AVS Forum banner

18041 - 18060 of 18261 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would use different queries for the thread with different keywords like HDD/SSD/drive/etc
Really,it been discussed many times.
I tried that. Unfortunately, with the new forum software I didn't see an option to search just this thread. The narrowest option was to search the HDTV Recorders thread. So rather than spend 30 minutes trying different search term combinations I figured it would be easier just to ask. In fact, I could probably open up the DVR+ case and read the brand an model off the HDD quicker than it would take to search for it

PNY 1 TB SSD works in any USB enclosure that supports SATA 3 Gb/sec or faster drives.
When you say "USB enclosure" does that include the DVR+ itself, or are you referring to an external USB enclosure. I'm definitely curious about the possibilities of an SSD drive in the DVR+. But I don't think I would spend a lot of time and effort to experiment with it since I only have the one unit. There have been many times I regret not getting a second DVR+ so I could try these crazy ideas without the risk of missing recordings or permanently trashing my only DVR+.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I tried that. Unfortunately, with the new forum software I didn't see an option to search just this thread.
It's not intuitive, but it's there: start typing into the Search Community box at the top of the page (even just the first letter) and you'll see that you can then select Search in this discussion (meaning this thread); you just can't see that option if the search box is blank. Many people have complained about this.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's not intuitive, but it's there: start typing into the Search Community box at the top of the page (even just the first letter) and you'll see that you can then select Search in this discussion (meaning this thread); you just can't see that option if the search box is blank. Many people have complained about this.
Thanks. I was just clicking on the magnifying glass because it took me directly to Advanced Search. I did a few searches in this thread, but still came up with 400-500 search results, none of which were what I wanted in the first few pages. Wasn't aware of the complaints, but I do understand why...

·
Registered
469 Posts
When you say "USB enclosure" does that include the DVR+ itself, or are you referring to an external USB enclosure. I'm definitely curious about the possibilities of an SSD drive in the DVR+. But I don't think I would spend a lot of time and effort to experiment with it since I only have the one unit.
USB enclosure would be an external drive. The original drive in my first DVR+ was a Toshiba MQ01ABD100V 1 TB SATA II 3 Gb/s 5400 RPM drive.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
It seems that most computers come with SSD's these days
True; it's for performance reasons, though, and that isn't a factor here.
I remember we've discussed SSD drives a few years back and they were cost prohibitive.
IIRC, it wasn't so much that they were cost-prohibitive; it's just that they're more costly than spinning-platter drives but don't provide a significant benefit for a DVR.

That said, I'm pretty sure an SSD would work fine, and there are a few small benefits, such as less power consumption (although even a spinning-platter drive doesn't use much power) and no moving parts; hence, SSDs are completely quiet (although again, even a spinning-platter drive is whisper-quiet until the bearings start to wear out), and they're somewhat less likely to be damaged if accidentally dropped or struck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That said, I'm pretty sure an SSD would work fine, and there are a few small benefits, such as less power consumption (although even a spinning-platter drive doesn't use much power) and no moving parts; hence, SSDs are completely quiet (although again, even a spinning-platter drive is whisper-quiet until the bearings start to wear out), and they're somewhat less likely to be damaged if accidentally dropped or struck.
Just a FYI... I put one of these in my desktop system 6 months ago and it is a mighty fine SSD and not what I would call cost-prohibitive: Samsung 1TB SSD. Don't know whether it would work in a DVR+, either internally or in an external enclosure though.

I use the word "enclosure" loosely - one of these works perfectly fine to connect a SATA III SSD to a USB-3 or USB-2 port:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
USB enclosure would be an external drive. The original drive in my first DVR+ was a Toshiba MQ01ABD100V 1 TB SATA II 3 Gb/s 5400 RPM drive.
Thanks. My internal HDD has never been more than 35% - 40% full, but depending on price I might jump it up to the 2TB.

Ah, I hadn't considered the shock factor. I know old school HDD's are tested for things like drops. That said, the DVR+ pretty much sits perfectly still more than 99% of the time. Even though my internal HDD is still working fine, I've noticed that it seems to break the 1% capacity threshold a lot sooner than it used to, so I'm guessing some sectors have crapped out. I used to be able to get 10 hours of SD programming (generally old, B&W movies) before crossing the line, now it's down to about 7 or 8 hours. Interestingly, based on similar observations it seems that some stations HD programming is compressed more than others. The NBC affiliate here seems to be the least compresses, as even 1 or 2 hours will put it at 1% capacity.

