AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this dish? It is it worth the extra money?

Here are the details:

65 percent more gain than standard Phase III dish

Attacks rain fade

Perfect for high-end Home Theather / HDTV or commercial applications

Antenna dimensions: 35.3 inch x 26.2 inch, not including rim

Heavy duty 2 inch mast wall mount

Shipping Weight: 25 lbs.

75cm Elliptical Antenna System

CM Part #610029301

Does Not include LNB's, Switch, or Cables

Setup for DBS Reception of 101°- 110°- 119°

Includes Elevation Fine Tune Adjustment

Heavy Duty 2 inch Mast Wall Mount

Antenna Dimensions: 35.3" x 26.2", Not Including Rim

Typical Gain-Off-Set LNB's

Gain-Master 35.9dBi

Std. Multibeam 33.8dBi

Wind Loading: 50mph Operational, 100mph Survivable

Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I spoke with Channel Master today about this dish. They recently began shipping the Gain Master and it should be available through certain retailers now or shortly. You can contact Metron at 865-523-6700 and ask them for a local dealer selling the Gain Master.

Now, on to my thoughts......

Yes, this antenna should provide some additional buffer when the signal is degraded due to moisture such as cloud cover or rain. It will NOT resolve/eliminate the rain fade issue altogether. Its simply not possible in the Ku band with current technology. The 65% additional gain number might be misleading. I'm not saying its a lie, just wondering how they took their measurements........Marketing departments have a way of doing special calculations......

If you live in the rain belt where thunderstorms are common, especially in the summertime, yes this dish can prove to be helpful. Note, that Channel Master is coming out with their own Phase 3 LNB array and will likely upgrade the gain master to house this new array with built-in multiswitch. The current model requires three LNB's and a multiswitch if you are planning a sat A, B, C install for HDTV or Spanish programming.

I like you are lookign forward to someone installing one and giving it a real world side by side test with a conventional phase 3.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HD_JUNKIE
The 65% additional gain number might be misleading. I'm not saying its a lie, just wondering how they took their measurements........Marketing departments have a way of doing special calculations......
There are a number of ways for marketing departments to develop misleading measurements of broadcast antenna performance but very few for satellite antenna performance.

The common way to mislead when rating satellite performance is to post a figure for gain at the highest frequency of the reception band. In this case, however, the additional gain is readily calculable based on the reflector size and likely efficiency. I have no reason to doubt that a reflector of that size will have 65% more gain than the smaller, industry standard model.

A DBSForums thread in which rain fade is discussed can be found HERE and an excellent article on the subject, Rain Degradation: Its Implications For Satellite Communication, was published in the Feb 01, 2003 edition of Via Satellite , but you have to "subscribe" to have access to it (subscription is free).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.