AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Canadian-model Pioneer DVR-650H-K is my first ever DVD recorder and I have been having fun making and editing (& copying) some recordings. Clearly, I have a lot to learn and one of the topics I wanted to ask about was Chapter Editing. The manual tells me how to Edit and explains how to Erase/Move, Divide and Combine. What I want to know is if I can add a chapter to a recording on the HDD? The on-screen menu allows me to set the chapter separation at 10 or 15 minutes or No Separation.

I have 4 45-minute recordings that I am first recording onto the HDD and then editing out some extra material. I want to have chapter marks (similar to "Index Marks" on a Sony VCR) placed at the beginning of the 4 recordings only. Is this possible?

Thanks for looking, even if you don't have the DVR-650.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, in fact you will get an automatic chapter mark at the beginning of each title added to a compilation if they are combined into one. You also get a chapter mark whenever you pause recording.

On Pioneers you can add manual chapter marks anywhere using the Chapter Edit feature, but you also automatically get chapter marks at the beginning/end of each title, as well as at each edit point such as where you remove commercials.

The automatic chapter separation feature is actually only intended for real-time recordings or copies to a DVD. There are no automatic chapter separations for HDD recordings unless they changed things from last year's model which is what I use.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, which model Pio are you using? The manual for the DVR-650 says nothing about adding a chapter mark and the on-screen menu and the Disc Navigator (> Edit > Chapter Edit) does not have an "Add" button.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
When you are in "Chapter Edit," cue up the frame where you want the chapter mark, pause it, and hit the center select/enter button on the remote. A chapter mark will appear. These are the same marks you make to erase a segment, or divide.

If your four 45 minute programs are TV programs with the commercials edited out, I am afraid you won't be able to "combine" chapters (and thus remove the chapter marks) when something was removed from between them. Your best bet would be to have each 45 minute program as a separate title. That would let you use the menu to select each, and let you make a thumbnail for each.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm using a 640 but I believe the functionality is the same.

Yes, kjbawc is right. The terminology may be questionable but in Chapter Edit, "Divide" essentially means add a new chapter mark. (You are dividing the chapter into two by adding a new chapter mark, rather than splitting the title which was my initial assumption. To actually split a title, you use the "Divide" in the Edit menu, not "Divide" in the Chapter Edit menu.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, folks (guys -?) for the answers. I will play with this some more. My 4 45-minute programs are for a backup copy of a DVD that I own. It is a TV program but the A&E DVD that I purchased has removed the commercials. As the original DVD does not have a "Play All" menu function I am manually selecting which episode (4 to a disc) to record, in this case all.

I have my 650 set to "add" a chapter every 15 minutes but I can turn that off entirely. I should then be able to "Divide"/add chapter marks at the beginning of each episode(which is all that I want), right?

What I really love about the 650: the ability to use a PC keyboard to input the disc title name instead of the menu! I just need to find a 6-pin (round) USB adapter for the USB 2.0 slot behind the front panel.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
If you want to be able to skip from one 45min. program to the next, with one push of the chapter advance button, yes, you will want to turn of the auto chapter function. When you edit out the bit of menu you record between each segment, it will leave chapter marks at the beginning of the next segment.

Another issue - to put 4 - 45min. programs on one SL disc, you will need to record at a less than SP bit rate. You might want to put it all on one DL disc, or record it on two SL discs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the dual layer disc tip. I've already done a test recording with both the HDD and a SL disc and LP mode looks fine to me. I tried recording to the HDD in XP mode and then when I went to burn a disc (SL) the 650 chose "MN14" rec. mode which, to me, looked about the same as LP.

One more question: what are the advantages of recording in Video Mode over VR Recording? I read about this in the Pio manual but can't seem to find it now.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Video mode is what is compatible with other players, but the only way you can make a high-speed lossless dupe of a SL Video Mode disc is with the "disc backup" function, which makes a bit-for-bit copy, but allows no alterations whatsoever. VR mode discs can by HS copied back to the HDD, edited, then burned back to a Video Mode disc at HS. So, you can use -RW discs, which are initialized to VR mode, as an addition to your HDD, for extra storage of things you want to edit and assemble on one disc later. I do a lot of compilations of shorts. I usually burn a VR mode duplicate, which I store with my Video Mode copy. That way, if I want to assemble the shorts in a different order, or combination, later, I can HS copy just the elements I want back to the HDD.

If you copied something in XP to your HDD, and when you went to put it on disc, and the 640 did it at MN14, I assume it did a real-time copy, and the XP recording was too long to fit on a SL disc. It is best to record at the speed that will fit on a disc, or two discs, or a DL disc, so you can do a lossless, HS recording.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts