AVS Forum banner

17081 - 17100 of 17988 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
look at the snapshot
Yikes, I don't have that link (see attached image). I've tried clearing cache, restarting browser, using different browsers, using iPad, switching my VPN to European countries, turning off VPN, logging out and back in, etc. That link just doesn't come up. Could you please right click on that link, copy it, and post the URL? (N.B.: no longer necessary P Smith... see below)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
@P Smith & @frank70, I don't see that link either (Chrome Browser).

However I open into a "forum Jump" (like into "LCD TV's" or "Blueray Players", etc.) and then watch for "Thread Subscriptions" (top right) to turn red which is a link into a variety of boards on a single page that will have links that open first unread. Or you could just open into Thread Subscriptions to start with.

You can control or edit this page to contain just boards that have interest. :cool:
Art

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yikes, I don't have that link (see attached image). I've tried clearing cache, restarting browser, using different browsers, using iPad, switching my VPN to European countries, turning off VPN, logging out and back in, etc. That link just doesn't come up. Could you please right click on that link, copy it, and post the URL?
Ok, I was able to find that link on other threads I don't normally read, just not this one. From that I was able to figure out the Secret Decoder Ring :)

You take the URL for any page in the thread, remove the page number at the end, and add "new-post" in its place. For example, the URL for the last page in this thread is:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-570.html
To change this to go to the first unread, change URL to:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-new-post.html

This is clearly something changed recently, because the URL used to be:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1481183&goto=newpost
which is quite a different format.

OK, now we can get back to the DVR+ topic at hand. Sorry about taking us off-topic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Program guide not updating. Again.

My program guide has been populated out to Jan. 24, 7:00AM for a number of days. I contacted CM tech support. Their reply was:

The guide company just let us know that the issues with the guide will be resolved in the next 24 hours. They are working to get the guide information pushed out to all customers. Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues after the guide info starts to fill back in after the 24-48 hour mark. Thanks!

Translation, IMHO: The guide company finally pulled the lowest level employee off of whatever he was doing and had him do the manual process required to push a week's worth of guide data out. Contact customer support again, in a week, when the manual process has to done yet again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OK, now we can get back to the DVR+ topic at hand. Sorry about taking us off-topic.
Actually, I thank you VERY much for taking us off-topic. For years, I've wondered how to get to the first unread post. Or at least the last page of the thread. After a while, I gave up and bookmarked the last page at that time. So I go to my bookmark, then click on the "Last" button, in the row of page number.

·
Registered
838 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Next to the thread title is a little down arrow ... click on it to go to the first unread post.
Yeah, but for me on threads where the "View first unread" link is missing, the little down arrow is missing also. All very strange, but no longer a problem now that I've figured out the formula (see 4 posts above).

·
Registered
507 Posts
My program guide has been populated out to Jan. 24, 7:00AM for a number of days. I contacted CM tech support. Their reply was:

The guide company just let us know that the issues with the guide will be resolved in the next 24 hours. They are working to get the guide information pushed out to all customers. Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues after the guide info starts to fill back in after the 24-48 hour mark. Thanks!

Translation, IMHO: The guide company finally pulled the lowest level employee off of whatever he was doing and had him do the manual process required to push a week's worth of guide data out. Contact customer support again, in a week, when the manual process has to done yet again.
Now down to less than 24 hours of data for many of my local stations. Submitted another support request. I suggest most of you should also do this so they know that more than just a few people are concerned about the recent EPG issues.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Next to the thread title is a little down arrow ... click on it to go to the first unread post.
Thanks for the great tip! As with most other forums I figured there must be an easy link to go directly to the first unread post from my subscribed threads page. I thought I had tried clicking on everything hunting for it, but I must have missed that down arrow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now down to less than 24 hours of data for many of my local stations. Submitted another support request. I suggest most of you should also do this so they know that more than just a few people are concerned about the recent EPG issues.

I just did at

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

and then I Liked your post.

I don't know if you can tell how many "LIKES" you get on a post,
but it would be interesting to see how many users we have following this problem,
if you report back the results.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Up until this morning, this link would take me to the first unread (by me) post in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1481183&goto=newpost
Somehow AVS changed something. That URL doesn't work any more and I can no longer find a URL that takes me to the first unread post. Has anyone figured this out?
Try using the first page: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread.html This will bring up page one and as long as you are signed in there is a link on that page to get any unread posts. It's one more click but it still works. :)
I think the new format of a "new post" link is https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-new-post.html. IOW start with the 1st page link, but add "-new-post" between the thread title and the ".html".

