AVS Forum banner

17981 - 18000 of 18074 Posts

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Threads with new posts (should) appear with boldface titles. Once I'd tediously clicked on every one of them, got taken to the first post, clicked on the last page link, and gone back, the boldface changed to regular type.

After that was done, the forum started working correctly again. Yes, you can just click on the title to take you to the first unread post. The link at the title is where I grabbed the URL format.

BTW I noticed a lot of older posts (e.g., at the start of this thread) didn't get converted over correctly. Going back to read old posts is going to be challenging.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Threads with new posts (should) appear with boldface titles.
Thanks! However, in "Dark Mode" it's not very noticeable, at least not for me! The 1st one below is Bold, the 2nd one is not. (edit) It's the browser's zoom lever that makes font weight, between normal and bold, less distinguishable!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It's hidden under the 3 vertical dots at the upper right of the post. I just tried to edit a post I made in another forum in Jan 2016, and it appeared to be letting me before I canceled the edit.
Thanks. I'm glad they didn't set a time limit on when your ability to edit ends. That seems to be something that is used a lot by people here.

Yes, this can be done, but after all of the thread has been flagged as read, all you have to do is click on the forum's title, and it goes to the 1st unread post. I don't know the best way to mark a thread as read, but go to the last page, and it's automatically done.
Wouldn't work for me. I'm one of those people who have their browser set to clear cookies and history every time it closes, and Adblock Plus is set to delete LSO's (Flash cookies) every 10 seconds. Because of that I just go to the last page, scroll down and start reading. When my browser is open for extended periods of time I just park the page on the last post and once it sits there for a few minutes that's where it starts when the page is reloaded. It did that with the previous software, and based on my experience today it does the same with this new software. Sometimes it's six of one and a half dozen of the other when it comes to the efficiency of new features. Kind of like it's nice being able to copy and paste in a word processor, but often quicker to just retype what you want and keep on trucking without taking your hands off the keyboard.

·
Administrator
18,731 Posts
Please read the Feedback Thread and the FAQ for questions on the forum migration.

We're getting complaints about off topic posts about it in this thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I did try new batteries and no go. I believe some key or internal connection may be shorted. When I removed the batteries and tried new ones the upper right key that is used to turn on the tv lights up (red) for 3-5 seconds but nothing works on the remote and will not work even after the red light on the upper right key goes out. I do have a real Dish 20.1 (uses four AAA batteries). It is in new condition, still in the original plastic bag. Will it work without programming? Do I need to use a specific code to make it work with the DVR+ ? Thanks for your help. :)
tmn1, please check for a new PM in Conversations. This new BBS doesn't seem to generate a pop-up when a new PM has arrived.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It might be your remote needs a new battery.
I owe you an apology.
A day later, the remote stopped responding. It did indeed a new battery, and that did indeed "fix" the DVR+. But to be clear, I've never experienced that particular behavior from a remote! Every other device on this universal remote worked fine while the DVR+ was starting to act up from remote commands—and I've definitely never seen dying batteries cause a remote to turn off all power to a device as if there was a home power outage! I didn't even know a remote could power-down a device to that specific extent.

Anyway, yep, you were right, it ultimate turned out to be the remote battery, despite its uniquely strange behavior.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Every other device on this universal remote worked fine while the DVR+ was starting to act up from remote command
One of the things I've noticed is that my flat DVR+ remote will still seamlessly control my TV when the batteries start to fail. The primary symptom I see with the DVR+ is the jump forward button doesn't work every time when playing back a recording or delayed live TV. But there is also something else you should notice when the batteries start to fail: The Low Battery Indicator. It shows up on your TV when you press the Info button (and some of the other buttons). It was part of one of the later FW updates.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
How would one identify the Low Battery Indicator?
I usually see it when I press the Info button, but if I remember correctly it also shows up when some of the other buttons are pressed. It's about 30% in from the right side, and only lasts a couple of seconds.

Low Battery Indicator.jpg

And yes, that's a statue of Robert E. Lee in the picture. It was the story on the news when the picture was snapped.

·
Registered
550 Posts
They're not 'sold to TiVo' - it's TiVo who was acquired by yet another company. It's been long known that TiVo is getting out of the hardware business - using partners to make and sell hardware. Given the increasing niche market for old-school DVR's and the fact that they're all-in on their streaming stick, it wouldn't be unexpected at all for TiVo to be completely out of the retail DVR game in just a couple more years.

As Channel Master doesn't really make anything they sell (DVR-wise) - it makes sense that rather than try to find something else they can slap their name on, they would just look for the next partner from the last standing better-known retail players. For TiVo - it also makes sense for a company that wants out of the hardware game to let something that's a niche product for them be sold through Channel Master.

·
Registered
15,128 Posts
Yeah, CM is still CM. They're just distributing Tivo's cheapest DVR now. Keep in mind this is only a 2-tuner model. For the 4-tuner, you have to look elsewhere. But back in May they had the 4-tuner on sale for $249, but without lifetime service.

Since CM no longer makes or sells the DVR+, this is actually a good fit for them. They still sell the Stream+ as well. So now they have at least two DVR offerings, one of which is pretty close to the old DVR+.

If I were in the market, a better value would be a used Roamio with lifetime. Those run around $200 and have 4 tuners and can do cable as well. Even the Roamio OTA can do cable with the addition of a $20 bracket from ebay.

In any case, here's what Channel Master says about their Tivo relationship:
Why is Channel Master offering the TiVo Edge to our customers?
Channel Master is committed to offering our customers a best of class TV antenna experience and while the Stream+ is an excellent DVR option for the $99 price, some of our customers have been asking for a DVR with more advanced features. In an effort to bring a more advanced DVR to market our team spent a lot of time evaluating competitor products and only one stood out for reliability. The TiVo Edge is by far the most feature-rich OTA DVR on the market, a perfect compliment to our industry leading antennas and accessories, so instead of building one we decided to partner with them. Channel Master has arranged a special offer for our loyal customers who are looking for an OTA DVR with more features than currently available on the Stream+. If you are looking for a best of class DVR for your antenna, you won’t want to miss this exclusive one-time offer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
They're not 'sold to TiVo' - it's TiVo who was acquired by yet another company.
Glad to hear that. The paranoia hairs on the back of my neck stood up a bit when I read that CM was acquired by Tivo.
And if Tivo had the rights to DVR+, it would make sense for them to push an update under the guise of fixing some small issue, when in fact they would disable it from searching for an online guide, thus rendering PiGS useless, sending DVR+ users running to Tivo to buy their latest $600+ machine. Or rely on OTA guide only, which in my case is almost, but not fully, useless.

Not sure if it is possible to prevent the DVR+ from being rolled back via hard code update. Didn't someone mention that v135 no longer looks for updates? Is that verified?

17981 - 18000 of 18074 Posts