AVS Forum banner

18081 - 18100 of 18280 Posts

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
What is the update URL so I can block it in my router?
tr50.dishaccess.tv
I'll go with PSIP; do I have to do anything special to get it?
Just set your Zip code to 00000 (Menu / Settings / Time & Date) and/or disconnect your DVR+ from the Internet. Of course if you do the latter, there's no need to block tr50.dishaccess.tv in your router any more ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
What are people using for replacement/additional remotes these days?
TLDR: CM was selling them on eBay, not sure they still do.

Channel Master had been selling remotes for $25 ea on eBay a few months ago. As mine had a volume key that was sporadic, (later discovered to be due to weak battery) and also with the new Pigs guide insuring a few more years of DVR+ usability, I ordered two of the original thin ones, as I didn't want the wife to have to learn the new peanut ones.

I paid, and they were sent, via Slow Boat to China Shipping Company. (but free) Tracking showed them going to several cities, then Chandler, AZ, instead of my address. Then it said they were delivered to AZ, about two weeks later. When I inquired as to what happened and where were my remotes, they said "sorry, out of stock." I was not happy and read them the riot act and generally became a pain in the a$$ to them.

About a week or two later, they "found" a couple and sent them out. They sent the peanut ones. Not happy at first, but they are better than the thin ones, which always seemed to have battery issues. The contacts for the batteries on those was a very poor design, and I suspect they cause some of the weak signals and response some of us have experienced.

So, reasonably happy with the peanut remotes. Odd thing though, somehow the fact that I purchased them thru eBay disappeared, so I was unable to leave an honest review. I have had this happen a few times, and suspect ebay does this so as not to show poor reviews, thus lowering sales and their revenue.

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
What are people using for replacement/additional remotes these days?
Any Harmony or these 100 or so JP1 remotes will work with the following upgrade:

An old Dish remote is also quite popular for reasons I can't begin to fathom. It doesn't even have the DVR+ codes built in, so you have to learn them in a very complicated way. And the remote itself is gigantic and clunky. It's hard to imagine a worse remote.

If your old remote is still functional, then you can of course use any learning remote as well.

Keep in mind the new CM DVR+ remote has a JP1 connector and can be programmed from a PC/Mac/Linux to control any device.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
An old Dish remote is also quite popular for reasons I can't begin to fathom. It doesn't even have the DVR+ codes built in, so you have to learn them in a very complicated way. And the remote itself is gigantic and clunky. It's hard to imagine a worse remote.

If your old remote is still functional, then you can of course use any learning remote as well.
Representing the opposing point of view :) Here is a picture of the Dish 20.1 IR remote. It fits my hand just right and has almost all the necessary buttons with meaningful text labels (for my wife) and with good button placement for my right hand. It is virtually identical to the DTVPal DVR remote. You be the judge. Alas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you get one of these, you probably want to get the 4-battery OEM model, not the 2-battery knock-off (though I can't say that the 2-battery model wouldn't work). Yes, it requires learning from an existing remote and the process is annoying but not impossible.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
They sent the peanut ones. Not happy at first, but they are better than the thin ones, which always seemed to have battery issues. The contacts for the batteries on those was a very poor design, and I suspect they cause some of the weak signals and response some of us have experienced.
I prefer the thin remote for functionality (particularly the ability to set alternate remote addresses) but have to agree about the battery issues. The CR2032 batteries it uses don't work with my remote extender, which requires AAA or AA size batteries, and you can't get rechargeable CR2032s. It's also too hard to remove the flat remote's battery cover. (OTOH some have reported the back-lighting on the peanut remotes drains its AAA batteries too quickly.)
An old Dish remote is also quite popular for reasons I can't begin to fathom.
My personal reason, I believe, is fathomable: I have Dish devices, which of course are built into the Dish 20.1 remote. I set the SAT button to the address of my Dish satellite receiver and the Aux button to the address of my DTVPal. After setting the 20.1 up for the TV, the DVR+ codes get taught to the only button left (DVD).

Other remotes support Dish devices too, but usually only remote address 1, which isn't very useful if you have more than one Dish device.

