AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a direct cable connection to the ANT input with channel numbers 2-74 and channel numbers 175-179 assigned to the IN1 input that comes from my cable box in order to pick up scrambled premium cable programs.

All of a sudden last night between 8pm and 11pm EDT my channel numbers assigned to the two inputs flipped. So now I have 102-174 and 75-79! The system did not reboot or a Net Connect during this time. I'm not sure why it flipped the channel numbers assigned to each input but no matter what I tried I couldn't get them flipped back.

I tried reassigning the inputs one at a time using ANT input first then IN1 or IN1 first and then ANT but it didn't matter. The system insisted upon making IN1 input on channels xx and ANT input channel numbers 1xx.

What gives and what could have caused this to suddenly happen? Any ideas?

Jesse

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not sure what could have caused, but you can probably fix it by clearing your channel guide twice and forcing a connection.

Press 243 + ReplayZones and choose #2 - clear channel guide.

Then go back to 243 + zones, and choose #7 - Net connect.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nudelman
What zipcode and what cable system are you using? Do you have satellite too?

--Mark
Mark is one of your best shots at getting your problems fixed...don't be afraid to give him your info, he's much more than some random AVS member.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
Mark is one of your best shots at getting your problems fixed...don't be afraid to give him your info, he's much more than some random AVS member.
If you prefer, email me at [email protected]

--Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and response! I must say I was impressed to get both Mark and ReplayLyndon's input in this forum. As well as lizard_boy's vote of confidence in Mark's ability.

Clearing the Channel Guide unfortunately did not work. I even tried eliminating one input and then clearing the channel guide and adding the second input later.

I assumed the ReplyTV would assign channel numbers as you added new inputs. That is what seemed to happen when I first configured the unit but it appears something else determines the channel ordering. For instance, if you had one cable input the channel numbers would be 0-99, the next input you defined would get 100-199, etc. This does not appear to be the case and I'm not sure what determines which block of channel numbers are assigned to each input.

Here are my details (zip code = 20191):

ANT/CATV is assigned to "Cable Connection using built-in tuner, Reston - Comcast (Cable-ready-TV)"

IN 1 is assigned to "Cable box using IR-Blaster code 0008 Reston - Comcast"

IN 2 is assigned to "Other Device on S-Video" for what that is worth

ANT/CATV used to have channel numbers in the 00-99 block. I used channels 2-74 and I excluded the premium channels 75-83.

IN 1 used to have channel numbers in the 100-199 block. I used channels 175-178 and excluded all the other 1xx channels.

What this allowed me to do was receive the majority of my stations using the ReplyTV tuner directly which was cleaner and locked in on the station quicker than going through the cable box. I only used the cable box in order to descramble the premium stations. The stations I use most are all just 2 digit channels numbers.

Since last night the channel numbers are suddenly reversed. ANT/CATV has 102-174 and IN 1 has 75-78. It is as if the system sort before assigning channels numbers changed and now sorts "Reston - Comcast" ahead of "Reston - Comcast (Cable-ready-TV)" and ignores the order in which they were configured.

In other words I would have expected the system to "stack" additional inputs in the next channel block as they were defined instead of reassigning everything. Of course, that doesn't explain why all of a sudden it decided to reassign the channel number differently which is truly puzzling.

Note that it was necessary to choose a different cable description for the two inputs in order to get the ReplayTV unit to assign any channels in the 100 block in the first place. In my case "Reston - Comcast (Cable-ready-TV)" and "Reston - Comcast" which have the same lineup except a couple of channels I don't use was enough to force getting channels assigned into the 100 block. If you use the same description the channels are match/merged into the same assignments and you don't get anything in the 1xx block.

After some thought and carefully comparing the channel lineups for the two cable descriptions to make sure they were EXACTLY the same for the channels I needed I flipped the descriptions on the inputs to:

ANT/CATV is assigned to "Cable Connection using built-in tuner, Reston - Comcast"

IN 1 is assigned to "Cable box using IR-Blaster code 0008 Reston - Comcast (Cable-ready-TV)"

And now the channel assignments are how I had them before last night's event. ANT/CATV using 02-74 and IN 1 using 175-178. The only risk is if Comcast changes the channel definitions between these two descriptions as I have them defined "backwards" as far as the descriptions go now in order to get the major of my stations in the 00-99 block.

So I have a workaround but would still like hear any insights or comments you might have on this.

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
90 Posts
The order of the lineups in your guide has nothing to do with the order in which you selected them. Lineups are assigned to channel numbers in an attempt to put the "largest" lineup in the spot where most of its channel numbers will appear in their natural slot -- that is, if the tuning channel number is 35, it will appear as channel 35 in the guide. The "smaller" lineup(s) will be assigned new channel numbers if any of them conflict with channel numbers from other lineups. This is a little hard to describe precisely, but the important thing is all of the channels in all lineups should be available somewhere in the guide, even if they're not at the channel number you might have expected. Jesse, I don't completely understand what you're seeing in your guide; could you email me so I can discuss this with you? It's probably not of interest to the rest of the forum. Email me at [email protected] .

--Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.