AVS Forum banner

17101 - 17120 of 17988 Posts

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Aside from the guide not populating again, even when it does there is a lot of "To be Announced" listings covering 6-8 hour slots. This DVR is bordering on less than useless. In the bad old days of VCR's we all knew you had to set manual timers for everything you want recorded. Now with this hit and miss program guide, setting a manual timer creates conflicts when the guide finally populates (or mis-populates).
It may be getting to the point where we're better off setting the zip to 00000 and doing without the Internet guide. The Internet guide data overrides any PSIP guide data, so a "To be Announced" in the Internet guide prevents you from seeing any guide info the station might be broadcasting for those 6-8 hour slots.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It may be getting to the point where we're better off setting the zip to 00000 and doing without the Internet guide. The Internet guide data overrides any PSIP guide data, so a "To be Announced" in the Internet guide prevents you from seeing any guide info the station might be broadcasting for those 6-8 hour slots.
Is there an advantage to setting the Zip Code to 00000 vs. unplugging it altogether? Without FW updates, what else is there that the Internet connection can do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
CM's response to my ticket is below. This is pathetic. The "00000" method requires turning on the DVR+ and manually switching through all the channels every day so the program grid updates.  One of the stations in our area only puts out 18 hours of guide data. It seems in order to use the DVR+ as an OTA recorder, one must look up the listings manually and then set manual recordings just like a 1970’s VCR.  I hardly call this "reliably" recording.

Over the past several months Channel Master has been working with our guide data provider to try and correct issues with an aging data API which the DVR+ get’s its internet guide from. Unfortunately our partner has been unsuccessful with maintaining this API which has caused inconsistent guide data on all DVR+ units over the past few months.

We apologize for the inconvenience but the reliability of the data is outside of our control and unfortunately this is the reality of the current situation. At this point in time we do not see a long term resolution in sight, that being said, for a more consistent experience we highly recommend reverting your DVR+ to receive it’s guide data from the over the air broadcasts. This solution will provide fewer days of guide data and will not be compatible with “New Episodes Only” feature but will still function as a reliable OTA DVR.

Please follow the instructions below to turn off the internet delivered guide and convert your device to receive guide data information from the local broadcaster.
There are a couple of steps that you will need to complete to revert your DVR+ to receive its guide information from the broadcaster. Unfortunately the broadcaster does not offer 14 days of guide information, but it is enough to reschedule your recordings and for them to reliably record. To revert your DVR+ to the broadcaster provided guide information, we highly recommend a default factory reset first. This will flush out any scheduled recordings that had been set up to be recorded using the internet delivered guide information. Once the factory reset is complete, you will want to set your Zip code to 00000, this will force the DVR+ to getting its data from the broadcaster instead of the internet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the only answer here to purchase the Stream+? I'm not up to speed on the API issue and how the grid is populate from the internet, but will the Stream+ have the same fate in a few years?

If I get a Stream+, will it be able to directly play the existing recordings on the external drive I currently use on the DVR+?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is the only answer here to purchase the Stream+? I'm not up to speed on the API issue and how the grid is populate from the internet, but will the Stream+ have the same fate in a few years?

If I get a Stream+, will it be able to directly play the existing recordings on the external drive I currently use on the DVR+?

No, the Stream+ will not play the DVR+ recordings. It will reformat the drive when you attach it for DVR recording, and erase everything on it. There is the DVR Lister program to extract the programs and make them playable as regular video files.

The Stream+ relies on the Android TV / Google Live Channels ecosystem, but it is NOT an authorized Android TV device. Hulu pulled it's service from the device for that reason. While it seems to work OK with the Google Live Channels guide, I wouldn't trust that it will continue to be developed, as it doesn't appear Live Channels has more than a single developer working on it.

The only other free guide device I know of is the Amazon Recast. It's a network device that you stream from using your wifi network, and each TV must have a Fire TV stick or other FireTV device. It's a good alternative if you want an all-in-one, no-changing-inputs streamer & OTA DVR in one box.

Others, like HD Homerun and Tablo (I believe) charge for their guides, although I think it's something like $30 a year for the HD Homerun devices.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
CM's response to my ticket is below. This is pathetic. The "00000" method requires turning on the DVR+ and manually switching through all the channels every day so the program grid updates.
CM is full of hooey on this point. Even if you did what they say you would have to click through the channels more than once a day for some of them. Connect your DVR+ to a programmable timer and let it reboot twice a day. Then it doesn't matter what the Zip Code is set to, and the PSIP guide will stay up to date to the maximum extent without having to click through the channels. Every time the DVR+ reboots it runs a scan of the existing channels to update the PSIP guide. You can also do manual reboots by unplugging the DVR+ when it is convenient for you. If you use a timer just make sure it is scheduled to reboot the DVR+ when you are least likely to have recordings scheduled or want to watch something for a few minutes.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Is there an advantage to setting the Zip Code to 00000 vs. unplugging it altogether? Without FW updates, what else is there that the Internet connection can do?
Keep accurate time. Without an Internet connection, the time on my DVR+ drifts a disconcerting amount.
The periodic reboots needed to keep the PSIP guide up-to-date should also keep the time from drifting.

That said, I do occasionally enjoy listening to Pandora....
I don't think the Stream+ is an adequate replacement for the DVR+. Its DVR app (Google Live Channels) currently lacks crucial features, and further app development has been painfully slow.

My personal fallback option is good ol' Windows Media Center, but M$ has pulled the free guide for it too. (They relented at the end of the year and gave us one last month, but after 1/30 that's it.) Luckily the free program EPG123 and a very cheap ($25/year; about $2/month) Schedules Direct guide subscription keeps WMC alive for me, for a lot less than TiVo (although you do need a PC).

If you want a completely free guide other than PSIP, an AirTV or Amazon Recast will do, and even integrate an OTT package (Sling TV for the AirTV, PS Vue for the Recast) into the guide if you want to subscribe to one, but you need streamers (Fire TV streamers for the Recast) at each TV.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
CM is full of hooey on this point. Even if you did what they say you would have to click through the channels more than once a day for some of them. Connect your DVR+ to a programmable timer and let it reboot twice a day. Then it doesn't matter what the Zip Code is set to, and the PSIP guide will stay up to date to the maximum extent without having to click through the channels. Every time the DVR+ reboots it runs a scan of the existing channels to update the PSIP guide. You can also do manual reboots by unplugging the DVR+ when it is convenient for you. If you use a timer just make sure it is scheduled to reboot the DVR+ when you are least likely to have recordings scheduled or want to watch something for a few minutes.
Couldn't we at least request CM provide a firmware update to fix the bug that prevents the DVR+ from scanning for PSIP guide data on all channels whenever both tuners are not in use. Apparently this bug was introduced many firmware updates ago, and was never fixed. Given their response, they may not even realize the bug exists. And clearly it's possible since it does this (just) one time after each re-boot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I responded to CM that the 00000 approach is not practical since it requires manually flipping through all the channels. Given that they offer this ludicrous 00000 "solution", they may not know the unit doesn't scan PSIP guide data automatically. But I'm more of the opinion that they just don't care.

Couldn't we at least request CM provide a firmware update to fix the bug that prevents the DVR+ from scanning for PSIP guide data on all channels whenever both tuners are not in use. Apparently this bug was introduced many firmware updates ago, and was never fixed. Given their response, they may not even realize the bug exists. And clearly it's possible since it does this (just) one time after each re-boot.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I responded to CM that the 00000 approach is not practical since it requires manually flipping through all the channels. Given that they offer this ludicrous 00000 "solution", they may not know the unit doesn't scan PSIP guide data automatically. But I'm more of the opinion that they just don't care.
CM is fully aware of this problem, but unfortunately there will be no fix since A) the DVR+ is no longer supported at all (except for supposedly keeping the Internet guide going) and B) all the FW updates were done by E*, and they no longer have anything to do with the DVR+.

Based on the experiments I did a few months ago, earlier versions with v108R didn't really do any better. It's possible that FW versions earlier than that did a better job, but they also had other bugs and lacked the features that most people would want. The PSIP guide does scan more than once after a reboot, but seems to peter out for many channels while continuing to work for others. However, that conclusion is not proven, as the only way to find out would be to turn on the DVR+ occasionally but never change the channels, as switching to a channel would cause that channel and its subchannels to scan.

There are only three ways I know of to keep PSIP data up to date, and none of them are perfect. One method would be to click through the channels at least once a day (though in practice it would need to happen at least twice a day), The second method is to set up manual dummy recordings (the shortest allowable time is 5 minutes) for the channels you want. The problem with this method is that there is a limit of 54 recordings, and every manual dummy recording counts against that total. So if you have 24 dummy recordings you would be limited to 30 recordings of other types, i.e. manual recordings and Guide scheduled recordings, including one time recordings and series recordings. This method really crimped my recording style. You also have to set up recordings for all the channels you want kept up to date. If you don't care if the shopping channels, foreign language channels, religious channels, etc are up to date you can skip them and only use dummy recording for the channels you watch. The third method is is to reboot the DVR+, either manually by cutting the power at a time of your choosing or plugging the DVR+ into a programmable timer and setting the time for when you want it to reboot. This last method is what I've found to be the best. Mine is scheduled to reboot twice a day, 12 hours apart with one minute between turned off and powering back up. The reboot take about a minute, give or take a few seconds. The downside of doing this is that you can't be recording or watching anything for the two minutes or so when the DVR+ is down and rebooting. Then there is approximately 5 minutes of lag while the DVR+ gets its bearings and even scheduled programs won't record during this time. You can't even manually force it to begin recording during this lag period. The times I schedule the reboot are 06:00AM and 06:00PM, which are the times I am least likely to be recording, though there are occasionally times I would like to be recording or watching. I just live with it and work around it by using my TV tuners or another DVR device. This method keeps all the channels up to date, but if you have channels that only provide 9 hours or less of PSIP data you will have some blank spots. The workaround for this would be to schedule three reboots, 8 hours apart. But then you have three times a day that you can't be recording or watching. But using scheduled reboots is the method I recommend. A programmable timer can be bought for about $10. It's as fire and forget as possible with the DVR+.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
we need FW source code !

We should put our effort to the companies for public release source code of TR-50 and K77 models !
Then the two HW platforms [DVRs] will works as we need.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Still my favorite DVR :)

My original DVR+ may be on its last legs (after five years continuous usage). It now seems to freeze when watching live broadcast (rare for me) and you try to pause it. Happened last night while News was recording on another channel, screen froze and no button had response but red "record" LED remained on, so I waited long enough for news recording to finish and did a warm reboot. Looking to play the news and saw 0:16:17 listed recording length, but it had the full program recorded along with some of the next program on that channel (to the point when I'd re-booted), like the 'timer' was froze. It's otherwise working fine, with the same internet guide issues others are experiencing. Acts like its internal 16 GB memory chip has an issue.

My second DVR+ (one of two '4th of July' specials, still on 115R) is seldom on at all (much less than once a week) and it's programmed to record the CBS Survivor series and for the past two seasons, it's not missed a single episode. No issue with time or PSIP Schedule. It's never suffered a 'blue LED bug' but original did when it was on 115R.

My third DVR+ (delivered w/132R and flashed to 135R) is back in its original box, I had to steal its remote as the upgrade I was using had its "enter" button getting balky, I have a 'flat' remote paired with it now anyway. I also have four spare 1 TB Samsung HD's, so I should be good-to-go as long as the current signal version is broadcast. :cool:
Art

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried a 10 minute push for guide data this morning and s 30 minute push and got nothing either time. Still having to use PSIP data... Sigh

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
What do I have to do? I'm getting "Unknown Event" on several channels RIGHT NOW!
I didn't do anything - was getting PSIP guide, then it just happened. But have you tried the obvious: channel setup/antenna/refresh internet guide data and then wait about 10 minutes?

·
Registered
251 Posts
What do I have to do? I'm getting "Unknown Event" on several channels RIGHT NOW!
Are you getting the network logos, for each channel? If so, then you're getting data from the Internet, vs. PSIP. Try changing your ZIP code to another one in your area. We've seen it before where the data for a ZIP code is incomplete, but yet complete for one on the other side of the same city. Also, for what date(s) are you seeing Unknown Event. A full guide does take 10-15 minutes to populate.

I didn't do anything either. I was out most of the day. When I came back, it magically was there.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I may have been too impatient. I did a complete reset. I will check back and see what does ond does not repopulate.

17101 - 17120 of 17988 Posts