If you don't have Dish devices, the 20.1 remote is OK - it has a nice feel, and its multiple LEDs produce a nice broad beam that doesn't require pinpoint aiming - but the process of teaching the codes to the remote requires nerves of steel and a programming plan before you start, and you should nonetheless expect to go through the entire process a few times before you get it right. Other learning remotes (e.g., Sony) are just as good and easier to program.

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
This is my idea of a good remote. Compared to Dish, learning is dirt simple, it's backlit, it can be programmed graphically from a PC/Mac/Linux to control anything, nice and compact, great ergos (volume buttons are tiny and way up at the top, for example). Also works fine with Dish (IR only). I totally get the remote you already have is better than going out and buying another. But looking at this objectively without regard to what you already have, the Dish remote isn't really a great fit.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
It's not bad. It has separate channel +/- and cursor up/down keys, which matches the DVR+ remote. The Sony learning remote I touted is quite similar.

The Dish 20.1, in contrast, combines those key pairs in favor of separate page up/down keys, which requires some getting used to for DVR+ users. (The Dish 20.1 would better match an mStar-box remote, such as the HomeWorX or iView boxes, which also combine channel +/- with cursor up/down; but this is a DVR+ thread....)

I've never cared for how back-lighting works on remote controls. You have to press a key to get the back-light to turn on, which may do something you didn't intend, so you have to undo that, then find the key you wanted to press in the first place, all the while hoping the back-light doesn't turn off before you spot the desired keys....

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is my idea of a good remote. Compared to Dish, learning is dirt simple, it's backlit, it can be programmed graphically from a PC/Mac/Linux to control anything, nice and compact, great ergos (volume buttons are tiny and way up at the top, for example). Also works fine with Dish (IR only). I totally get the remote you already have is better than going out and buying another. But looking at this objectively without regard to what you already have, the Dish remote isn't really a great fit.
That's the Ineset 422-3 Universal Remote. There is a programming code available for the DVR+ 'peanut' remote from the manufacturer. The 'peanut' is actually a UEI Fusion remote without the 'QWERTY' keyboard on the back and two keys, the '.' and the 'Audio CC' on the front. If you pop apart the 'peanut' you can see the manufacturer info on the board as-well-as the contact matrix for the 'QWERTY' keyboard (You are looking at the 'peanut' below from the back side with the back housing removed).

There was some speculation deep in the past on this thread that there was a 'button' on the side of the 'peanut'—its location is the cutout in the housing on the top of the image above—which is actually the window for the IR LEDs for the 'QWERTY' keyboard. The LEDs would have been attached at positions IR3 and IR4 on the circuit board. If you need to take the 'peanut' apart, this palette knife from Dick Blick is the perfect tool to get the job done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's the Ineset 422-3 Universal Remote. There is a programming code available for the DVR+ 'peanut' remote from the manufacturer. The 'peanut' is actually a UEI Fusion remote without the 'QWERTY' keyboard on the back and two keys, the '.' and the 'Audio CC' on the front. If you pop apart the 'peanut' you can see the manufacturer info on the board as-well-as the contact matrix for the 'QWERTY' keyboard (You are looking at the 'peanut' below from the back side with the back housing removed).

View attachment 3041123

There was some speculation deep in the past on this thread that there was a 'button' on the side of the 'peanut'—its location is the cutout in the housing on the top of the image above—which is actually the window for the IR LEDs for the 'QWERTY' keyboard. The LEDs would have been attached at positions IR3 and IR4 on the circuit board. If you need to take the 'peanut' apart, this palette knife from Dick Blick is the perfect tool to get the job done.
I need some really basic information as I am not the techie type. I have the Channel Master 7500 with the peanut remote. The "select" and "up" buttons are almost impossible to operate. Obviously there is a lot of discussion about alternative remotes here and I have read back 20 pages.

1. How do you open the back of the peanut? Just pry it apart? My husband is a shop teacher, lots of tools and the kind of guy who has been taking apart/ repairing mechanical things forever, and said he is afraid of breaking it if he tries. He's more of a mechanical guy than an electronics guy (not his generation!) Can someone describe the process? I see there is some info about the contacts getting gummed up, and that was our first thought. But we are worried about taking apart the peanut, breaking it, and having no alternative to operate the Channel Master.
2. I've looked at the Ineset 422-3 Universal Remote and the reviews are not glowing for Channel Master. A few people have said that the code didn't work and the were not able to program it. I only need it for the Channel Master. Maybe they didn't try hard enough. I have also looked at the Logitec Harmony remotes but they seem pretty pricey. I guess I would like to know which universal remote REALLY works with the Channel Master 7500.

Any help is greatly appreciated. So frustrating to find that the manufacturer is no longer supporting the product. For the most part we like the Channel Master and are trying to hold on to our cord cutting progress, hoping that something besides TIVO will come along before we need to purchase another DVR. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
2. I've looked at the Ineset 422-3 Universal Remote and the reviews are not glowing for Channel Master. A few people have said that the code didn't work and the were not able to program it. I only need it for the Channel Master. Maybe they didn't try hard enough.
I've never analyzed the built in code, so I have no idea how well it works. I'd say if it works for some and not others, then the fault lies with the user. In any case, this one is an EXACT match of the original. It even has the special codes for switching addresses. But you do have to buy a JP1 cable to load it. I assume the Logitech codes are also fine. If not, just email them the pronto hex I've posted in this thread and they will add it to your remote.

Of course if you go with a learning remote like Dish, you have to learn from the original remote anyway. The Inteset can learn as well as any other universal, also resulting in an exact match.

@sam_adams, That's interesting about the peanut. I also cracked mine open years ago when developing the RDF for Remote Master and was wondering about that blank on the side. An IR window for the qwerty makes perfect sense. Since UEI makes both the original Channel Master remote and the Inteset, I would expect 04465 to be a perfect match. It's just a matter of programming it correctly. It's easy to mess up if you don't get the timing right.

Some may find this thread about reverse engineering the peanut interesting. Internally, it's the weirdest JP1 remote I've ever seen. It has a massive number of phantom buttons (slots in memory for buttons that don't physically exist). The fact that it's actually a full qwerty remote internally finally explains this oddity. While it's an interesting specimen, it's really a terrible JP1 remote, which is why I quickly sold mine after dissecting it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have also looked at the Logitec Harmony remotes but they seem pretty pricey. I guess I would like to know which universal remote REALLY works with the Channel Master 7500.
I can report that the Logitech 350 works just fine and is easy to setup with the Logitech software.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You may want to go into the DVR+ settings menu for TV and Audio Setup/Display Setup/Resolution and select a fixed resolution appropriate for your TV instead of Best Available, which requires a negotiation. This may or may not apply to @Kensmith48 too.
Ken... Thanks for the recommendation. It may not have stopped the issue completely, but it's happening a lot less frequently.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Working for many years with remotes and plastic enclosures, I would warn - you shouldn't use metal spatula/knife/etc !
Only specialized PLASTIC tool, see such are selling for smartphone repairs.
A paintbrush in the hand of an artist is a tool that creates beauty. The same paintbrush in the hand of a monkey is just a stick with hair on it. Don't be the monkey.

·
Registered
476 Posts
2. I've looked at the Ineset 422-3 Universal Remote and the reviews are not glowing for Channel Master. A few people have said that the code didn't work and the were not able to program it. I only need it for the Channel Master. Maybe they didn't try hard enough. I have also looked at the Logitec Harmony remotes but they seem pretty pricey. I guess I would like to know which universal remote REALLY works with the Channel Master 7500.
There are two codes for the Ineset 422-3 Universal Remote for the DVR+:

and

IIRC, users have reported better success with the second code.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just analyzed both. 04465 is the best match as far as I can tell.

Keep in mind that on the Inteset you can also add any commands that may be missing using individual function codes, no cable or software required.
Just for the record, what were the differences?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
A paintbrush in the hand of an artist is a tool that creates beauty. The same paintbrush in the hand of a monkey is just a stick with hair on it. Don't be the monkey.
I've seen many similar "reasons" from regular people, who did try to bring down professional advises... but results was awful. Sorry. Experience and knowledge always take over a primitive approach.
I would take the phase as a point siding my advise.
Exactly ! Use paintbrush for create artistic things. Not a butter knife. :)

I can't imagine someone would go further and propose use metal tool for opening smartphone o_O

18081 - 18100 of 18280 Posts