AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been using this dish for a few months now. It is much better then the smaller oval dish, but here in south Fl. still get rain fade in our downpours. Just not as bad or as long as before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you get your dish, and how much did it cost?

I'm also concerned that it's too big. Is it that noticeably big?

Are you able to get 100s on all 3 LNBs?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since you are in Tampa, I suspect you're looking to buy the Gainmaster to resolve the well known rain fade issue. Well, it won't resolve it but it will help (albeit moderately). Its tough to measure just how much better it will address rainfade. I installed one so far and compared it to a neighbors phase 3 and found that 75%+ of the time both were out and both came back within seconds of each other. I can see the Gainmaster being more useful in locations in the US where signal strength is weak to begin with. Those locations experience rain fade even in light rains and I suspect the Gainmaster will help these uers.

Regarding signal strength, most transponders are 3-6 points higher after upgrading to the Gainmaster (checking on an RCA DTC100). A handful of transponders are the same or lower but not by much. After hours of tweaking I have this setup as good as its going to get!

Tip, if you buy this dish, get the Channel Master LNB package. You might find your old LNB's won't fit the neck hold down bracket used on the Gainmaster. Also mount the dish to a solid surface and do a good job of mounting solid. Wind will blow this baby away if you don't secure it properly. Channel Master provides a very adequate bracket that should withstand a tropical storm, but in a hurricane, see ya!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I know that this is going to sound like a sales pitch, but the responces that we are getting from our customers is a bit different. The results seem to be better than the results HD_Junkie is getting. Out of the hundreds of GainMaster Dishes we have sold, only a couple came back. The ones that came back were do to installation issues, not performance. The feedback we have received (maybe 20-25% of the users) have been very possitive. Some with tremedous results (I realize some of those results may be due to better alignment). If the signal is blocked (due to rain or trees) the GainMaster dish is not a solution. However, is low signal during Rain is an issue, the GainMaster has its value.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Satellite dishes..

My set up are 3 round 24" dishes; each one aimed at one satellite. To me, any shape but round is somewhat of a compromise. I do not lose a signal in a rainstorm. In a really violent storm, all equipment should be disconnected from the AC outlet. My signal strengths are 92-100 with a Mit. HD setup box. Happy viewing.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Recently we sold 3- 3 foot dishes to a guy in Seattle. He really wanted to fight rain fade. He reported back that he had 100% on all three birds. Out of the three major storms in the last few weeks, he went down for only a few minutes on one storm. He emailed me a picture of his set up. I can't find the picture to post, but my wife would shoot me if I did that!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
We have not hit our rain season yet, but it is approaching (30-50 inches a year average). We thankfully do not have the hurricanes of S Florida but our location is pretty much unimpeded offshore winds which can burst to 30-50MPH in the storm season.

I upgraded to a GM from the original RCA triple oval LNBF antenna in an effort to minimize rain fade.

Overall my signals are pretty much in line with others - low-mid 90s on the better transponders and upper 70s to low 80s on the feeble ones. On the older dish I was in the 70s on the better ones and the 50-60s on the weak ones. We live in the shroud of a constant Marine Layer which no doubt reduces the signal even on a clear day.

I agree with those who have had success with three discreet antenna, each tweaked. You can NAIL a round antenna with the right alignment metering gear. You must compromise with a triple. I mucked with the GM and a professional dual LNBF meter for weeks and finally settled with what I am receiving now.

The GM is a beast to install and frankly, I would consider alternatives in VERY high wind locations without adding additional bracing. I would propose a second bracket of the same type provided with the antenna, could be used to significantly increase strength. It is simple physics and their own collateral says something like "usable to 50MPH and sustainable to 100MPH." The thing would be GONE at 100MPH and it would rip out a chunk of your wall.

If you have the room do three round ones, otherwise this is the triple to own.

You will always have rain fade but you can reduce it to a very tolerable level.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm not bashing the GM at all. The reality I've found in Florida is that most rain storms that will kill the D* signal are significant enough to have an effect on most dish types, even individual 3'. During the last hard rain (today) I had a 0 signal on all transponders on the phase 3 and so did the GM install. The GM signal came back less than 1 minute before the phase 3 dish. All in all the Phase 3 was out for about 8 minutes while the GM was out about 7+ minutes.

Sure there are some borderline rainstorms that would be enough to kill the phase 3 signal and not the GM signal, but I find those rains to be less frequent. Here its usually a downpour or next to nothing.

Secondly, I am building a residential project right now and have 2 companies providing estimates to install a D* MDU type system. Both propose individual 3' dishes and both have huge disclaimers in their paperwork about rainfade. I called references on both lists and confirmed with actual customers using 3' dishes that they get rainfade in many rainstorms.

So, the moral of the story is that the GM will improve rain fade problems but most users should not expect miracles. I would suspect in many cases where Florida based customers claim huge rain fade improvements that they really had an issue with their previous dish install. Even my conversation with a ChannelMaster employee seems to indicate that they feel the most confidence improving a signal for those in areas of the US where its hard to get a signal in the 80's or 90's with a standard dish. These users who suffer with signals in the 60s and 70s should see a more noticable improvement with the GM.

E]Originally posted by SolidSignal
I know that this is going to sound like a sales pitch, but the responces that we are getting from our customers is a bit different. The results seem to be better than the results HD_Junkie is getting. Out of the hundreds of GainMaster Dishes we have sold, only a couple came back. The ones that came back were do to installation issues, not performance. The feedback we have received (maybe 20-25% of the users) have been very possitive. Some with tremedous results (I realize some of those results may be due to better alignment). If the signal is blocked (due to rain or trees) the GainMaster dish is not a solution. However, is low signal during Rain is an issue, the GainMaster has its value. [/quote]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.