AVS Forum banner

16381 - 16400 of 17989 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It's the very definition of "penny wise; pound foolish" though. The stations have 19.39 Mb/s of data to play with and the first place they cut is the .01 Mb/s needed by a longer program guide? Yeah, people are really gonna notice that
It's common misconception what stations shamelessly employ now - PSIP data taking less then 100 Kbps and spooling periodically, not all the time.
It may come down to who and how the station's engineering is managed. Think back to late October when @tonymich provided some good information about how PSIP was programmed. One of those posts can be read here, with the entire thread topic on either side of the referenced post. Based on what he posted, the success in getting a station to expand its PSIP data may come down to whether that station's program manager and engineer handle it themselves or farm it out to a station that acts as a hub for many stations. If PSIP is handled internally, communicating with the PM or engineer via e-mail, phone or letter may get results. But if PSIP is farmed out to a hub your communication may be ignored because the PM or engineer doesn't want to mess with it. They pay someone else to handle their engineering tasks so actually contacting the person who accesses the GUI and clicks on the menu item is just extra work for them. In those cases the best results might be obtained by contacting the station manager, and letting him/her deal with the PM or engineer. @tonymich was pretty straightforward about saying that they valued their OTA viewers, but apparently that isn't the case for all stations.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Is anyone else having the issue that I am? My guide has no programming past Superbowl Sunday which is about 7 days. It seems to me that I used to have 2 weeks of look ahead, but now, everything in the guide stops after next Sunday.

Is there a manual process for making the guide update?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Is there a manual process for making the guide update?
Menu / Settings / Channel Setup / Antenna Channels / Refresh Internet Guide Data

But now that you mention it, my guide goes up only to 6 AM Monday, so this may be a widespread problem. WeatherNation on CMTV is working, so I know my Internet connection is good.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Menu / Settings / Channel Setup / Antenna Channels / Refresh Internet Guide Data

But now that you mention it, my guide goes up only to 6 AM Monday, so this may be a widespread problem. WeatherNation on CMTV is working, so I know my Internet connection is good.
Yes. I did a reboot and then performed the Guide refresh and it still has nothing past next Sunday. My wifi is working fine and when I did the refresh, it did grab a lot of the guide, but only up thru Sunday.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Should we expect a press release from CM about end of free guide ? And soon to be mandatory a subscription for it ?

I would prefer that to just losing the guide altogether. PSIP isn't enough for me in the LA area, as the stations don't populate it well enough to go out several days. The best would be able to choose any guide we wanted but that's not going to happen unless someone is able to hack the DVR+. CM doesn't own the code so it would have to be from Echo*/Dish and I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes it look like the guide is over. Mine goes out till Feb.4. It is just like last time when they stopped ROVI. Why did they even bother with the 135r if it was only for six additional months?

Also mine updated yesterday so not an update issue.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
But now that you mention it, my guide goes up only to 6 AM Monday, so this may be a widespread problem.
The Seattle area is the same. Only guide to Monday Feb. 4th at 4 AM. :confused:
The same time as mine ends. (4 AM PST = 6 AM CST). I suspect it's the end of the 1-year warranty for the last DVR+ they sold.

Why would CM end the free guide but keep CMTV working? Maybe CMTV will also end Monday morning. (No big loss.)

I doubt there will be a subscription option. The CM-7400 had a paid guide; CM ended that anyway, even before the DVR+ hit the market. (Folks who had paid got to keep their guides until their subscriptions ran out, but couldn't renew.)

At least the DVR+ will still work with PSIP, and makes a better DVR than, say, the CM-7000Pal in a few ways:

• Supports larger HDDs (Pal limited to 1TB) and more recordings (999 vs. 600)
  • DVR+ Lister (thanks again @pachinko)
  • I think the Internet apps (except Sling) still work too, but I haven't tried them lately.
Edit: Vudu still works. So does Pandora. Haven't checked YouTube yet.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If this is the end of the guide, don't forget... we'll need to set up short manual recordings of selected stations to keep the PSIP guide updated.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If this is the end of the guide, don't forget... we'll need to set up short manual recordings of selected stations to keep the PSIP guide updated.
Or you can try reverting to version 108R, or use a digital programmable timer to schedule reboots, or heist the software from E* and release it so it is open source. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. Reverting to version 108R is the most hands off fix. But you lose the features that were added in later releases, and I haven't gotten around to testing it to see how well it works. Using a digital timer to schedule reboots works well, but depending on what brand of TV you have it could cause your TV to turn on every time you reboot the DVR+. And while rebooting does trigger a full PSIP scan, the absolute minimum number of reboots should be two per day (every 12 hours), with three (8 hours) or four (6 hours) being preferable. You would also have to schedule them in such a way as to avoid interfering with any scheduled recordings. If your TV doesn't turn on when you reboot the DVR+ this is the second most hands off alternative, but it would also be very important to use a universal power supply to keep the timer accurate in the event of a power outage. The third option, heisting the software from E* and releasing it to the world as open source is probably the best option...other than that whole prison thing.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Reverting to version 108R is the most hands off fix. But you lose the features that were added in later releases, and I haven't gotten around to testing it to see how well it works.
Good point. Here's a brief summary of the major features added after 108R:

• 111R added Pandora
  • 114R added YouTube
  • 124R added CMTV (but CMTV no longer works with it), support to format >2TB HDDs (with 4K sectors) and the new "enhanced" remote
  • 134R was a bug-fix release for 132R, which removed the support to format large HDDs but improved guide navigation, and CMTV works
  • 135R switched guide servers.
Support for 4K TVs was added in either 124R or 132R. I didn't mention Sling since it no longer works anyway.

