AVS Forum banner

17641 - 17660 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm still hoping that CM will come out with a new DVR when ATSC 3.0 becomes the norm. It may be that they see this happening 5+ years down the road and want to stay in the game with something until then.
Look to me, CM did set its future course of selling DVRs to partnering with TiVo !

When ATSC 3.0 will be widely adopted, TiVo definitely will bring new DVR to the market. Speaking without speculations - TiVo is working now on such DVR... there is R&D in progress for sure

·
Registered
59 Posts
Time will tell...

Doesn't feel like much of a partnership to me.
Feels more like just a random, one-time opportunity to get a slight bump in revenues.
Someone at either CM or TiVo had the idea to increase revenues by a one-time exploitation of CM's DVR+ mailing list.
Not a bad way to monetize an idle asset, but hardly a partnership.

Reactions: timothee

·
Registered
548 Posts
I see it as possibly an indication of both companies seeing where the trend is going. TiVo Edge units have certainly not been flying off the shelves. In addition to CM, many feel that that TiVo will also not release another retail DVR. DVR's are becoming a niche product with a user-base that declines each year as streaming and cloud dvr use increases. Outside of small niche companies like SiliconDust and Tablo - only Amazon is an alternative and that was done only because the overall goal was to boost Fire TV sales. A company won't jump in with a ton of investment on a DVR product when the users of that product get fewer and fewer every year. 75% of new cord-cutters don't implement any DVR whatsoever. Those with traditional box DVR's are going to be clinging to traditional TV, while the niche DVR-savvy crowd has already moved to the new darling of the DVR world 'Channels' or some kind of networked setup like Plex or Emby. The odds CM is looking to introduce a new DVR down the road are probably only a little better than them also introducing a new phonograph player. :)

It's too bad. Although I'm firmly in the network camp now and could never consider going back to a traditional box setup for most of my media - there are some admittedly fringe cases where a box with an accessible hard drive still is the best solution. When I dumped the traditional box from that 'other' company a couple of years ago (after nearly 10 years of having it) - I did incorporate a cheap m-star box into my setup. Time-shifting football games to sync up the video with the radio broadcast is so much easier and simpler with the m-star based box than it would be with a network system. My wife's M-F chat shows are much easier to pull off the external hard drive on the m-star box and commercial-edit (needing no special software to access the recordings) prior to moving them to my media server than it would be with a network server.

But a traditional DVR box has a shrinking base of users and I'm not sure I see CM (or TiVo, for that matter) investing much more into that userbase.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Look to me, CM did set its future course of selling DVRs to partnering with TiVo !

When ATSC 3.0 will be widely adopted, TiVo definitely will bring new DVR to the market. Speaking without speculations - TiVo is working now on such DVR... there is R&D in progress for sure

Silicon Dust also has an ATSC 3.0 HD Homerun unit on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-atsc-30 At $200 they have also broken the high price barrier that other early ATSC 3 tuners promised (2 of 4 tuners are ATSC 3.0; all 4 are also current standard).

I can see CM coming out with another DVR with ATSC 3 if there's someone that can build it for them and get Android or Google TV certified so they can also stream Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. But I don't see them being able to do it themselves, and a "hardware only" solution like Technicolor's Skipper/Stream+ has been a disappointment.

Meanwhile, since my DVR+ died, I've converted to Amazon Recast and we're generally happy. I believe it is the only device currently that has a free, two week guide.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The downside of anything TiVo related is that an Internet connection will probably be mandatory if you want any kind of an EPG. What CM needs to do is partner with a company that doesn't make money through streaming, sat/cable or by harvesting our personal behaviors.

DVR's are becoming a niche product with a user-base that declines each year as streaming and cloud dvr use increases. Outside of small niche companies like SiliconDust and Tablo - only Amazon is an alternative and that was done only because the overall goal was to boost Fire TV sales. A company won't jump in with a ton of investment on a DVR product when the users of that product get fewer and fewer every year. 75% of new cord-cutters don't implement any DVR whatsoever.
And yet sales of rooftop antennas have been increasing significantly over the last several years. I can understand why streamers don't purchase DVR's. But for people who receive OTA television, a DVR is no more unusual than a VCR was before 2009. In fact, it could be seen as indispensable as the VCR was. So I don't think the key demographics to look at are how many people are moving to streaming. The key to the future of DVR's is how many people are watching OTA television. As long as those numbers are increasing as a percentage of households I think the DVR is always going to have a place in the consumer market. The big question is whether or not they have a PSIP guide or will they all require an Internet connection.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My Channel Master DVR+ "disappeared" for a while yesterday. This time I just let it be and when I came back a couple of hours later, it was back and had recorded programs scheduled during the time when it vanished. I wish there were some logic to this. I may send another message to Channel Master about this.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I've converted to Amazon Recast and we're generally happy. I believe it is the only device currently that has a free, two week guide.
The AirTV does; you need a Sling "guest" account but you don't need to buy a subscription from them.

The downside to the TiVo, Recast, and AirTV guides, though, is that they all need the Internet connection. They don't have a PSIP fallback like the DVR+.

·
Registered
122 Posts
See the pics. There are no more holes in my DVR+ guide! I spent a good part of today trying to figure out why the 'New Status' was not working on the channel 15's. I figured out I must have corrupted the memory of the DVR+ with some bad data or by killing the network connection a few times because it ended up working on my other DVR+. Guess I should not have been doing development work on my primary DVR because now I think I have to factory reset and re-add my series recordings. :mad:

PiGS is fetching over 14 days of programs from SD, but DVR+ only asks for a maximum of 14 days. I had to 'manually' configure the favorite station list, but that is pretty much unchanging, so not a big deal for a test.

• New Status works
  • Added extra text to the program description (s/e, air date, episode title)
  • HD, CC, icons Rating(TV-14) don't work yet (but dvr+ seems to merge the OTA info sometimes)
  • Needs more error handling
  • Needs a way to select your zipcode/lineups, etc.
  • I was able to load icons on the left
That's about it. Time for a drink.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
See the pics. There are no more holes in my DVR+ guide! I spent a good part of today trying to figure out why the 'New Status' was not working on the channel 15's. I figured out I must have corrupted the memory of the DVR+ with some bad data or by killing the network connection a few times because it ended up working on my other DVR+. Guess I should not have been doing development work on my primary DVR because now I think I have to factory reset and re-add my series recordings. :mad:

PiGS is fetching over 14 days of programs from SD, but DVR+ quits asking for data when it hits 14 days. I had to 'manually' configure the favorite station list, but that is pretty much unchanging, so not a big deal for a test.
That's about it. Time for a drink.
Looking good!!!

Before a dreaded Factory Reset on your main DVR+, have you at least rebooted (I suspect you have)? Have you reinstalled version 135R (that doesn't loose settings)?

While my DVR+ is somewhat useless (no audio), I've always wanted a Raspberry PI, but didn't know what I'd do with it. Maybe I can use this to justify getting one, even without audio on the DVR+! Give me a little more hope, and I'll be ordering a PI 4, a display, and a keyboard this weekend.

I'll have a drink to your success, and probably a few more of us will as well.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
PiGS is fetching over 14 days of programs from SD
I dig the name. Does this mean that you have successfully mapped all the fields? What will be involved on the user side to keep the guide updated?

BTW, you might want to at least get an application on file to trademark the name...and also buy an appropriate domain name for it. Kind of doubt that "pigs.com" has been available for many years though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looking good!!!
Before a dreaded Factory Reset on your main DVR+, have you at least rebooted (I suspect you have)? Have you reinstalled version 135R (that doesn't loose settings)?
While my DVR+ is somewhat useless (no audio), I've always wanted a Raspberry PI, but didn't know what I'd do with it. Maybe I can use this to justify getting one, even without audio on the DVR+!
I unplugged the power for a few seconds and re-powered... same thing. I think I got myself into this situation once before...

No audio? strange problem if the video is making it to your TV since the audio comes digitally through the same path... shouldnt be any external audio components to mess it up.
Did you try a different hdmi cable? or maybe a loose hdmi connector on the board. diffent hdmi port on TV or receiver?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looking good!!!
Give me a little more hope, and I'll be ordering a PI 4, a display, and a keyboard this weekend.
Like what kind of hope are you looking for?!? It works! :)

And this morning I was able to get the Pi to act as the DNS server for redirection, eliminating the need for a router to do this job!
I found a simple tutorial on how to set up 'dsnmasq' to do this (and it can also act as a local cache to speed up your web browsing for your whole network!)

I set my Pi to a static IP address of xxx.xxx.1.200 ( an address outside the range handed out by my router)
I installed dnsmasq onto the Pi and added the line
xxx.xxx.1.200 epg.channelmastertv.com
to the etc/hosts file on Pi, where xxx is your network prefix

I found that you can set a static IP on DVR+ which means we can just point DVR+ to the Pi for DNS
(they call it Auto Setup Enable[DHCP] Disable[Static] in the Network menu)
These are the settings I used:
IP address = xxx.xxx.1.201 # an address outside the range handed out by my router
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 #(was set automatically)
Gateway Adress xxx.xxx.1.1 #(base address of my router)
Primary DNS xxx.xxx.1.200 #(send request to the Pi instead of the router)
I did a Guide refresh and the Pi(dnsmasq) redirected DVR+ to PiGS. I made the same changes to my other DVR+ (ip=x.x.x.202) and it was also able to use PiGS.

I added some info on the Pi I am using to the [Raspberry Pi] tab of the shared google doc (click)

·
Registered
65 Posts
And this morning I was able to get the Pi to act as the DNS server for redirection, eliminating the need for a router to do this job!
I've been following your posts since you started on this and wondered if there's a way to have my router deliver dvr+ requests to my machine? I already use dnsmasq (linux) and was curious if instead of having a pi I could request SD info from my computer, format it/return to the router which then sends it back to the dvr+?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been following your posts since you started on this and wondered if there's a way to have my router deliver dvr+ requests to my machine? I already use dnsmasq (linux) and was curious if instead of having a pi I could request SD info from my computer, format it/return to the router which then sends it back to the dvr+?
Yes you could. you just find the config file on your router (i think i had to telnet / putty into my router) and edit it. it might be slash etc/hosts

your computer has to have a static IP (or set the router so it always gives your PC the same ip given its mac) so that the dns has a known IP to forward to.
Add the line to the dnsmasq

IP-of-your-pc epg.channelmastertv.com
e.g.
192.168.1.43 epg.channelmastertv.com

Do that, then open a pc command prompt and type 'ping epg.channelmastertv.com' and see if the router returns the IP you configured

Then you need an application (a mini webserver) running on the PC to process the DVR+ requests, which is what I am writing in Python for the RaspPi
It's way more involved that just forwarding SD json data to the DVR+. It has to be downloaded, reformatted, cached on the Pi in chronological order, etc.

But now that you ask, it makes me wonder... Can you install Python on your PC (i'm using 3.7) and directly use the code I am writing? would it work???? Interesting question.

I only started using Python for this project and know very little about its capabilities across platforms.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
... Can you install Python on your PC (i'm using 3.7) and directly use the code I am writing? would it work???? Interesting question.

I only started using Python for this project and know very little about its capabilities across platforms.
I know people who're doing developments using Python 3.7 on Intel/Win PCs.
Should your code modified, it would someone tell us here

·
Registered
65 Posts
Then you need an application (a mini webserver)
I use 3rd-party fw on my router and can append hosts as needed or do anything else once I figure out how to do it. iirc it might already run an instance of dnsmasq I can use instead.

the quoted above would be the part I don't know about, I browsed your google doc a couple weeks ago but will look at it again more closely.

