to recall a reply that they made on their facebook page that they have a good contract (or something like that), whatever that means!
Building upon this, CM replied to the following query on their facebook page yesterday:

Joseph DiVall: I heard from Tivo that they are now connected with Rovi. Will this affect our channel guide in any way?

Channel Master: Great question! Our guides will not be affected but we'll certainly update our customers should that change.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I've run into a strange problem in the last couple of weeks. I noticed that programs set to record on channel 33.1 (The CW) didn't end up recording. After a bit investigation I found this wasn't a problem with the scheduler, it was with the channel.

I can watch the channel live just fine. But I can't manually record, schedule a recording or even use the pause/time delay feature. I found this also relates to the sister channel 33.2. But I don't have this problem with any other channels.

When a recording on this channel starts, it seems to start recording - the light turn red and the guide shows the channel recording. But after a few second it stops. The light changes to blue again and the guide shows the program with no recording showing. And there is no recording (even the few seconds it showed it was recording) in the list of recorded shows.

I've checked the signal strength/quality in the DVR+ settings and although not the 100%/100% I get for the major network channels, it is 75%/100% which is better than some channels that record just fine.

To check the HDD, I disconnected it and tried the internal 16gb internal drive. It does the exact same things of starting to record then aborting it. I've also forced a manual restart of the DVR+ and still have the same issue.

Running 132R

Mark
Hmm... I assume you do not have another DVR that you can try recording that channel. How about a friend in your area with a DVR+, or any brand of DVR?

The next thing I would do is perform a Cold Boot (put the DVR+ into Standby mode, with dim blue light), and disconnect the power supply for 15 seconds or longer.

I have had recordings fail due to poor reception on stormy days, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Perhaps that broadcast station is wrongly flagging their content so that it cannot be legally copied, and the DVR+ is honoring that flag (although I don't know why the DVR+ would even consider such flags since it's OTA only).

If Cold Booting doesn't resolve the issue, I would toss the ball to CM to see what they say.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I've been having guide/recording issues for about a month now. None of my scheduled recordings are recording. My guide doesn't have the rovi logo at all. I've refreshed the guide numerous times but nothing.

I'm only showing today's data in the guide. If I skip to next day all channels show something like "unknown event".

When I schedule a program series it says "no show found with that title". I can however schedule a single one off program but that's it.

I'm certain is has to do with the rovi guide not present despite it being updated. I show connected to network. I've done numerous reset without luck. I'm on the latest firmware.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
410 Posts

Running 132R

Mark

Check and see if there is a HDCP switch on your DVR+. I am not knowledgeable in this area, but remember seeing something a while back about it.
I am sure that someone on the forum would know if so please jump in.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've been having guide/recording issues for about a month now. None of my scheduled recordings are recording. My guide doesn't have the rovi logo at all. I've refreshed the guide numerous times but nothing.

I'm only showing today's data in the guide. If I skip to next day all channels show something like "unknown event".

When I schedule a program series it says "no show found with that title". I can however schedule a single one off program but that's it.

I'm certain is has to do with the rovi guide not present despite it being updated. I show connected to network. I've done numerous reset without luck. I'm on the latest firmware.
Did you try manually refreshing the Rovi data in Menu > Settings > Channel Setup > Antenna Channels > Refresh Rovi Guide Data?

Try that and then wait a few minutes and check to see the date of last Rovi update in Menu > Settings > Technical Info > STB Health.

If it shows it has updated and nothing has changed I would call CM support.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had that happen before for a specific channel. I could watch but not record. I did a full channel rescan and that fixed it for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Channel Master has never revealed the contract that they hold with Rovi:(, but a couple of months ago I seem to recall a reply that they made on their facebook page that they have a good contract (or something like that), whatever that means!
Remember, in Dec 2014 CM said on FB that their contract with Rovi, while not disclosable, was longer than 5 years.

If we conservatively pretend the contract is 6 years starting in late 2013, then we have at least 3 more years of 14-day guide data.

Of course, if Rovi/TiVo intentionally lets this service decline to the point of near-unusability, then CM will need to do something about it or risk permanently losing a lot of us as continued customers for their products!

·
Registered
18 Posts
...I assume you do not have another DVR that you can try recording that channel. How about a friend in your area with a DVR+, or any brand of DVR?
I have an old Pioneer DVD/DVR that I hooked up to an old DTV digital converter box (to convert digital to analog TV) and it records the station. But it's such an apples to oranges thing, I don't think it tells me much.

Don't know anyone in the area who records OTA to a DVR.

The next thing I would do is perform a Cold Boot (put the DVR+ into Standby mode, with dim blue light), and disconnect the power supply for 15 seconds or longer.
I tried the cold reboot as directed and still the same issue.

One thing I noticed with the Pioneer recorded show, is that the video/audio sync is way out of whack. Is it possible that there's some sort of disparity between the audio and video signal that the channel is broadcasting and that DVR+ can't record because of it?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had that happen before for a specific channel. I could watch but not record. I did a full channel rescan and that fixed it for me.
That was going to be my next step to try and fix. Do you know if a full rescan eliminates all your scheduled programs (so you have to reschedule everything again)?

That's what was holding me back on that possible solution.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That was going to be my next step to try and fix. Do you know if a full rescan eliminates all your scheduled programs (so you have to reschedule everything again)?

That's what was holding me back on that possible solution.
A full rescan will not eliminate your schedules. A message informs you about this before you confirm or cancel the rescan.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Any other suggestions?
The "Powered by Rovi" logo no longer appears in the Guide, nor in the description window if the INFO button is pressed while in the Guide. However, it does appear when the INFO button is used for the show that is currently playing (Live or Recorded). What do the channel logos look like? Are they like the image in This Post? That's the generic logo indicating PSIP data for the channel.

