AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've reported in earlier posts, I've really started using my Canadian-sourced Pioneer 450 and 460 HDD recorders lately. I love them as a blending of the best of the Panasonic and Philips/Magnavox worlds, except....

Does anybody know if there's a way to get the Pio to just throw in a chapter break every 10 minutes while recording to HDD, like the Maggie?

I've been through the manual, and it's looking like the answer is "no". It has a funky variable chaptering function where it tries to put breaks in at scene breaks (didn't work well when I tried it--breaks all over the place). It'll do fixed 10- or 15-minute intervals when recording in VR mode (which I never use) or direct to DVD-R or DVD+R. But not just a break every 10 on the HDD.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
No, Pio never had this function, mysteriously this is the one HDD feature Pioneer bungled completely. You can only select specified 0/5/10 minute auto chapter breaks when recording direct to DVD. When recording to the HDD, the only options are "none" or the completely useless "auto detect scene changes and place chapter marks there": so unpredictable as to be worthless (you get a hundred chapter marks, or 2-3, you never know). I leave it switched off, and have just got in the habit of adding manual chapter breaks after each HDD recording (fairly painless using the 10-min skip button on the remote).

This is one of the features Magnavox gets right that a lot of big name brands got wrong.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
US Panasonics are the same. Only recording direct to DVD will give you automatic chapter marks of about 5 minutes apart. At least the international Panasonics have corrected this and give the user a choice of about 4 different lengths.

My guess is the designers were worried about colliding chapter marks if you were to put one very close to a automatic one. They probably figure everyone would put chapter marks in logical parts. Little do they know that probably most people(including me) don't take the time to add chapter marks, so I end up with long titles with NO chapter marks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I'll be jiggered! I haven't had the auto-chapter marking turned on since the early days of owning this machine.. several years ago.. but, yesterday, I remembered, for sure, it did do the 10-minute interval mark recording to HDD. I just tried it now. Hmmm... I remembered incorrectly. Not for the first or the last time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anybody'd know, it'd be you, Citibear. I was hoping there'd be some super-secret hidden auto-chaptering fuctionality that only a power-Pio user like you would know. I'm no worse off than with my Panasonic, where I just go into chapter edit mode and fast scan through the program, kicking in a chapter break every ~10 minutes or so (thanks to a tip from ChurchAV-Luke--I never figured it out on my own). I don't need scene-specific breaks, just a way to jump through a program quickly when a player doesn't remember where I left off.

jjeff: I'd forgotten that the Panny will do auto chapters IF you record in real time to DVD (which I've *never* done with mine) or dub from HDD to DVD in real time, which I did a couple times early on and then realized that (1) I was tying up my machine for hours and hours and (2) I didn't want to put that much wear on the laser.

I still really like the Pioneers. I'm trilingual now: I have the Pios, the Panny, and the Philips all in regular "service" (as DigaDo would say!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts