AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a Hughes E86 HDTV receiver installed on Tuesday and when the installers did the scan, NBC-DT came up under the local channels through my rooftop antenna. I tried to do another scan for CBS/WBBM-DT and it looks like I lost NBC-DT on the channel list(can't quite tell because it finds 3 NBC's (one through cable hook-up and two, analog and digital, through the antenna). Also, after the second scan, none of the 3-NBC channels is listed as NBC-DT, it just has two NBC's with logos and the other is analog, so I can't tell which is NBC-DT. I also tried to change the way the Hughes labels the channels(switched from LOGO to NAME/NUMBER), which seemed logical, before the second scan but the labels stayed the same on my third channel scan.

HELP!!!!!!

By the way after the original scan the the channel labels for NBC (5)were logical (i.e. Local(ANT) analog(1) and digital(2) and Cable(CBL) analog(3)). It's funny because WLS had a similar setup although they had one additional digital channel that was dead(7-0), but, after all of the scans WLS's (7)channel labels stayed the same.

I have a rooftop antenna, an eliptical dish and analog cable hooked up to the receiver(2 connection are through a RS diplexor ($20 unit)). The cable channels all look horrible (much worse then before the receiver). I am now concerned that I won't get NBC-DT back for the antenna.

In summary, could some one suggest the best way to hook up the three connections through the diplexer (i.e. which to combine w/SAT, (CBL or ANT))? Also, what is the best way to scan for new channels without changing the set-up of the current line-up of channels. It seems that there are a few different types of channel scans and I am using them incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for you help.

SW

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have the Mitsubishi box and have had strange results with channel scans as well so I don't really have any suggestions there.

I did, however, lost NBC-DT at one time when doing a re-scan. Try punching in 5-1 or 29-1 with the remote which should add it back to the channel list. This worked for me and seemed to work for someone else with the Toshiba box.

-Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig,

I did try 5-1 (nothing) I will try 29-1 tonight.

Does anyone have suggestion wrt the diplexer setup?

Thanks again.

SW

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 2 cents.. I was told by my installer DO NOT diplex SAT with ANT. Diplex ANT with CATV. The 199 bird signal is already weak. If you diplex it, it will become weaker.. Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unplug the receiver and start over.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a guoted description about the specs of the E86, as found on www.directv-systems.com/prodinfo/hdtv.htm. "Satellitte Input with diplexed RF Antenna input". I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I would interpret that as meaning if you diplex anything, it should probably your local antenna and the dish. On the other hand, does that imply that there is already a built-in diplexer between the "Sat In" connection and the "Ant In" connection? If so, perhaps your $20 diplexer was not even needed. The Hughes tech support line is 1-706-220-4900. They have been pretty helpful answering my questions about the E86 (and I haven't even bought it yet!). I'm doing a lot of research before I decide on a brand/model. One other thing to consider when scanning your local HD channels. If your local HD network braodcast sites are not in the same line of sight direction, then you simply cannot scan them all at once, as your antenna simply cannot "see" all of them at once. From what I understand, you must scan one and store it, re-point your antenna at the next one, scan it and "add" it, and so on until you capture them all. Now, that will suffice for adding them to the guide, but won't help in actually receiving the signals, once you point the antenna in its final direction. You will need a rotor to conveniently re-point the antenna in the direction of the broadcast antenna for each HD channel (If they are spread around). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hook up prior to my original post above was diplexing the SAT and CBL signal to the SAT INPUT and sending the antenna to the antenna input. I switched the diplexer so it would combine the SAT and ANT and send the CBL to the antenna input. This worked I can now see 5-1 again, I think the installer must have switched the wire after the initial channel scan (he never used a diplexer before).

The SAT 119 signal strength is between 60 and 70 on all tranponders and 90-100 on SAT 110.

Should I combine the CBL and the ANT feed to the diplexer and connect it to the antenna input? Would this give a better picture or just less pixelization and rain fade? The Hughes manual doesn't say antthing about combining two signals and using the antenna input, it says you should use the SAT input. I guess I could try it.

Thoughts??

SW

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have the Mits HD400 and although I don't have it hooked up for OTA HD reception yet, I did play around with the cheap double-bowtie from RS just to see how it would work.

According to the Mits manual, if you are going to use a cable input, that needs to be hooked up to the ANT input and the OTA signal needs to be diplexed with the sat signal and hooked up to the SAT input. The Mits manual is a little confusing about this, because it shows either cable or OTA going to the ANT input, but if you're using both, I believe that you can only diplex the OTA with the sat signal. I've played around with all possible combinations, and I seem to remember that diplexing the cable with the sat or with OTA didn't work.

I also discovered that any station that has been de-selected in Fav A, B, C or Family will automatically be added back if you punch in the station number directly, so the suggestion that crbaldwin made should work, if there's a signal there.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.