What does it say for Menu, Settings, Technical Info, STB Health, Last Rovi Update?

Is that "connected" for "Internet Status", or just for "Wired" or "Wireless" Connection Status?

Have you tried changing the Zip Code to another in your area to see what happens (or even to one not in your area)? Not very long ago there was a serious Rovi blackout issue that affected some but not all areas. That issue was resolved, but perhaps not for your area. After changing the Zip Code, it takes a couple of minutes before the channel logos appear correctly, and about 15 minutes before the guide fills completely. STB Health will not completely update until the update process completes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
PSIP Time Span

Just did some quick reads of PSIP specs regarding its "Event Information Table" here and at bottom of page 2 here. From these and old meeting discussions among members of the local SBE chapter my (foggy) recollections are that it is up to each broadcaster to decide how much info they want to put into the PSIP stream beyond the minimum 12 hour requirement, and up to the defined limit of 16 days.

That being the case, I initially wondered why Rovi and other 3rd party EPG suppliers were even relevant. But harvesting all that event info surely has a cost, and most broadcaster budgets are pretty tightly managed, so maybe that's the answer.

But in the face of a disconnect between Rovi and Channel Master, I wonder whether other providers such as Tribune Media or Time-Warner might become options, and I've read about Google mucking about with an EPG service somewhere. If not, the question might come down to how to motive each and every broadcaster to put forth the effort? E.g., public pressure?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'd probably go ahead and get the DVR+ (or TiVo) and not wait for the Pal to die first. They each have a few annoying quirks, so having both DVRs running at once will give you time to get used to your new DVR's way of doing things before the Pal finally expires.
Depending on how bad off the Pal is, there is also a third option if he thinks there is time to wait: The Magnavox, 4 tuner mystery box. The cost may be prohibitive, but I'm very curious as to how it is going to compare with the DVR+, and someone may as well be the guinea pig for the rest of us...;)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Remember, in Dec 2014 CM said on FB that their contract with Rovi, while not disclosable, was longer than 5 years.

If we conservatively pretend the contract is 6 years starting in late 2013, then we have at least 3 more years of 14-day guide data.

Of course, if Rovi/TiVo intentionally lets this service decline to the point of near-unusability, then CM will need to do something about it or risk permanently losing a lot of us as continued customers for their products!
On the TiVo forums, they think Rovi is spencing $1B to pull the plug on their DVR. Over here, you think they are buying TiVo to pull the plug on your EPG. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rovi/TiVo will continue to sell DVRs and EPGs to anyone who will pay.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Seriously, whole-home is the one feature CM & E* could add to the DVR+ purely through firmware that would significantly increase its value. And it was promised over 2 years ago, so CM knows the demand is there.
My friends at CM say they are working on an 'enabling technology' which will allow Whole House and ATSC 3.0. Given the fact that ATSC 3.0 will be streamed within the home, I assume that there will be a router/server which will stream saved content and ATSC 3.0 to a DVR+ app. The future is NOW!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Did you try manually refreshing the Rovi data in Menu > Settings > Channel Setup > Antenna Channels > Refresh Rovi Guide Data?

Try that and then wait a few minutes and check to see the date of last Rovi update in Menu > Settings > Technical Info > STB Health.

If it shows it has updated and nothing has changed I would call CM support.
Yup done the manual refresh and it always show the date of the manual refresh.

I'll need to check the STB Health when I get home.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
On the TiVo forums, they think Rovi is spencing $1B to pull the plug on their DVR. Over here, you think they are buying TiVo to pull the plug on your EPG. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rovi/TiVo will continue to sell DVRs and EPGs to anyone who will pay.
Personally, I'm not that paranoid. If Rovi really wanted to stop selling EPG data that badly, they would just get out of the EPG business!

But we should recognize that this merger creates incentives that won't be helpful to either the TiVo or the DVR+ community. Clearly Rovi can make more money by powering TiVos from their own guide data than by buying it from competing Gracenote.

Owners of DVR+s and Magnavox DVRs probably have a grace period of unknown length, thanks to contracts Rovi has already signed. (Let's hope the estimated 3 more years is accurate.) I doubt that Rovi would intentionally degrade the DVR+ or Magnavox EPGs, but we've recently had a Rovi guide outage on our DVR+s, and Rovi now has a bit less incentive to put much effort into preventing more such outages.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
The "Powered by Rovi" logo no longer appears in the Guide, nor in the description window if the INFO button is pressed while in the Guide. However, it does appear when the INFO button is used for the show that is currently playing (Live or Recorded). What do the channel logos look like? Are they like the image in This Post? That's the generic logo indicating PSIP data for the channel.

What does it say for Menu, Settings, Technical Info, STB Health, Last Rovi Update?

Is that "connected" for "Internet Status", or just for "Wired" or "Wireless" Connection Status?

Have you tried changing the Zip Code to another in your area to see what happens (or even to one not in your area)? Not very long ago there was a serious Rovi blackout issue that affected some but not all areas. That issue was resolved, but perhaps not for your area. After changing the Zip Code, it takes a couple of minutes before the channel logos appear correctly, and about 15 minutes before the guide fills completely. STB Health will not completely update until the update process completes.
Channel logos in the guide are the actual channel logos.

Last rovi update: April 30, 8:27pm 2016 [403]

Internet status - connected
Wired connection status - connected

Update
I decided to change my zip code to one where my channels come from. After another refresh I can now go out to wed on the guide and can schedule my recordings again. I guess my zip code is one that's not updated.

Thx for the suggestion.

11881 - 11900 of 18282 Posts