Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My house is about a month from being finished and I want to start buying my gear for my home run enclosure. I am looking at the ChannelPlus or Open House coax pannels. Both companies offer a bi-directional and high headroom version. Can anyone explain the differences between these?

I haven't decided yet whether to get digital cable or satellite (I don't know if I have a good enough view of the SW sky). We have Time Warner digital in teh area, and I think here in Tampa they are just starting to pass out some of the high-def boxes. I don't have a HDTV set yet, but I want to buy the right peice of equipment for the future. I assume I need the bi-directional coax pannel for the digital cable, but don't want to limit myself by not getting the high-headroom unit if this will in fact pass a better signal.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
511 Posts
I spoke with tech support at ChannelPlus (who also manufactures the OpenHouse products) on this topic a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I learned:

- You need BID (bi-directional) for digital cable / PPV / other advanced CATV applications.

- HHR is for use with over-the-air antennas when you want to avoid the possibility of having your own signal re- broadcasting over an antenna.

Unless you're sure that you'll be using an antenna & won't need bi-directional capability, they advised using the BID unit. I didn't get the sense that the HHR unit offers any performance advantages -- the benefit relates to avoidance of unitentional broadcast rather than performance.

I know that ChannelPlus tech support monitors this forum -- please correct me if I've got any of this wrong.

Regards

BB

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know you could broadcast your own signals over an antenna.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just go with the bi-directional unit for now. I'll probably have digital cable at the start. I would like to get an HDTV within the next year and get a OTA antenna, so hopefully the BID will do just fine.

Aaron

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb80301

[I know that ChannelPlus tech support monitors this forum -- please correct me if I've got any of this wrong.

Regards

BB [/b]
You got it right. The FCC limits the signal strength of any locally modulated signals to 3uV max at the antenna. This is about 1/8 of a picowatt! It takes a very specialized amplifier to provide such extreme isolation at UHF frequencies.

If you will not have a modulator AND antenna, then the BID would be the preferred version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.