AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently recieved a refurbished HK AVR-225 from their authorized Ebay store.

Upon setting it up, i began to use their EZSet SPL callibration tool, but the levels did not seem right... I havent gotten a radio shack analog SPL meter (though i will today), but without doubt to fix the levels, I had to place the right channel up +5 db just for it to sound normal (and my gf confirmed the level). I re-ran the EZSet callibration and it did not reduce the levels!

a 5 db difference from the left to right speakers does NOT seem right -- is there something wrong with my reciever? I checked the cables, and even switched the left and right channels (moved left spkr+wire to right binding posts)-- same results. Infact, i just bought new cables (from Monster XP to 12ga Sound King) and nothing has changed.

It has nothing to do w/ the speakers or the cable, as the left speaker will give me the same result if i hook it up to the right binding post.

My speakers are B&W DM602 S3s / LCR60 / DM601 S3s

Thank You.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just went through this on my 7200 and in my case it was a very simple fix. Check the balance knob and make sure it is centered. I know this seems like duh! but that is what was wrong in my case and I was having the same thing as you.

Brian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh my god -- i havent checked it (im at work), but i bet you're right -- i havent even touched the front yet because ive been having fun with my first OSD (coming frmo a bad Sony).

i am a fool... thank you, you made my day.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Unless your room is perfectly square there is a good chance that any one of the front or rear speakers will require a few extra decibels, although +5 seems a lot. Also, be sure when you do the sound level setup that no objects are blocking the sound path to the mic or SPL meter, and that includes your body. The SPL meter will be a big help - the auto setup does not always work as it should, from my experience, but I do have a problem room.

Dsmith

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian was right.

it was my balance -- now i successfully feel like an idiot.

thanks for the rplies, sorry for wasting time

·
Registered
21 Posts
KingKong,

It wasn't a waste of time because you got it fixed. When I did it someone else here helped me. At the time I said to put it in the "Please don't tell my wife because I'll never here the end of it" category.

BTW a SPL meter is really the only way to go with these things. EZset on my unit left a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realized how lacking the EZSet feature was when i was easily able to tell the difference in volumes when the control unit wouldnt (id bump a channel 5 db up, and ezset wouldnt touch it).

I think that's a feature they need to remove, or quit touting because unless the new models (mine was an AVR225) have an upgraded setup, its a waste of a listed feature. The EZSet remote was actually a minor factor in me going with the Harman Kardon line.

..at any rate, thanks for the help Brian

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just about sent my 7200 back when I realized that it was the balance knob. They are so small and don't have clear visual cues as to where they are set.

DG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.