There's no real reason to consider 132R since 134R has exactly the same features with fewer bugs, and if the Internet guide is truly kaput, there's no reason to consider 135R either. (I also ignored 115R since it's not available as a file for upgrades/downgrades.) And the only reason to use 124R is to format a large HDD; for day-to-day use you should either upgrade to 134R, or if CMTV goes away (or you don't use it) and you don't have an "enhanced" remote or a 4K TV, you can downgrade to one of the earlier versions.

If the Internet guide is completely gone by Monday, I may revert to 134R to see if the Rovi guide is still broken too. (Probably is, but no harm in trying.)

Edit: BTW, if you happen to own an Xbox One there may be another option. You can feed the DVR+ through the Xbox One to take advantage of its OneGuide. It'll never be as well-integrated as the DVR+'s own guide, but AIUI, you can tell the Xbox to "Record The Simpsons" and it will search the OneGuide, find The Simpsons, and blast the remote-control commands out to the DVR+ to set a manual recording.

I'm probably grossly over-simplifying. I don't own an Xbox One. Hopefully someone who does can set the record straight.

Unfortunately that's a pretty expensive option just to keep a two-week guide, unless you already happen to own an Xbox One, or are looking for a game console anyway. But if you happen to be in the market for a game console, that might be a reason to choose the Xbox One over its competitors.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Been looking for this all day and finally found it. Five years ago, just as the DVR+ hit the market, the same thing happened to the CM-7400:
It does not sound like a good situation to me and I am doubtful that I will be able to live with it. I am equally doubtful that I would buy ChannelMaster's new DVR+ since they abandoned the CM-7400 after such a short time. Two years is too short of a time to recover my investment in this kind of equipment when the whole point of buying it in the first place is to cut the cord and save money.
I must admit it's a valid concern. If CM cut off the CM-7400's guide service so soon, what's to say they won't cut off the DVR+'s guide when they come out with... what - the DVR# (DVR-sharp :rolleyes:) in 2016?
As it happens, we got a couple years more than I feared (and the name of the "DVR#" turned out to be the Stream+), so it wasn't as bad for us as it was for pcnetwrx, but it looks like the same scenario is playing out again now.

Having had a DVR+ since (IIRC) October 2014, I feel I got a free guide for a reasonable amount of time - but if I'd bought one just before they were discontinued (a little over a year ago), I'd be pretty :mad: at CM right about now.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good point. Here's a brief summary of the major features added after 108R:

• 111R added Pandora
  • 114R added YouTube
  • 124R added CMTV (but CMTV no longer works with it), support to format >2TB HDDs (with 4K sectors) and the new "enhanced" remote
  • 134R was a bug-fix release for 132R, which removed the support to format large HDDs but improved guide navigation, and CMTV works
  • 135R switched guide servers.
There are also two changes that may be of importance to some people if they revert to version 108R, one positive and one negative. The positive change would be that the throttled volume issue that some have complained about will be gone. I don't like it, but I can live with it even though my Samsung TV is almost twice as loud as the DVR+ is with the same volume setting. The negative change is that the red light bug may be back in play with a FW reversion. I don't know when it appeared, but it was present when I bought my DVR+ in the summer of 2015. I forget what FW version was on it when it came out of the box. Also keep in mind that there were several navigation changes to buttons on the remotes over various FW upgrades, some good and some bad.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This may be premature. I just checked and my guide data goes out to Feb. 12th, a full two weeks.

Can you guys double check yours?
Same here. Mine now goes out to Feb 12, 6:00AM CST. Looks like somebody at CM plugged in the power cord for the server that hosts the program guide data. :rolleyes: Thanks for the head's up @fshagan.

Just curious. Did anybody contact CM support about this??

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Will check tonight. Maybe it was just a glitch and not EOL for the guide. I may have panicked just a bit too soon....

I never got an email from CM; I would think that if/when EOL arrives they would at least email their known customers.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
There are also two changes that may be of importance to some people if they revert to version 108R, one positive and one negative.... The negative change is that the red light bug may be back in play with a FW reversion. I don't know when it appeared, but it was present when I bought my DVR+ in the summer of 2015.
IIRC the LED worked differently in 108R. The bug appeared when CM tried to make the LED's operation more logical, I think in 114R. (They didn't get it fixed for good until 134R.)

111R shouldn't have the red light bug (although the LED probably works differently in that version too), adds Pandora (still working), and it might even scan for PSIP guide data in the background like 108R does (I haven't tested it). But it has one annoyance: it periodically accesses the HDD, keeping it spinning. You may not care (my PC's HDDs spin constantly, seemingly without any problems) but if you do, you'll want to avoid that version.

Unfortunately there's no perfect version of DVR+ firmware. You just have to pick the version that best suits your needs and whose bugs you can live with.

16381 - 16400 of 17989 Posts