I have python 2.7.12 and 3.4.5 (linux) but don't know python programming, mostly just enough perl to be dangerous and shell scripting. if you want me to try something I'd be happy to do it although I imagine it wouldn't help until I've gotten the dvr+ able to reach my pc?

the reason I asked about this was because I only update dvr+ guide two or three times a week and usually when I already have my computer on. so while I've wanted a pi to play with for at least a couple years, using what I have now (if possible) would be handier.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Like what kind of hope are you looking for?!? It works! :)
This kind! Ordered Pi 4 - 4GB fan cooled kit ($100), and 7" Touch Screen ($50) through Wal*Mart. Already have a spare wired keyboard and wired mouse.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You know, I have a lot of money invested in the CM DVR+. I HAVE 3 of them here in my home. I use them for dedicated networks. One for CBS/CW, one for ABC/NBC (simply because they come from the same station), and the 3rd one for FOX. But I'm getting tired of day after day after day after day of setting up timers for recordings. It should not have to be that way. The CM DVR+ is still one of the finest recoding devices ever created. But I'm fed up with it it. I guess I got spoiled clicking along with 2 weeks of data at my disposal... The CM DVR+ is just not cutting it any more, and that saddens me. I want the ease back again. I'm going to start actively looking for a replacement. Tablo? Roamio? Something. This is quite the shame and a dad day. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for programming data... These were fine machines now merely limping along due to limited guide data. Sigh.
JHBrandt's DVR+ alternative forum is here:

There's not a lot of traffic in that thread, but it is a nice location to keep up-to-date on new releases for alternatives/replacements for the DVR+.

My DVR+ is still going strong and the ZIP=00000 trick will help when the EPG finally stops working. So basically it works until it doesn't work...

Scott

·
Registered
122 Posts
I dig the name. Does this mean that you have successfully mapped all the fields? What will be involved on the user side to keep the guide updated?

PiGS just does it all by itself. When the DVR+ first contacts PiGS for a schedule update, it makes a postalcode call. In that code I check the cached schedule. This is how I did it....

-- This is how the schedule is built on the fly...
if ScheduleIsStale() :
logging.info('Schedule out of date. Ignoring DVR+ and building schedule!')
BuildLinearSchedule(PiGSd, PiGS_SERVICEID, True)
return -- ignore DVR+ and let it timeout and retry
What that says is... check when we last downloaded the schedule from SD. inside ScheduleIsStale() I check if it was built more than 30 minutes ago.
If so, then I rebuild the schedule right now and ignore the DVR's zip code request.
DVR+ is quite happy to try again in a few minutes... and it seems to work so far.
Doing it this way allows you to do a manual guide refresh 'anytime' you want, limited to once every 30 minutes. Well ok, you can do as many guide refreshes as you want, but you will just keep getting the cached schedule for 30 minutes. Unless you were to reset/reboot miss Piggy.

Actually I think I am going to change that time to longer b/c someone pointed out that rarely does a TV schedule change the day of. DVR+ only does 1 download a day anyway.

The SD schedule download for my 29 channels thru 6/09 took 34 seconds to download. Then a while for DVR+ to makes all its calls (it is quite slow)

·
Registered
122 Posts
You know, I have a lot of money invested in the CM DVR+. I HAVE 3 of them here in my home. I use them for dedicated networks. One for CBS/CW, one for ABC/NBC (simply because they come from the same station), and the 3rd one for FOX. But I'm getting tired of day after day after day after day of setting up timers for recordings. It should not have to be that way. The CM DVR+ is still one of the finest recoding devices ever created. But I'm fed up with it it. I guess I got spoiled clicking along with 2 weeks of data at my disposal... The CM DVR+ is just not cutting it any more, and that saddens me. I want the ease back again. I'm going to start actively looking for a replacement. Tablo? Roamio? Something. This is quite the shame and a dad day. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for programming data... These were fine machines now merely limping along due to limited guide data. Sigh.

You need to check the most recent posts to see what is going on...

17641 - 17660 of 17993 Posts