AVS Forum banner

9101 - 9120 of 13710 Posts

·
Registered
17,274 Posts
But what about the ratio?

Even 4x3 can be 1080i (you saw that this week if you watched the I Love Lucy Christmas Special or the 50th anniversary of Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer on WBTV/CBS).
While you can have 4:3 1080i, in practice it's nearly always in a 16:9 frame.

- Trip

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lol...

Something is very wrong. If you are getting nothing, the first check would be to make sure your TV is set on antenna reception. Even if there was a hook-up issue, the scan probably should have decoded something
Note to self... please don't hand tighten either end of coaxial connections...

18 channels on first search.

Is it just me or is the pic quality even better compared to the RCA antenna ?..... now to get enough cable to run it outside somehow.

Outstanding !

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Does anyone know anything about limitations regarding GritTV being broadcast in 16x9? Since it is from the same company as EscapeTV (which is formatted in 16x9 on 64.3), you would think it's possible. Is there also a version offered in 4x3 and perhaps that is the one WBTV has chosen is it available ONLY on 4x3?

There is one guy at WBTV who will respond to e-mail, but he is in charge of promotions. If the question is outside his area, he will forward it to the appropriate staff and copy me, but no one ever replies after that, even if I reply-to-all on the chain later asking about it. When I call programming, I always end up in voice mail, and no one ever returns the call. I also e-mailed the question to the Contact Us link on the GritTV website, but no one has replied after a few weeks.
I think the picture quality on GritTV is very good. But I agree it would probably be nicer in 16x9 format. And they should do the same with Bounce, especially when they air the local news broadcasts. It looks too stretched and distorted. The WSOC newscasts on 64.5 which are SD look much better in 16x9 when compared to the WBTV newscasts in 4x3 on 3.2.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Note to self... please don't hand tighten either end of coaxial connections...

18 channels on first search.

Is it just me or is the pic quality even better compared to the RCA antenna ?..... now to get enough cable to run it outside somehow.

Outstanding !
Glad to hear you got it working. That Winegard is a good compact antenna. Just use a barrel splice to extend the cable.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
It's seems this is mostly left up to the whims of the local TV stations. A few seem to have little interest in getting the aspect ratio right on their subchannels. The best, by far is WJZY and their Movies! channel. That could be because that station is owned by FOX.
Movies! looks very good on 46.2, and WJZY was very good to properly adjust the aspect ratio to 16x9 after responding to viewer feedback. And it is coming soon to WYFF 4.2. Escape also looks good on 64.3 when I can get it. And that Court channel is soon to replace Live Well on 36.2, although I was hoping for CoziTV.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Movies! looks very good on 46.2, and WJZY was very good to properly adjust the aspect ratio to 16x9 after responding to viewer feedback. And it is coming soon to WYFF 4.2. Escape also looks good on 64.3 when I can get it. And that Court channel is soon to replace Live Well on 36.2, although I was hoping for CoziTV.
No offense but Movies! truly belongs to WHNS IMHO since it's FOX-related and should replace the weather map/NOAA radio on 21.2 and CoziTV would be better off on WYFF 4.2 since it's NBC-related since this station is owned by Hearst unfortunately. Even though Greenville, SC DMA is lacking diversity (no Bounce or a Spanish-language subchannel in the market like Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC has). I would love to see AntennaTV replace the SD simulcast of WSPA 7.1 (CBS) on 62.2 one day so we could have more variety and fun.

BTW tylerSC, I'm also plan on getting for Christmas a 25' telescopic mast along with extra 5' mast for the antenna rotor so I could increase my signal with most Line of Sight path (30' I could get WLOS 13.1 (ABC) on Line of Sight path!) and less 1edge and 2edge paths. Too bad WYFF dropping ThisTV on 4.2 (for no reason) but I think it's still on WIS 10.2 in Columbia, SC DMA or they replaced it with some nonsense IDK.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No sound thru AVR, only tv speakers work

Not sure where else to post this, probably in AVR forum, but I'll start it here initially, mods pls. move if needed.

I only get sound from tv spkrs.

I have one hdmi running out from avr to tv and pass thru is on..... wonder what I'm doing wrong now. I have a Yamaha 667 avr.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Not sure where else to post this, probably in AVR forum, but I'll start it here initially, mods pls. move if needed.

I only get sound from tv spkrs.

I have one hdmi running out from avr to tv and pass thru is on..... wonder what I'm doing wrong now. I have a Yamaha 667 avr.
Your TV may have to have HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) for this to work. Do you have Optical Toslink or Red/White RCA audio? That may be another option.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your TV may have to have HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) for this to work. Do you have Optical Toslink or Red/White RCA audio? That may be another option.
You're correct...tv has to have ARC also...my S1 doesn't.... I'll have to get an optical cable.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
It appears WBTV may be broadcasting their news from a different studio, as the backdrop and camera angles appear slightly altered. And there seems to be a black and white checkerboard floor. And I have heard unconfirmed reports that a new set may debut after the first of the year, so this could be a possible explanation.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure if anyone related to 64 is on this thread, but just in case ESCAPE-Tv 64.3 has sporadic static on it, it's been there for a couple days.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not sure if anyone related to 64 is on this thread, but just in case ESCAPE-Tv 64.3 has sporadic static on it, it's been there for a couple days.
We are on it, waiting on a part.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Theo is there any chance the WSOC Shelby translator could ever switch 64.5 over to HD? I'd love to finally be able to get it in HD. The 64.1 signal is too weak for my area. I realize this likely would require an investment on your part in hardware but just wanted to offer the suggestion. I know other stations do dual 720p feeds

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Theo is there any chance the WSOC Shelby translator could ever switch 64.5 over to HD? I'd love to finally be able to get it in HD. The 64.1 signal is too weak for my area. I realize this likely would require an investment on your part in hardware but just wanted to offer the suggestion. I know other stations do dual 720p feeds
Certain markets do have dual 720p stations in HD using advanced encoders. But mostly full power channels. Not sure it is necessarily done on low power stations, although it would be nice. I just wish they could boost power just a bit.

9101 - 9120 of 13710 Posts