AVS Forum banner

18061 - 18080 of 18282 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had an IP address mix up when I was configuring things. It is fixed now, and all is well again.
Ron
I forgot to mention that I've installed PIGS on a computer on my network, so the DVR+s are looking at that computer for the update, not the Channelmaster guide.
Ron

·
Registered
418 Posts
Odd occurrence with the DVR+. Every day or two it is "locking up". It will display whatever channel it was last tuned to, but will not respond to any commands from the remote control. The only way I can get it to function normally again is to hold down the power button on the DVR+ until it resets, or pull the power supply plug and force a reset. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Odd occurrence with the DVR+. Every day or two it is "locking up". It will display whatever channel it was last tuned to, but will not respond to any commands from the remote control. The only way I can get it to function normally again is to hold down the power button on the DVR+ until it resets, or pull the power supply plug and force a reset. Anyone else experience this?
Yep. It's always been the batteries in the flat remote for me. Took me a while to figure out because I couldn't understand why I needed to hold down the power button on the DVR+. There seems to be some kind of strange connection between the two.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Speculating: perhaps when the remote batteries are weak, the DVR+ sometimes receives a distorted command frame that, due to a firmware bug, completely locks up the task that handles the remote.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yep. It's always been the batteries in the flat remote for me. Took me a while to figure out because I couldn't understand why I needed to hold down the power button on the DVR+. There seems to be some kind of strange connection between the two.
Fresh batteries in the remote was the first thing I tried. I also moved the DVR+ out into the open and disconnected the IR extension to eliminate that as a source of flaky communication with the remote. After doing a reboot, the box seems to work fine for hours but if I leave it on and come back to it the following day, it is usually non-responsive to the remote or becomes so after a couple of button presses.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Fresh batteries in the remote was the first thing I tried. I also moved the DVR+ out into the open and disconnected the IR extension to eliminate that as a source of flaky communication with the remote. After doing a reboot, the box seems to work fine for hours but if I leave it on and come back to it the following day, it is usually non-responsive to the remote or becomes so after a couple of button presses.
Barring a hardware failure and in case the firmware somehow got corrupted, you might want to try re-installing the firmware. If this is an external hard drive model, it also might be worth ejecting that and let it run for a day or so on the 16GB internal flash drive to see if that stabilizes it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Channel Master's ever-so-helpful tips on a non-responsive, 'lagging' remote. Also, with either the 'peanut' remote or the 'thin, flat' remote, observe the power button on the remote when you press the buttons. The power light should come on when you press any button. The 'peanut' should light all the keys on the remote on a good button press as well. If the power light doesn't doesn't come on on the 'thin, flat' remote or the buttons don't light up on the 'peanut' remote, the issue is the remote and not the DVR+. The 'peanut' also has an issue with the plasticizers in the button matrix leeching out and leaving a greasy film on the carbon contacts. The remote needs to be disassembled to clean the goo off the contacts to get it working again.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have an older DVR+ 7500 1 TB that doesn't pick up as many channels as the tv itself.(Only half as many as the set itself).Is there an update to make the DVR+ pick up more stations. Thinking of getting a Tivo if this is all the DVR+ can pick up. The DVR+ that I have is 5 yrs. old and I'm the original owner.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have an older DVR+ 7500 1 TB that doesn't pick up as many channels as the tv itself.(Only half as many as the set itself).Is there an update to make the DVR+ pick up more stations.
Nope. The tuners in the DVR+ don't seem to be as good as those in TV's, or even some other DVR's. But my experience has been that if you work on overall reception you get better results. I upgraded my antenna, put it on a mast that added a few feet of height and moved it to a better location and all my reception problems (multipath and fewer channels) disappeared. Now I have no complaints. Before you spend money on another DVR you should examine the costs of both a new DVR and upgrading your antenna. If the cost difference isn't much, I'd put that money into the reception side of the equation because it will give you benefits across the board for many years into the future.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Channel Master's ever-so-helpful tips on a non-responsive, 'lagging' remote. Also, with either the 'peanut' remote or the 'thin, flat' remote, observe the power button on the remote when you press the buttons. The power light should come on when you press any button. The 'peanut' should light all the keys on the remote on a good button press as well. If the power light doesn't doesn't come on on the 'thin, flat' remote or the buttons don't light up on the 'peanut' remote, the issue is the remote and not the DVR+. The 'peanut' also has an issue with the plasticizers in the button matrix leeching out and leaving a greasy film on the carbon contacts. The remote needs to be disassembled to clean the goo off the contacts to get it working again.
I've never had the issue with a lagging remote, when this problem happens the DVR won't respond period...no matter how long you wait. Interestingly enough, I deleted a bunch of old recordings from the hard drive and have not had a problem since...it has only been a couple of days so can't say for sure yet, but still monitoring to see if the problem recurs.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Interestingly enough, I deleted a bunch of old recordings from the hard drive and have not had a problem since...it has only been a couple of days so can't say for sure yet, but still monitoring to see if the problem recurs.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! That was your problem, and is also a known issue when the external HDD gets too full.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I have an older DVR+ 7500 1 TB that doesn't pick up as many channels as the tv itself.(Only half as many as the set itself).
It's a commonly-discussed problem on this thread. And it's not just the DVR+; many other brands have similar problems to some extent.

With the DVR+, the issue is almost always multipath. Its tuners are plenty sensitive, but don't seem to do a very good job of canceling reflected signals.

I agree with @Greasemonkey; your best bet is a more directional antenna that won't pick up as many reflections. That may not be practical, though, depending on where you live.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I agree with @Greasemonkey; your best bet is a more directional antenna that won't pick up as many reflections. That may not be practical, though, depending on where you live.
My first experience with multipath came after the digital switch, though it was limited to the local ABC affiliate. It wasn't until I bought the DVR+ that I experienced it seasonally, and on many channels. After that I became a true believer in antennas, especially rooftop antennas. So for me, whether it's TV signals, ham radio, CB radio or any other RF transmission it all comes down to the initial reception at the antenna for a solid foundation to later translate those signals at the final output.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have an outdoor antenna on a mast approx. 35' up. The antenna itself is approx. 8' long. I don't think that's the problem. Has to be the DVR+.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Well... interference can come from nearby transformers, malfunctioning equipment on poles, heavy machinery in your neighborhood … bad cable, connectors, ground floating … I wouldn't be so sure !

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have an outdoor antenna on a mast approx. 35' up. The antenna itself is approx. 8' long. I don't think that's the problem. Has to be the DVR+.
If you are getting a good signal to the DVR+ I doubt that it would fall apart past the RF connector. When it comes to the signal, there are two factors that affect reception: Signal strength and signal quality. The DVR+ is especially susceptible to fluctuations in signal quality. I've had channels coming in with a signal strength of 100 and a signal quality of 40 that are rock solid. But I've also had pixelation on channels where the signal quality bounced between 80 and 100. Fortunately, the DVR+ has a screen that lets you check both at the same time. Just tune to the channel(s) you are having trouble with and click Menu/Settings/Technial Info/Signals & Network. If the signal quality is very low, or even great but bouncing around that is most likely your problem, and it isn't the DVR+. Steady SQ is the key, even if it is low. I've scanned in channels with a SS of 45 and a SQ of 5 because the latter was steady.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Admittedly, the DVR+ tuners aren't as good as the tuners in most TVs. The point we were trying to make is that the tuners are generally adequate if the incoming signal is clean.

An 8-foot antenna is probably really good at rejecting multipath, provided of course it's in good repair and properly aimed. So I'm a bit surprised at the trouble you're having. Perhaps you could ask for reception advice in the HDTV Technical forum (or your local area reception thread), as further troubleshooting would require the kinds of details best handled there.

But with respect to the DVR+ itself, the answer to your original question is no; there is no tuner upgrade for the DVR+. Personally, I'd like to see a DVR solution with separated tuners and recorder, so that tuners could be added and/or updated without having to replace the recorder section. But the only such solution I'm aware of is an HTPC.

·
Registered
905 Posts
For PiGS, you have to do certain things, and purchase an SD account (which supplies the actual data). Of course, if you're ok with PSIP guide data, that still works, especially if you use the special zip code 00000.

135R is perfectly okay, but it is recommended you block the update URL in you router.

DVR+ Lister continues to work well, but you should get version 15.7.3 if you not running it already.
Thank you! I have 15.7.3, but I see you now have a 15.7.3.1, so I downloaded that one and will try it.

What is the update URL so I can block it in my router?

I'll go with PSIP; do I have to do anything special to get it?

Thanks again!

18061 - 18080 of 18282 Posts