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
My guide is kind of mixed. Some channels end at 5 AM tomorrow; others go out further. Some of the extended data might be PSIP, but I also see data past 5 AM on low-power channels that I know don't broadcast PSIP (20.3, 28.3, 44.4).

·
Registered
30 Posts

I just submitted a support request. Aside from the guide not populating again, even when it does there is a lot of "To be Announced" listings covering 6-8 hour slots. This DVR is bordering on less than useless. In the bad old days of VCR's we all knew you had to set manual timers for everything you want recorded. Now with this hit and miss program guide, setting a manual timer creates conflicts when the guide finally populates (or mis-populates).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I just submitted a support request. Aside from the guide not populating again, even when it does there is a lot of "To be Announced" listings covering 6-8 hour slots.
I've always thought that "To be Announced" is a station generated program description, at least for PSIP. My PSIP guide uses "Unknown Event" for programs beyond what is populated, but "To be Announced for time slots that are populated but have no known program.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've always thought that "To be Announced" is a station generated program description, at least for PSIP. My PSIP guide uses "Unknown Event" for programs beyond what is populated, but "To be Announced for time slots that are populated but have no known program.
Based on my experience, you're correct. I've been using the Internet-based guide since day one and have seen the same. I've seen "To be Announced" most often on PBS during the holidays. They probably haven't figured out which show, which has aired 20 times already, that they'll toss into that time slot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is something new and strange occurring in the DVR+ guide updates. Even though I have my viewing area zip code entered (not the "00000" used to default to OTA guide info), the program guide often does not display any of broadcast station logos. Instead, the generic TV with antenna logo is shown for all. Also, stations I hadn't tuned to recently show "no information" in the guide instead of "unknown event". It seems like the guide is defaulting to OTA data instead of the internet guide.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Guide data gone again

I just submitted a support request. Aside from the guide not populating again, even when it does there is a lot of "To be Announced" listings covering 6-8 hour slots. This DVR is bordering on less than useless. In the bad old days of VCR's we all knew you had to set manual timers for everything you want recorded. Now with this hit and miss program guide, setting a manual timer creates conflicts when the guide finally populates (or mis-populates).

I also submitted my request. It seems they never really recovered from the November outage. I had many TBA's (which had listings on other guides), missing descriptions, etc.

It's getting close to the point where we will have to develop our own guide server...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There is something new and strange occurring in the DVR+ guide updates. Even though I have my viewing area zip code entered (not the "00000" used to default to OTA guide info), the program guide often does not display any of broadcast station logos. Instead, the generic TV with antenna logo is shown for all. Also, stations I hadn't tuned to recently show "no information" in the guide instead of "unknown event". It seems like the guide is defaulting to OTA data instead of the internet guide.
If your guide doesn't show the station/network logos you are receiving PSIP data and not the Internet data. When you look at the grid you should see the words "Unknown Event" in place of the program title. The words "Unknown Event" are displayed in the grid, not the program description for a grid entry. I don't recall seeing "no information" anywhere. That might be a function of being connected to the Internet and the DVR+ returns that text string. Try rebooting your DVR+ and it will force a scan of the guide and in about 15 minutes you will get as much PSIP guide data that the channels in your area are pushing out. It won't stay up to date, but you will have a day or so worth of program data.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your guide doesn't show the station/network logos you are receiving PSIP data and not the Internet data. When you look at the grid you should see the words "Unknown Event" in place of the program title. The words "Unknown Event" are displayed in the grid, not the program description for a grid entry. I don't recall seeing "no information" anywhere. That might be a function of being connected to the Internet and the DVR+ returns that text string. Try rebooting your DVR+ and it will force a scan of the guide and in about 15 minutes you will get as much PSIP guide data that the channels in your area are pushing out. It won't stay up to date, but you will have a day or so worth of program data.
I made a misstatement. The words "Unknown Event" are displayed in the grid as you say. It's when tuning to a channel that I hadn't tuned to recently that the screen says "no information" for about 2 seconds. The grid shows the generic TV logos, so this is all consistent with it being OTA data only. My last internet guide update shows to be about 36 hours ago. I requested a guide update last night and twice today. Also rebooted as suggested, all to no avail.

I've confirmed internet access exists and my zip code is correct. I have to conclude that the guide service is completely down.

17081 - 17100 of 17988 Posts