AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between the CM4221 and CM3021?

I currently have a CM3021 installed on my house and it works great. I wanted to try another one in a less optimal location, a first floor apartment. At the moment I am using an RCA UHF/VHF antenna but have trouble getting channels above 40. The lower frequency channels are coming in with a signal strength of 70 on my DST-3000.

Will a CM UHF antenna work better than the RCA antenna?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
JHL-

I think a lot of us would like to help you out...but ya gotta give us more to go on! I mean, it would be helpful to know how many elements are on the RCA...gain #'s...do you have trees...buildings...hills....around? How far are you from the transmitters?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Wolvernole,I know this is unrelated but are you able to get any of the Baltimore stations in Dumfries?I am in Dale City and am unable to get them with a Winegard Yagi.I was wondering if maybe upgrading my antenna would get them.Thanks in advance,,,,

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHL:
What are the differences between the CM4221 and CM3021?
I couldn't figure out if there were any differences from the Channel Master web page, so I e-mailed them and asked. The reply from Channel Master was that the 4221 is a packaging designation for two 3021s packaged in the same box and is designed for distributors.

------------------

Tom

Mitsubishi WS-65907 HD RPTV

Mitsubishi SR-HD5 HD receiver

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am currently using the RCA ANT3009X. Here is a link to the full description -- http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...45481,00.html?

It seems to be a nine element UHF/VHF antenna.

My apartment location is not that great. It is a first floor apartment on the inner side of two rows of three story buildings. There are a few gaps between the buildings, and the RCA is currently aimed off my patio toward one of those gaps. I am able to get the local San Jose stations with a strength of 90+ but need to get the higer frequency channels. These are broadcast from San Francisco, about 35 miles away.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
JHL-

I assume that the San Jose signal towers are closer than San Fran...anyway, that RCA is woefully under-elemented in my opinion (you thought the VHF/UHF RCA had NINE elements). Some dedicated UHF ants have 28, 30, 35 elements alone. If you are pulling from 35 miles, and trying to get the "upper" UHF channels (which BTW, are usually the weakest) you need help/ to un-handicap yourself from that RCA. I am very familiar with CM, but not that particular model. Just hop on the CM internet site and check them out(UHF dedicated, unless you are in the rarest of rare and have a VHF HD broadcast)...also Winegard...e.g. CA-9085; directional but not as extreme or big as the 9095. Good luck!

denhdtv- What Winegard do you have...the PR series or CA series? What model #. I'll bet you are one of the many trying to get an HD signal from ABC, right? Get back, please.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wolvernole,I have the PR 9032 and yeah I want to get the Baltimore ABC station as well as the others as I am originally from Baltimore and would like to get alot of the local broadcasts having to do with the Ravens!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not had any luck finding the CM 3021/4221 locally. I suppose I could do a special order somewhere but then it might be difficult to return it.

In the meantime I tried Radio Shacks UHF only roof antenna. It is giving mixed results: I can now received KRON (57-1) with a strength of 44-51 along with several other WB affiliates. Unfortunately I still can't receive KTVU (56-1) and I have lost KGO (24-1) which is the ABC affiliate. My CBS strength (29-1) is now around 90 so I am happy about that too.

Does it sound like a CM 3021 or Winegard 4400 will do a better job for me?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.