AVS Forum banner

17741 - 17760 of 17993 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Ethernet port was smashed. It was ruined. I was forced to return it. :mad:

Amazon pays return shipping, of course. Still, I spent $5 on a decent box and bubble wrap to send it back. At least it won't get back to them in worse shape than it was when I got it.
That's a huge bummer. Hopefully they ship the new one before they receive the old one.
FYI - if you take your Amazon return package to a drop off location like around here the Kohl's department store, they don't need any packaging. Same deal for the UPS store drop off location. They package it and pay for it.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
That's a huge bummer. Hopefully they ship the new one before they receive the old one.
Unfortunately, because of the way I bought it (an Amazon Warehouse Deal) a replacement wasn't an option. I had to take a refund and will have to buy it again when the refund comes. Depending on what's available, the replacement may be a few dollars more (or less, I guess, if I'm really lucky).

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Behavior of AVS forums lately...

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but it's very, very, very annoying. For me, whenever I enter a new post, and submit it, each blank line in my post gets changed to 2 blank lines. I then go back and edit it to go delete the extra blank line(s) and submit the change; it then stays at 1 blank line, which is what I wanted in the first place. It's getting a little old to keep having to do this. AVS forums didn't always work this way, it just seems to be in the past few months to a year. Is this happening to anyone else???

I'll delete this post once I get a sense of what I'm doing wrong.
See those two blank lines above... well I only typed in one blank line!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry, I know this is off topic, but it's very, very, very annoying. For me, whenever I enter a new post, and submit it, each blank line in my post gets changed to 2 blank lines. I then go back and edit it to go delete the extra blank line(s) and submit the change; it then stays at 1 blank line, which is what I wanted in the first place. It's getting a little old to keep having to do this. AVS forums didn't always work this way, it just seems to be in the past few months to a year. Is this happening to anyone else???...
Yep this happens to me too.

And yes, it's very annoying.

Yes, this is a somewhat recent issue.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry, I know this is off topic, but it's very, very, very annoying. For me, whenever I enter a new post, and submit it, each blank line in my post gets changed to 2 blank lines. ...
This issue appears to be tied to the current "Editor Mode". It's that little button on the far right hand side of the editors toolbar. It looks like a small capital "A" over a large italic capital "A". In one mode the extra lines are added. In the other mode they are NOT.

I don't see anything identifying which mode the editor is in, but the "good" mode is the one where the text is close to the window border. In the other mode the text is further form the border. Toggle the button a few times and you'll see this happen.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
This issue appears to be tied to the current "Editor Mode". It's that little button on the far right hand side of the editors toolbar. It looks like a small capital "A" over a large italic capital "A". In one mode the extra lines are added. In the other mode they are NOT.

I don't see anything identifying which mode the editor is in, but the "good" mode is the one where the text is close to the window border. In the other mode the text is further form the border. Toggle the button a few times and you'll see this happen.
Aha!!! Nice sleuth work pachinko! The "bad"mode is one in which text attributes appear the same way they will in the post, while the "good" mode is a more basic editor that shows embedded formatting codes.That really doesn't answer why the "bad" mode (which would seem more user friendly) puts in 2 blank lines for every one entered (a bug in the forum software no doubt), but at least it provides a workaround.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This issue appears to be tied to the current "Editor Mode".
It's the difference between 'What You See Is What You Get' and the Standard editor. For example, in Standard mode, when you want to bold something you put a b to start and /b to finish inside of square brackets. In the WYSIWYG editor you set bolding on and see your text bolded as you type.
The WYSIWYG editor may be assuming 2 lines between paragraphs?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Aha!!! ... The "bad"mode is one in which text attributes appear the same way they will in the post,...
It's the difference between 'What You See Is What You Get' and the Standard editor...
Ah! Got it! Thanks!

Now, how do I visually identify the editor window without any text in it?... Well, here's one way to tell, although it's hard to notice. Before pressing the button, look at its size. The "bad" button is a teeny, tiny, bit smaller than the "increase/decrease" toolbar button on its left. The "good" button is the same size as the "increase/decrease" button.

Does anyone see a better visual clue as to which mode you're in? Is there a way to lock the mode? Maybe a setting?... Ah! To make the "good" mode your default mode (the large icon), click on "Edit Options", page down to near bottom of options, choose "Standard Editor ...", and don't forget to Save Changes. I think I got it right, and that's the "good" mode!

Happy posting:), and maybe an administrator will get this bug addressed. Of course, in this "good" mode, things like smileys won't appear unless previewed, so it's ****** if you do and ****** if you don't.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Does anyone see a better visual clue as to which mode you're in?
In the WYSIWYG mode, the background is beige; in the "good" mode, the background is white.
In the WYSIWYG mode, if you type a character, it's in a serif font; in the "good" mode it's in a sans-serif font.

Here's another way to tackle the double blank line problem. After you've composed your post in the WYSIWYG mode, switch momentarily to the "good" mode, remove the extra blank lines, then switch back to the WYSIWYG mode. The fix will then stick.

Thanks for all the research pachinko.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In the WYSIWYG mode, the background is beige; in the "good" mode, the background is white....
Thanks back at ya?

FYI, the background color does not change when the forum editor is "AVS Forum Dark".

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know there is a forum for those using the new guide program, PiGS. This is for those thinking about switching.

Been following the guide stuff for a while. Amazed how quickly it came together. To tell you the truth, I didn't expect it to really work, at least to be usable for non-programmers.

I'm not a programmer. I wrote some BASIC in mid 90's, I was a late adopter to computers. Reasonably computer savvy. Been looking for excuse to get a Raspberry pi for years. I picked one up early Tues. afternoon , and had it running by late evening. It would have been sooner, but a bad OS disk from the store caused a slowdown.

For those of you on the fence, DO IT! It was easier than I expected, and the new, complete, ~14 day guide is nice!

Kudos to Timothy for all the hard work. We are very lucky to have someone willing and able to pull this off. Life expectancy of DVR+ extended.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Refresh Internet Guide Data

Here's a little DVR+ tidbit I discovered while testing PiGS...
If you select: Settings/Channel Setup/Antenna Channels/Refresh Internet Guide Data
a box will pop up asking you to Confirm the action.
But the horse has already left the gate - regardless of whether you select Confirm or simply hit Back or Exit or the power (standby) button or do nothing at all, the guide refresh has already started taking place. The box with the Confirm button is purely informative.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Been following the guide stuff for a while. Amazed how quickly it came together. To tell you the truth, I didn't expect it to really work, at least to be usable for non-programmers.
I'm really not sure how to respond to this :D:eek::D:rolleyes::D
I'm not surprised it worked, but you have to admit that from concept to roll out the rapidity of PiGS coming together is nothing short of amazing. Very rare for software. I'm also wondering if there might be other DVR's out there that can be exploited in the same way. Probably not the Stream+, since Google gets their tentacles into everything like a Star Trek Borg. Probably not any TiVo DVR's, either. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lesser DVR's used a similar method for updating their guides.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm also wondering if there might be other DVR's out there that can be exploited in the same way.
It would need to be evaluated on a case by case basis. The reason it was so easy with the CM DVR+ is that all the data coming back from the Rovi servers is clear text and in an industry standard format that's dirt simple to decode (JSON).

It would be just as simple for a vendor to encrypt the guide data from the server before transmission, and decode the data inside their DVR. An encrypted system is next to impossible to circumvent with your own guide server.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm really not sure how to respond to this :D:eek::D:rolleyes::D
I wasn't doubting your skills, I just expected some kind of road block that would prevent it from working. Or that the install would be beyond those, such as myself, with average pc skills. Your install guide makes it relatively easy.

I am amazed, to put it mildly. Great job!

17741 - 17760 of 17993 Posts