AVS Forum banner

17361 - 17380 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you stream more than you watch OTA television the Stream+ might be for you. If you watch more OTA television than stream, you will probably be disappointed and are better off sticking with the DVR+. The Internet guide for the DVR+ isn't necessarily coming to an end, either. CM is working on keeping it going, but there is nothing definite yet, so it could go either way. You can always get your "couple of days in advance" by supplementing the PSIP guide with an online guide. Bottom line: At the current time, there is no perfect DVR, and there is no perfect guide solution. All you can do is weigh the available options and live with your choices.

I actually disagree with this. The Stream+ is nearly equal to the DVR+ in terms of OTA recording / viewing if you are just interested in time shifting, but not very good if you stream a lot. It no longer has the Hulu app, and has never had Prime or Netflix. They have never gotten certification as an Android TV box, so I think as a streamer, it's far less capable than a Roku or Fire TV stick.

At the time I abandoned it, the Stream+ did not have a 14 day channel guide IF your local market had more than about 100 OTA channels (or if you added in Pluto TV channels that brought the total ABLE TO BE RECEIVED up over 100). Note this limitation had to do with the number of channels available, not the number you have shown in the guide. My understanding is that this has been fixed and you get the full 14 day guide now.

It also did not do "chase play", where you start recording a show at 8 PM, then start watching that recording in progress at 8:15, intending to skip commercials until you get back to "live" status. I don't know if that limitation has been fixed. Since memory issues are the reason for the restrictions, I suspect chase play is still missing.

Those aside, it works very well as an OTA DVR. But if you watch Netflix, Prime or Hulu, then you will need another streaming device like a Roku or Fire TV. So, that's really on parity with the DVR+, where CMTV never did get the ability to stream those either.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I have 2 DVR+ units, each with a WD My Passport external drive (set to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity via the WD utility). Each one does spin down 10 minutes after the DVR+ goes into standby if it is not recording. While in this spun-down state, the My Passport drive's LED blinks 2-seconds on/2-seconds off, an indication that it is in standby. So even if your drive's LED is blinking, that does not necessarily mean the drive is on.

I believe this setup keeps my drives from spinning unnecessarily. That being said, however, I just removed a WD Black internal 2.5" 500GB HDD from my Dell Optiplex 9020M that has been spinning 24/7 for the past 5-1/2 years to replace it with a Samsung SSD. I did this out of an abundance of caution, not because of any impending drive failure; the drive was working completely reliably and was quite happy spinning for those years. I have no idea what drive is inside the WD My Passports, but I suspect they would hold up pretty well also under continuous-on conditions.

In short, it's pretty much a non-issue. But I see no harm in having my drives spin down when idle.
I would recommend install https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/ and dig into the drive's guts ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
It also did not do "chase play", where you start recording a show at 8 PM, then start watching that recording in progress at 8:15, intending to skip commercials until you get back to "live" status. I don't know if that limitation has been fixed. Since memory issues are the reason for the restrictions, I suspect chase play is still missing.
According to the specs it still can't do that. However, I've never heard if you can go ahead and watch that program live at 8:15 and manually rewind to the beginning? Anyone know?
Sorry I know this should probably be in the Stream+ thread, but it came up here so...Thanks! Mine arrives Monday so I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
838 Posts
According to the specs it still can't do that. However, I've never heard if you can go ahead and watch that program live at 8:15 and manually rewind to the beginning? Anyone know?
Sorry I know this should probably be in the Stream+ thread, but it came up here so...Thanks! Mine arrives Monday so I'll find out soon enough.

You can watch it live, but cannot rewind to view any more than the buffer that starts building when you first start watching, if I recall correctly. I think if you watch live for five minutes you can rewind that five minutes, but not view the recording in progress. If you do, it stops recording and you get only the 15 minutes that recorded before you interrupted it.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If you stream more than you watch OTA television the Stream+ might be for you. If you watch more OTA television than stream, you will probably be disappointed and are better off sticking with the DVR+. The Internet guide for the DVR+ isn't necessarily coming to an end, either. CM is working on keeping it going, but there is nothing definite yet, so it could go either way. You can always get your "couple of days in advance" by supplementing the PSIP guide with an online guide. Bottom line: At the current time, there is no perfect DVR, and there is no perfect guide solution. All you can do is weigh the available options and live with your choices.
CM's sale made it appealing for a minute, but I think I'll stick with my original plan, which is to wait until ATSC 3.0 is launched in my area and buy one of those STBs.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
178 Posts
CM's sale made it appealing for a minute, but I think I'll stick with my original plan, which is to wait until ATSC 3.0 is launched in my area and buy one of those STBs.
According to what I have read on the internet, (It must be true.), stations which adopt ATSC 3.0 broadcast signals must continue to offer the current ATSC 1.0 signals at least until 2025. Therefore Stream+ and DVR+ should continue to function properly until then.

Reference: "stations that do voluntarily broadcast in ATSC 3.0 must continue to offer ATSC 1.0 signals for at least five years after the switch", which can be found here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/atsc-3-0-ota-broadcast-standard-4k-dolby-atmos/

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Preliminary Report

I haven't had the time to do all of the experimenting needed, but I have used a variety of zip codes (I live in the Las Vegas Valley) AND 00000 and I get a week's worth of guide data at most. And even then, I get a lot of "Unknown Event" .
What needs to be done next?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I haven't had the time to do all of the experimenting needed, but I have used a variety of zip codes (I live in the Las Vegas Valley) AND 00000 and I get a week's worth of guide data at most. And even then, I get a lot of "Unknown Event" .
What needs to be done next?
For this experiment, only zip code 00000 is relevant.

1. Does the PSIP data automatically stay up to date on all channels, without having to tune to each channel? That's the Biggy! No "dummies" and no reboots either.

2. Can the DVR+ be "On" (bright blue LED), or in Standby (dim blue LED), and the PSIP data stays up to date in either case?

3. Are all scheduled recordings captured?

4. Does the clock stay correct?
4. Does the clock stay correct without a Wired or WiFi Internet connection?

PS, A Week of PSIP data?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
For this experiment, only zip code 00000 is relevant.

1. Does the PSIP data automatically stay up to date on all channels, without having to tune to each channel? That's the Biggy! No "dummies" and no reboots either.

2. Can the DVR+ be "On" (bright blue LED), or in Standby (dim blue LED), and the PSIP data stays up to date in either case?

3. Are all scheduled recordings captured?

4. Does the clock stay correct?

PS, A Week of PSIP data?
On it. Will check back.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
On it. Will check back.
Great!:)

I revised item #4 , in my earlier post, to specifically note that there can be no Internet connection. The clock does stay correct with an Internet connection, at least during last nights DST change ( I forgot to disconnect mine ), but how does it do when relying itself/ broadcast(s) to stay set?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
According to what I have read on the internet, (It must be true.), stations which adopt ATSC 3.0 broadcast signals must continue to offer the current ATSC 1.0 signals at least until 2025. Therefore Stream+ and DVR+ should continue to function properly until then.

Reference: "stations that do voluntarily broadcast in ATSC 3.0 must continue to offer ATSC 1.0 signals for at least five years after the switch", which can be found here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/atsc-3-0-ota-broadcast-standard-4k-dolby-atmos/
Yes, ATSC 1.0 isn't going away anytime soon. I'm just going to go the ATSC 3.0 route when it becomes available to me.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
You can watch it live, but cannot rewind to view any more than the buffer that starts building when you first start watching, if I recall correctly. I think if you watch live for five minutes you can rewind that five minutes, but not view the recording in progress. If you do, it stops recording and you get only the 15 minutes that recorded before you interrupted it.
I believe if you press pause it will buffer up to two hours (?). So you could walk away and come back and FF through commercials. I have found that if I change input the buffer will disappear.

I bought a Stream and have been underwhelmed. So much so, that I use my HTPC Hauppauge now for my DVR. It isn't a great solution, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recordings failing

Lately all of my scheduled recordings have been failing. It says that they failed due to weak signal. This confused me because, on two occasions, I had tuned into the channel in question during the recording time and the picture and sound were fine. Then tonight I was watching a show live and I noticed that the pause function wasn't working so I tried pressing the record button and nothing happened. I looked a the scheduled recordings and saw the same "weak signal" message even though I was watching the show through the DVR+. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Note: I had been watching old recordings with no problems and had run the check disk function successfully before trying this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Lately all of my scheduled recordings have been failing. It says that they failed due to weak signal. This confused me because, on two occasions, I had tuned into the channel in question during the recording time and the picture and sound were fine. Then tonight I was watching a show live and I noticed that the pause function wasn't working so I tried pressing the record button and nothing happened. I looked a the scheduled recordings and saw the same "weak signal" message even though I was watching the show through the DVR+. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Note: I had been watching old recordings with no problems and had run the check disk function successfully before trying this.
I've seen similar things, and have even seen the a message that reads something like "Signal lost" appear in the recordings when I play them back. I found that most of the time it was due to multipath interference. Moving and changing my antenna fixed it. I also would see the picture appear to be normal when it happened. I would suggest that you check both signal strength and especially signal quality in the settings. Signal quality seems to be much more important when it comes to these messages.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I've seen similar things, and have even seen the a message that reads something like "Signal lost" appear in the recordings when I play them back. I found that most of the time it was due to multipath interference. Moving and changing my antenna fixed it. I also would see the picture appear to be normal when it happened. I would suggest that you check both signal strength and especially signal quality in the settings. Signal quality seems to be much more important when it comes to these messages.
Indeed !
Instead of checking HDD(why ?), need to watch (not just check !) SS and SQ for a couple minutes.
STEADY SQ is the essence of good signal eg how many unrecoverable errors in TS [transport stream] !

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Indeed !
Instead of checking HDD(why ?), need to watch (not just check !) SS and SQ for a couple minutes.
SQ is the essence of good signal eg how many unrecoverable errors in TS [transport stream] !
Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not so much the signal quality number that is most important, but it's stability. I've had high signal quality numbers, but poor reception because the signal quality constantly fluctuated, and great reception with low but stable signal quality.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Although it doesn't sound like @invertedsphere's problem, it's worth mentioning again that another reason for recordings inexplicably failing is reaching the 999 recording limit. The DVR+ just stops recording and never really explains what's wrong.

17361 - 17380 of 17993 Posts