AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
there were a couple of comments about it at the end of the Forrest Gump thread.

I thought it looked okay, but nothing spectacular. Overall I noticed a lot of grain (compared to Gump the other night). and of course it was not in OAR.......

-Sp

·
Registered
537 Posts
Are these transfers that ABC shows the same ones that HBO shows? Both Charlies Angels and Forest Gump were on HBO and ABC with Forest being kept in OAR on both ABC and HBO and Charlies Angels gettin the chop work on both HBO and ABC. Seems that both probably were given the same HD transfer. Just curious

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keithaxis
Both Charlies Angels and Forest Gump were on HBO and ABC with Forest being kept in OAR on both ABC and HBO and Charlies Angels gettin the chop work on both HBO and ABC.

Charlie's Angles didn't get the "chop" it was shot Super 35, so ABC broadcasted it open matte. I thought the ABC broadcasted looked comparable to the HBO broadcast.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
"Transfer" implies the Telecine from the original film. I think it is entirely possible that the same "transfer" could end up on HBO *or* ABC... It would involve some "post processing" (such as format conversion) before broadcast.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmdorsey
Charlie's Angles didn't get the "chop" it was shot Super 35, so ABC broadcasted it open matte. I thought the ABC broadcasted looked comparable to the HBO broadcast.
I'm glad you brought this up.

I really need to talk to someone about this if they really know what's going on with this open matte business. "TO ME", NOT all of the original picture info is there even with open matte. Sure, there's more information on the top and bottom, however it SEEMS that there is still picture information missing from the sides. All you have to do is look at the example at this site.

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml#OpenMatte

(Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the pictured example)

If you watched the film Charlie's Angels closely, there were still a few times

they letter-boxed it so that information on the sides would could be

shown...Such as near the opening of the movie (a few moments AFTER it started) a section in the middle of the movie and the end credits. Even at least once or twice did I notice that some images were being cut off a little bit on each side with said open matte when they were NOT letter-boxing it.

If all of the information could have been shown on the sides with open matte, there would have been no reason for them to letterbox any parts of the movie in those areas.

I felt that the colors were WAY too strong. I've also seen this movie on HBO-HD and it looked much better color wise, bright but not as overly bright and intense as the ABC version.

As far as the differences of the 720p VS 1080i, it's been too long for me to remember. I think it's been since Jan that I've seen Charlie's Angles on HBO-HD and I remember it looking much smoother (like a film) while the same movie on ABC, the picture seemed to look sharper but not as smooth for some reason. MAYBE a little EE going on here?

Also, when I saw it on HBO-HD, the audio was 5.1 DD audio. I'm sure it was that way too on ABC, however my local ABC is not capable of passing through 5.1 DD audio. Too bad, as the sound was GREAT in DD 5.1.

I felt that the HBO-HD version was a much better presentation because of the items mentioned above. The commercial breaks in the ABC version was not too much of an issue with me as far as my enjoyment of the movie was concerned.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmdorsey
I was going to check if it was indeed in open matte format. I noticed during the credits they switched to a wider aspect, and then did the same part way through the movie when a lot of special graphics were being displayed.

I'm guess that I saw this because the credits/special graphic screens were done in postproduction, and therefore weren't actually shot on the film... Is this correct?

-Sp

·
Registered
537 Posts
Whatever the case is, all i can say is that the showing on ABC was a lot more blown up than the DVD I own....So they zoomed in on the super 35 and gave us that. If some want to think that is great then that is their opinion. On my larger set it is very noticable when they zoom in to fill an HD transfer to fit. Still anything in HD is better than nothing I guess.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I suppose sometimes it is possible that an "Open Matte" presentation might show some letterboxing at times because the title generators were not outputting full 16x9. For instance, titles or special effects could be rendered to part of the frame, expecting that it would get vertically cropped before theatrical broadcast. If someone then opened up the matte for an HD broadcast you might get some scenes which were not complete (vertically). The same thing can be true of microphone booms in the top of the scene that the director may have through would get masked out.

(With that said, I have no idea what ABC actuallly did with Charlie's Angels)

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I don't believe super 35 aspect ratio conversions are as simple as just opening mattes (the search function of this forum and google is quite effective). Definitely not for scenes involving special effects which are generally framed for the OAR. If I remember correctly :)rolleyes:, this movie has a few special effects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.