AVS Forum banner

17721 - 17740 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I already have the SD subscription,
Will have to be careful here... It will be important that whatever lineups you have selected in your other SD app, are also selected in PiGS, even if you dont pick channels from that other lineup, otherwise PiGS will add/delete to make its lineup match SDs. this is b/c SD allows for 4 lineups max.

eg, you currently have lineup A and B with your other app. if you only add lineup A to PiGS and click Save Settings, PiGS will delete lineup B in your SD account.

when you get to that point, let me know - i suspect there are not a lot of dual client SD users out there.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Just think if @wlarsong's whole home method can be implemented. It requires a Pi too, but maybe there's a way around that!
Actually he used a Beaglebone. It's very similar of course; the main reason for choosing the Beaglebone was to get a SBC with both a USB host and USB device port, so he could intercept the USB connection to the HDD.

I don't know if a Pi can do that. Maybe the Pi 4 can. If it can, it's likely you could host both applications on the same SBC!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Will have to be careful here... It will be important that whatever lineups you have selected in your other SD app, are also selected in PiGS, even if you dont pick channels from that other lineup, otherwise PiGS will add/delete to make its lineup match SDs. this is b/c SD allows for 4 lineups max.

eg, you currently have lineup A and B with your other app. if you only add lineup A to PiGS and click Save Settings, PiGS will delete lineup B in your SD account.

when you get to the point, let me know - i suspect there are not a lot of dual client SD users out there.
ATM I only have one SD lineup, but I'll keep this in mind. I'm constantly striving to receive channels beyond my local market - usually without much luck, but there's a slim chance I could pull in KLTV/7 from the Tyler market with a good enough VHF antenna. It would probably go to a dedicated HDHR, so the DVR+ would never see it, but I would nevertheless need to add a second lineup to my SD account if I manage to pull it off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Currently it requires a Raspberry Pi computer, but timothee and ej_eddie are looking into an alternative using your computer instead of a Pi.
fwiw I did my first dvr+ SD guide update last night from my linux machine, timothee did such a FANTASTIC job the software was basically plug and play, maybe took an hour of tinkering to get things sorted out and make a couple teensy little changes (specific to my setup).

unfortunately while I could help ppl using linux I don't have near the same tech skills on windows, eg I have no idea how one would get and run python on it if it's not already there by default. hopefully if I have time this weekend I plan to try doing this from a win8 partition.

I love the whole pi and standalone thing but in my case I work from home so the computer is already on. so I figured if possible mine would be perfect running from a cron job a couple times a week and now THANKS to timothee that will happen :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've heard of that flashing light thing. I looked at this table https://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/raspberrypi-models-comparison
and it said that the B+ was 1.13A, lower than the Model B, and I figured many phone chargers do 2A, so it would work.

The Raspberry Pi website of course says use their 2.5A charger, but it seemed like overkill for the actual use current. No?

To be safe, one could always be safe and go for the OEM charger - I was just trying to offer and lowest entry cost possible.
I understand. But I have been there on both a Pi2 that runs Kodi under OPENElec, and on this Pi3. I found (when the original power supply on the Pi2 died) that I needed a pretty decent power supply and (most importantly) a cable with heavy gauge power wires to keep the blinking red LED quiet when the CPU is under load and avoid the little icon in the corner of the screen (variously a lightning bolt or a rainbow-colored square) that also indicates low voltage. In the case of the Pi3, I power it from the 2.4A port of a plugged-in myCharge power bank (a little UPS of sorts) and needed to use contact cleaner on both the USB-A and the micro USB ends of a 40-inch PortaPow 20AWG cable to ensure good low-resistance connections and stable supply voltage at the Pi3. When the LED was blinking, the Pi hardware did not always run reliably.

So for anyone who's never used a Pi before and tries this, you'll know what the blinking red LED means if it happens. When all is well, the red LED should be on solid whenever the Pi is powered up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love the whole pi and standalone thing but in my case I work from home so the computer is already on. so I figured if possible mine would be perfect running from a cron job a couple times a week and now THANKS to timothee that will happen :)
Congrats on getting it to work without the Pi! That means there is hope for Windoze. If you are not keeping PiGS running all the time, how will you get DVR+ to update? PiGS does not 'push' the schedule out, dvr+ asks for it daily... or will you just do a manual guide refresh when you have PiGS running?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are not keeping PiGS running all the time, how will you get DVR+ to update? PiGS does not 'push' the schedule out, dvr+ asks for it daily... or will you just do a manual guide refresh when you have PiGS running?
I don't need 2.4G wifi for anything else so leave it off most of the time (2.4 generates a ton of heat in my router), I set the router to enable it a couple times a week for a 1/2 hour. dvr+ always seems to be waiting to try an update (even before PiGS) as soon as it has a signal. this is how I've been updating since I got the dvr+.

so a cron job will start PiGS to listen on the same days/times the router is scheduled to turn on 2.4G. dvr+ like always will be waiting to do an update but now with your wonderfulness swapped in to serve it up :) when it's done the cron job kills PiGS.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this is just so awesome I can't stand it!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
fwiw I did my first dvr+ SD guide update last night from my linux machine...

unfortunately while I could help ppl using linux I don't have near the same tech skills on windows, eg I have no idea how one would get and run python on it if it's not already there by default. hopefully if I have time this weekend I plan to try doing this from a win8 partition.
It's worth a LOT! Congrats!

While I know little about setting PiGS up on Windows, I did a bit of Googling and found the following sites that should help anyone interested to get Python on their Windows machine.

Python Installer x64
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.3/python-3.8.3-amd64.exe\

Python Installer x86
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.3/python-3.8.3.exe

Python CHM Help file
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.3/python383.chm

How to install Python 3 on Windows 10
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-install-python-3-windows

I'm sure there are YouTube videos on the subject... Yeah, there are tons. Just Google.

·
Registered
121 Posts
so a cron job will start PiGS to listen on the same days/times the router is scheduled to turn on 2.4G. dvr+ like always will be waiting to do an update but now with your wonderfulness swapped in to serve it up [
Actually this makes a lot of sense. I depend on that very same 'DVR feature' to build the guide. Whenever the DVR asks pigs for the schedule, I check how old the schedule is and rebuild it if it's too old or if it's not there. So basically if the schedule is not ready I just ignore the DVR's request the first time it asks.

DVR patiently waits and asks for it again in a few minutes, and then it gets what it wants. I just didn't know that it would do this for days and days and days on end until you turned your Wi-Fi back on! With all your wonderful networking tools are you able to measure the DVR timeout retry interval? I thought it might be like 3 minutes or so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
are you able to measure the DVR timeout retry interval? I thought it might be like 3 minutes or so.
I'll retry to be sure but I think the first ping from the dvr+ last night while I was monitoring everything happened pretty quick once I had 2.4G on. I could see repeated little blips after that first one in the router traffic monitor and remember wondering why PiGS never responded (realized later my computer firewall was blocking communications). and those subsequent blips seem to have been closer together than three minutes each but this is from memory so I could be wrong.

my guess why this has always worked for me is that if dvr+ is prevented from accessing internet for a day or two at a time it stays more or less primed to start right away the moment it has a connection. I don't remember which dvr+ menu item it is but when I first started doing this years ago to know how long to have router leave 2.4G on I noticed that menu item said it was done with the guide update much sooner than I was expecting (and this was back when guide data was reliably a full two weeks' worth).

·
Registered
121 Posts
In the case of the Pi3, I power it from the 2.4A port of a plugged-in myCharge power bank (a little UPS of sorts) and needed to use contact cleaner on both the USB-A and the micro USB ends of a 40-inch PortaPow 20AWG cable to ensure good low-resistance connections and stable supply voltage at the Pi3. When the LED was blinking, the Pi hardware did not always run reliably. So for anyone who's never used a Pi before and tries this, you'll know what the blinking red LED means if it happens. When all is well, the red LED should be on solid whenever the Pi is powered up.
I have experienced these power issues with phone chargers also, to the point that I purchased a USB power tester to see how many mA were being pulled through different cables (currently on $17 on amzn, Eversame 2in1 type C test 'might' do the same thing) and found that crappy cables KILLED the power flow. Also some chargers do some 'negotiation' to get the the higher Amps, but most is the cable. As @frank70, says, the cable is important. Shorter is better, but the term is 'charging cable.'