I may get a wild hair and try the SDD drive when I get out to Fry's to check prices and availability and compare them to Amazon. Since my original HDD is still working I can always toss it back in and try to use the SDD as an external for the DVR+ or use it as a backup for my laptop.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks. My internal HDD has never been more than 35% - 40% full, but depending on price I might jump it up to the 2TB.
The PNY Amazon link has a 2 TB SSD drive listed there. It's probably one of the cheapest on Amazon. About a year-and-a-half to two years ago Amazon had a 20 pak deal on the PNY 240 GB SSDs and I snatched one up to replace all the rotating hard drives in my seven various Macs and eight PC laptops and SFF desktop machines. They have proven to be very reliable.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
I've noticed that it seems to break the 1% capacity threshold a lot sooner than it used to, so I'm guessing some sectors have crapped out.
What I've noticed is that a lot of small files accumulate on the HDD over time. The boot-up "fsck" (file system check) process won't delete these since they are actual files, not just lost sectors. If there are enough of them, they could easily eat up a substantial fraction of that first 1%.

You could use @pachinko's DVR+ Lister to explore the files on your HDD, but you'd have to take it out of the DVR+ first, of course.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You could use @pachinko's DVR+ Lister to explore the files on your HDD, but you'd have to take it out of the DVR+ first, of course.
If you use the drive for a long time and delete recordings on a regular basis, when looking at the drive with DVR+ Lister, you see all sorts of weird, short recordings that you know you never made or scheduled. I have no idea where they could be coming from. Maybe the chase recording function activated accidentally? I, for sure, don't know. But that may be an advantage to using an external drive. You don't have to disassemble the DVR+ to transfer recordings to an archive drive or server.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What I've noticed is that a lot of small files accumulate on the HDD over time. The boot-up "fsck" (file system check) process won't delete these since they are actual files, not just lost sectors. If there are enough of them, they could easily eat up a substantial fraction of that first 1%.
If you use the drive for a long time and delete recordings on a regular basis, when looking at the drive with DVR+ Lister, you see all sorts of weird, short recordings that you know you never made or scheduled. I have no idea where they could be coming from.
I always delete recordings once I've watched them, and when there are no recordings I frequently reinitialize/reformat the HDD. I would think that should eliminate all the remaining files of all types on the HDD.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm the opposite - I'm almost always running at 95% capacity or above (although oddly, my DVR+ runs fine - those reports of problems caused by disks at near-capacity don't seem to apply to mine).
But after 4 years of running the same disk and never reformatting, it's possible there's a lot of these small (and not-so-small) files clogging up my disk.
I know you can see these files using DVR+ Lister, but can you also delete them?
How do you know that a file is not needed and can be safely deleted?

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
No, but DVR+ Lister can help you identify the ones you don't want, then you can delete them with your favorite file manager. That won't free up the slot in the REI file, but it will free up the disk space.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm the opposite - I'm almost always running at 95% capacity or above (although oddly, my DVR+ runs fine - those reports of problems caused by disks at near-capacity don't seem to apply to mine).
But after 4 years of running the same disk and never reformatting, it's possible there's a lot of these small (and not-so-small) files clogging up my disk.
If you have an external drive attached to the DVR+, just unmount it and attach it to a PC with DVR+ Lister installed and copy off the recordings to another hard drive. Then you can attach, remount, and format the drive for the DVR+ and continue recording. You'll be able to view the recordings on any device that supports the file format of the recording.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
Good question. If DVR+ Lister shows you STRMxxxx.TS files containing programs you know you didn't set to record, or very short recordings (only a few minutes long), you probably have no need of them and can delete them. You can always play them with a video player on your PC, just to be positive before blowing them away.

·
Registered
388 Posts
When I look at the last time my guide was updated, after the date, there is a [204] status.

Does anyone know what that means?

Thank you in advance...
Ron

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
When I look at the last time my guide was updated, after the date, there is a [204] status.

Does anyone know what that means?

Thank you in advance...
Ron
@Timothee said this about the 204 code:
If it is 204, it means DVR+ is waiting for the server to become available. Once DVR+ starts asking at the 24 Hour mark, it keeps asking. It asks every 10 minutes when you see 204.
So from that, it sounds like either the Internet connection or the server at epg.channelmastertv.com is down....

·
Registered
388 Posts
@Timothee said this about the 204 code:
So from that, it sounds like either the Internet connection or the server at epg.channelmastertv.com is down....
Thanks for the info. I had an IP address mix up when I was configuring things. It is fixed now, and all is well again.
Ron

18041 - 18060 of 18261 Posts