AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to improve my OTA HDTV reception and it appears that the Channel Master Antennas' (probably CM4248 for me), is the preferred choice. I currently have a RS Double Bowtie in my attic which picks up many but not all of the LA Stations (Mt Wilson), especially since I attached a Scientific Atlanta 562775F Multimedia Drop Amp (5-40/51-1000MHZ)(+15db) to it. The amp was purchased from Cox Cable so don't really know how good it is, but it helps.

Anyway, I was trying to find out if there are any local retailers in Los Angeles (preferably the South Bay area) which sell the Channel Master line? Also wondering if the CM4248 is ok for an attic install? And is it easy to setup?

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a CM dealer in Northridge. Pace Electronics; 20850 Dearborn (DeSoto and Nordhoff) 818 734 6622

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read in other threads that some people indicated that Fry's and Lowes carry CM Antennas, but I tried the Frys in Manhattan Beach and the Lowes in Torrance with no luck. Lowes used to carry CM but now only carries GE.

I guess I'll have to give Pace a try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Lowes back again and told them I knew someone who was able to special order a CM Antenna though one of their stores. I was called back and told that yes they can do a special order. I gave them the model numbers (4248,4228,7775,7777) and they said they would call me back with prices. I haven't heard back yet.

dougmurray, just curious why you went with the 4228. Did you look into the 4248? What did Warren Electronics charge you w/ shipping?

·
Registered
251 Posts
.. and how is your reception with it there in Azusa? I'm a couple miles away in temple city and considering one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rick M

I decided on the 4228 because it has slightly more gain and a little better multipath rejection than the 4248. Since I am right up against the foothills I need both. Where you are may have a much better line of sight. I was going to order a CM 7777 preamp with it but they won't have any in stock untill next Thursday so I will try the antenna by itself first.

Warren charged $47.51 + 15 shipping. This must be shipped FedX ground because of its shipping dimensions.

Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bytre

I haven't received my 4228 yet. On my old combo UHF/VHF antenna I get HDTV ABC fairly good, HDTV FOX just borderline, and digital KCET good (KCET by the way doesn't broadcast Hi Def but it does broadcast 3 different programs ie KCET-A, KCET-B, KCET-C). I cannot receive CBS, NBC or KTLA.

Temple City has a good line of sight to MT Wilson so you should get better reception than I do right up against the foothills.

Doug

·
Registered
251 Posts
Try KCET again. For some reason they didn't do any HD (that I saw) last month, but its back on again this month, and is some of the most stunning HD footage I've seen since KTLA did the Rose Parade. Unfortnuately its mostly canned stuff and demos, but its great to show off your set. When they aren't doing HD, they do 3 or 4 SD channels (including PBS Kids, PBS U, standard KCET, and sometimes a PBS biography or something like that).

I get almost all the channels - kcbs, knbc, kcet, kabc, ktla, kttv, kcal (never seen any HD on it though), kwhy (2 SD channels - one is frequently a test pattern though). I've never been able to pick up KCAL.

My signal strength is under 50 for some of them though (Dish 6k), so I'm interested in a better antenna.

·
Registered
780 Posts
KCET-DT has stopped multicasting indefinitely, and cut their broadcast hours to 3-11pm due to the power crisis. During those hours, they will carry all HD and Widescreen SD that PBS delivers both at their East and West coast times, and the HD demo loop at all other times.

KCAL-DT only broadcasts in the evenings from 8-11, or during Laker games. They usually carry a 1080i upconvert on 43.1, and a 480i version on 43.2 but no HD.

Tony

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry, I misspoke (mistyped). I have seen KCAL (never any HD on it though), but it took a while before I hit it during its 3 hour window. It is KCOP that is supposedly on air that I've never been able to receive.

Not that I care a whole lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lowes came back with pricing a bit higher than Warren, but they don't charge any shipping. So it works out about the same. Unfortunately, Lowes said it will take about a month to get the order and that they will not take returns on special orders. Also they can only order 2 CM 4228 at a time, so I would need to purchase 2.

Well now I'm still trying to figure out if I should go with a CM 4248 or 4228. I am at 1100 feet about 35 miles from Mt Wilson, but the PV hill goes up to 1200 between me and Mt Wilson. I am not really sure if Multipath is a issue. Also since I would like to put the antenna in the attic should that influence my decision? Lastly any thoughts on which pre-amp the CM 7777 or 7775?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Doug

On one of your last posts, you said you ordered a 4228 from warren electronics "yesterday", which was posted on the 5th, so you must have ordered it on the 4th. I ordered mine on the 2nd and still have not recieved it yet, has yours came in?

When I ordered it, he said they were out of stock and would have some in by the 5th and would ship them then, and it would take 1 week to get to me. Well over 2 weeks later and no antenna, so I gave them a call a few days ago, and he said would ship on the 18th. I'm crossing my fingers now, but I'm loosing faith in them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joel

You got the dates pretty darn close!

I ordered a 4228 and a 7775 on 4/3. The salesman said the preamp was out of stock untill the following week. I said to forget the preamp and ship the antenna as at least I would be able to install it the following weekend. The salesman said my antenna would ship 4/5.

On 4/13 I sent an email asking when my antenna shipped. The reply was that it hadn't shipped and they were expecting a channellmaster shipment shortly and he would email me when it shipped.

Still no antenna or email saying it had shipped but I had a message on my answering machine tonight saying to call Warren Electronics regarding the preamp (which I thought was cancelled)

Not very happy with Warren

Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
RickM,

I special ordered a CM 4251 from Lowe's (San Diego) about 2 months ago. Once they actually got the order to the CM Rep, it took only a week to get the antenna. There was no mention that they had to order two. The cost was about $110 plus tax. From what I could tell from watching them enter the order in the computer, their cost was actually about $75. They also did not say anything about not being able to return it. I might not have been able if I tried, but there was no mention of it.

Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom,

I believe the 4228 come 2 to a box from CM while the 4251 and 4248 come 1 to a box and that's why Lowes said I would need to take 2 4228's.

I called Pace Electronics in Northridge area but they indicated they are a distributor and only sell to businesses. They gave me a contact in El Segundo, but the price was about 50% higher that Warren so I think I'm gonna give Warren a shot for the 4228. I wonder if Joel and Doug received their orders yet from Warren?

I tried the Radio Shack 15-2160 and 15-2162 (a 4248 clone), but they did not appear to perform much better than the little RS Double-Bow (15-623). So I'm thinking I may be hitting a multipath issue which I've heard the multibay/bowties (4228) are best for.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rick:

Some news finally!!

3 weeks after I was originally told the antenna (4228) would ship, I checked my credit card account and my charge was on there yesterday. So hopefully it shiped yesterday, and they said once it shipped it should take about a week for me to get it.

Wish me luck though! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Joel,

Can you provide me the exact dimensions of the 4228? The CM chart only shows Length 6.5" and Width 36.5". Missing height. Want to make sure it will fit in the attic.

By the way I tried out the CM 3010 Stealth and could not lock in any channels at all. Just wanted to give a U/V antenna a try. I'll stick with the UHF onlys.

[This message has been edited by RickM (edited 04-26-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.