AVS Forum banner

17301 - 17320 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only thing left to try is a different Zip code in your area. That actually did work for me, although I still have no idea why the original Zip code stopped working.
Your recommendation worked (Thanks!). In an odd twist, the titantv.com guide typically based it's guide on Ashland (Or.) Fiber Network. With that in mind I used 97520 and the DVR+ guide came up with all correct channel origins but only one week (2/28) on most channels. The bad apple is KTVL (CBS) the old (ROVI) TV Guide source for the DTV Pal DVR (3 in operation with a few new caps) which only had the mandated 12 hour courtesy guide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love reading the comments, allot, and now I don't feel so .. alone :)

This thing is a piece of crap, but it works so I still love it and all the glitches. It's engineered as a stand alone buy it once, I hope it works for you, return it if it doesn't, and it is a consumer product, for what it does, it's amazing. It is literally engineered for social security budget levels. And, the reboots, so classic! I want a 2 TB hard drive for it at least, how about 10 TB.

I found out hooking it up directly to a router really smoothed anything internet from locking it up.

The tuner really could be better, I mean c'mon, this is channelmaster, I have two separate brand TV's, and they both can do better.

This thing seems like it has a mind of it's own, just like the windows 10 box I'm burning in.

I like the microphone thingy on the remote, saying things like "black screen sleeping music" seem to work to find things for sleeping and/or mood music, and for some reason youtube is not killing us with adds, whats up with that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
...the DVR+ guide came up with all correct channel origins but only one week (2/28) on most channels.
That's what we all got. In the good ole days, we'd get a rolling 14 days of data. Now, every 1 1/2 weeks or so, they provide new data that winds up being static. Until the next 1 1/2 weeks pass.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
That's what we all got. In the good ole days, we'd get a rolling 14 days of data. Now, every 1 1/2 weeks or so, they provide new data that winds up being static. Until the next 1 1/2 weeks pass.
Perhaps they are testing a water before shut the pipe. :(
Gathering statistics how many complains they will find in their files after will shut the EPG feature of a product(s) what been selling with it.
May be trying to avoid class action lawsuit ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
GM, yep, what you stated is what I've been doing more or less. As you say, a few channels populate for less than 24 hours, but I can deal with that since they are the ones I don't typically watch.

If you are curious about how much PSIP data you are getting for each channel there is an easy way to check it. Following a reboot, wait 25 minutes. This will allow enough time for the Guide to populate all the channels with the maximum amount of PSIP data the stations provide. If you waited 30 minutes it bumps one time slot past the maximum, which could cause you to see slightly less. Pull up the Guide and press the button for the lowest channel number you receive (in Dallas it will be channel 2) and press OK. This sends the Guide to that channel, placing it at the top of the grid. Once there, press the Jump Forward button, located just above the Audio button on the flat remote. I'm not sure what button it is on the peanut shaped remote. This jumps the Guide forward in 24 hour increments. Keep pressing it until all the channels in the grid are showing Unknown Event. Then press the "

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I love reading the comments, allot, and now I don't feel so .. alone :)

This thing is a piece of crap, but it works so I still love it and all the glitches. It's engineered as a stand alone buy it once, I hope it works for you, return it if it doesn't, and it is a consumer product, for what it does, it's amazing. It is literally engineered for social security budget levels. And, the reboots, so classic! I want a 2 TB hard drive for it at least, how about 10 TB.

I found out hooking it up directly to a router really smoothed anything internet from locking it up.

The tuner really could be better, I mean c'mon, this is channel master, I have two separate brand TV's, and they both can do better.

This thing seems like it has a mind of it's own, just like the windows 10 box I'm burning in.