But, being the (former) engineer that I am, I had to do more research. Here is all about Pi Power, right from the horses mouth for the various devices.
In the B+ spec sheet it says there are 3 ways to power the Pi:
5V/2.5A DC via micro USB connector
5V DC via GPIO header
Power over Ethernet (PoE)–enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)​

5V DC via GPIO header.... Hmm... So, if you have an old 5V wall plug from a Router or other device, you could connect it to the power pins of the header on your Pi and have no issues. I bet YouTube can help anyone with that! Not as convenient, but if you have it lying around...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
HEY! I tried to post a new message to the PiGS forum and got this - what's going on (there is nothing at all offensive about the post)!:

Well that attempt to post an image failed spectacularly. Let me try again (see attachment):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Here's the post that I was trying to post to the PiGS forum, but it wouldn't let me:

My other favorite feature.... we beat the 'system.'
And if CM tries to get cute and force another firmware update on us to circumvent PiGS (which they could do by bypassing DNS and hard-coding the guide server IP), we can just add the firmware update host to the hosts file and redirect the firmware update check somewhere where it won't register.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Apparently the forbidden word in posts is "slash etc slash hosts" with the slashes replaced by "/".
Could be! I recently had a PM "BLOCKED", which I traced down to the PM containing references to Linux paths. I got around the problem by substituting the tilde character for every forward slash.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Here's the post that I was trying to post to the PiGS forum, but it wouldn't let me:

And if CM tries to get cute and force another firmware update on us to circumvent PiGS (which they could do by bypassing DNS and hard-coding the guide server IP), we can just add the firmware update host to the hosts file and redirect the firmware update check somewhere where it won't register.
I doubt CM even cares. If they wanted to "encourage" DVR+ users to upgrade that badly, they would've discontinued their own guide service by now. Besides, they'd have to order another firmware update from Dish, and I doubt they want to spend money just to sabotage a handful of PiGS users. (Also, you can't bypass DNS from the server end. To hard-code an IP address, CM would've had to sneak it into the last firmware update, and we'd all just roll back to 134R and carry on.)

But the folks who can't block the firmware update site from their router (not all routers have that ability) could use the hosts file to block it with PiGS, letting them run an older firmware version without disconnecting their DVR+'s from the Internet.

Also, one could use the PiGS hosts file to block the DVR+ from accessing Google, Microsoft, etc. for better privacy. (@Timothee discovered the DVR+ was accessing several such data-collection sites early in his research.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually he used a Beaglebone. It's very similar of course; the main reason for choosing the Beaglebone was to get a SBC with both a USB host and USB device port, so he could intercept the USB connection to the HDD.
I don't know if a Pi can do that. Maybe the Pi 4 can. If it can, it's likely you could host both applications on the same SBC!

About Pi4 - quote: Most of the technical limitations of the USB implementation on previous models are no longer present. The OTG hardware present on previous models of Pi is still available and it has moved to a single connection on the USB-C port. The OTG hardware is intended to be used in device-only mode on Pi 4.

It appears other Pi's also have this OTG device mode stuff as well. on the Pi4, how does one get access to the usb c port with the usb power supply plugged in?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Amazon delivered my Pi 3B+ today. It was shipped in a small, thin cardboard box in a padded envelope with no other packaging.

The Ethernet port was smashed. It was ruined. I was forced to return it. :mad:

Amazon pays return shipping, of course. Still, I spent $5 on a decent box and bubble wrap to send it back. At least it won't get back to them in worse shape than it was when I got it.

Really disappointed, but Amazon is usually pretty good about packaging their stuff for shipping. So I'll give them another chance. I expect they'll probably get it right next time.

17721 - 17740 of 17991 Posts