I like the microphone thingy on the remote, saying things like "black screen sleeping music" seem to work to find things for sleeping and/or mood music, and for some reason YouTube is not killing us with ads, whats up with that.
I was reading this, and everything sort of made sense until that "microphone thingy" bit, and then I realized: He's talking about a Stream+ and posted in the wrong thread!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I was reading this, and everything sort of made sense until that "microphone thingy" bit, and then I realized: He's talking about a Stream+ and posted in the wrong thread!
LOL...I got the same impression, but I keyed in on the "social security budget levels" comment. I knew it couldn't be the DVR+ after that!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Perhaps they are testing a water before shut the pipe. :(
Gathering statistics how many complains they will find in their files after will shut the EPG feature of a product(s) what been selling with it.
May be trying to avoid class action lawsuit ?
Plenty of precedent for pulling the plug on a Lifetime EPG. Lots of devices used/sold Rovi's OTA EPG. When Rovi pulled their equipment from the broadcasters, DTVPal owners switched to PSIP which is what will happen with the DVR+. Much better than when Real Simple Software pulled the plug on their guide service -- their Simple TV DVRs simply stopped working. Probably just some box in a rack in a room no one pays much attention to that hangs up from time to time. When the right guy gets an email, he cycles power and things start working again.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My 2011 Sony TV came with a Rovi TV Guide, it reverted to PSIP w/o internet.

By 2015 Rovi pulled support and according to the Sony Community Support forum, it was Rovi and not Sony responsible. Something to do with (Rovi's) not supporting older TV's. ....

It had contained unobtrusive advertising, but was overall much more capable than DVR+ version including a PIP window for all listings and much better program info. After Rovi died, the PSIP was spotty or non-existent. :rolleyes:
Art

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You know... if I would smoke something prescriptional, I'll definitely find a micro-camera's thingy inside of flat remote of the DVR+ :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a new one for me: last night my DVR+ said it was recording a show (it was an Unknown Event) but it wasn't recording it. I guess I have had once or twice in the past where it said it recorded a show but the show was nowhere to be found, I've just never caught it in the act.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yesterday evening I encountered the limits of PSIP data acquisition following a reboot. As I mentioned in a previous post, if you wait 25 minutes following a reboot the DVR+ will have a full boat of PSIP data for all the channels, allowing you to see how much PSIP data each channel provides in your broadcast area. About 5 minutes after yesterday's evening reboot I began recording a program on one channel, but watched a program on another channel. Programs on both channels were an hour in length. About 25 minutes after the reboot I pulled up the Guide during a commercial break on the channel I was watching live. I noticed that only the first serving of PSIP data had loaded for all the channels, and even then it was limited to program titles. No program descriptions had loaded. I checked the recording schedule and noticed that while all the programs were still scheduled, none of them had program descriptions.

I concluded two things from this. One is that when both tuners are in use there is zero chance of PSIP data acquisition for all channels other than the two that are in use, for as long as both tuners are in use. The second is that the first serving of PSIP data must have been downloaded in the brief time between when the reboot completed and when I began recording on one channel and watching another. It got me to wondering if the lag between when the DVR+ reboots and when it can first begin recording (3-5 minutes or so) is purposeful, and intended to let the Guide populate with a minimum amount of data. Sort of like priming the pump. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the scheduled recordings, as they were all still listed in the schedule, albeit minus program descriptions. But in the Guide they didn't even have titles, even though their grid boxes were still outlined in red. My guess is that they would still record without any issues, but the title may be "Unknown Event" in the recording list unless they acquire the data to fill in the correct title by the time the recording ends. That raises the interesting possibility that you could have a folder full of recordings named "Unknown Event", with only the time and channel to clue you in on what they are.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
when both tuners are in use there is zero chance of PSIP data acquisition for all channels other than the two that are in use
This surprises you? PSIP data is in the data stream. If a tuner is available, it can walk the guide updating PSIP data. If no tuner is available, where exactly do you expect that PSIP data to come from?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
This surprises you? PSIP data is in the data stream. If a tuner is available, it can walk the guide updating PSIP data. If no tuner is available, where exactly do you expect that PSIP data to come from?
I'm not surprised by the fact that it happens. Just a bit surprised that the process is so much more layered than I thought it was. I was kind of expecting it to download the data in much bigger chunks than it does. In the first 5 minutes it appears that only the first three hours of program titles are downloaded. Then after that it seems that it alternately download program titles and program descriptions. Once completed, the program descriptions come and go fairly frequently, disappearing and reappearing constantly. But the program titles are static once they appear. Maybe this is to schedule recordings as soon as possible when the data is available. I've also noticed that while program descriptions show in the grid when the Info button is pressed they more often than not disappear when I switch to that channel, then reappearing a few minutes later.

17301 - 17320 of 17993 Posts