AVS Forum banner

13961 - 13977 of 13977 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
In other news, UNC-TV has become PBS North Carolina. Unlike other channel changes, a rescan for antenna users will not be necessary 😁

·
Registered
327 Posts
In other news, UNC-TV has become PBS North Carolina. Unlike other channel changes, a rescan for antenna users will not be necessary 😁
It looks like they retired the "hurricane" logo for now. They used some form of it for over 40 years.

The last card with the hurricane from this week-

New card-

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Nexstar apparently making cutbacks and talent changes at WJZY as former FOX contracts may expire. Brigida Mack and Chuck Roads are gone, and Page Fehling moving to new noon and 4pm newscast. Morgan Norwood will be new morning anchor. I liked Brigida back on WBTV as she brought personality to the program and hope she will be back on another Charlotte station soon. I think she had started at WSOC. And Chuck Roads is an excellent traffic reporter, back from his days on WBT and WBTV so he would be an asset to any other broadcast.

·
Registered
562 Posts
LightTV is history on WJZY Ch 46-7. It's now TheGrioTV. This was not a WJZY decision. LightTV owners MGM TV sold the channel to Byron Allen of Allen Media Group in October. I believe Allen also owns - in part or whole - The Weather Channel. My first memory of Allen was from the NBC show "Real People" (1979-84).

·
Registered
327 Posts
LightTV is history on WJZY Ch 46-7. It's now TheGrioTV. This was not a WJZY decision. LightTV owners MGM TV sold the channel to Byron Allen of Allen Media Group in October. I believe Allen also owns - in part or whole - The Weather Channel. My first memory of Allen was from the NBC show "Real People" (1979-84).
Byron Allen also bought This TV with LightTV. I'm not sure if This TV's content will change or not.
The picture quality on WJZY's subchannels is extremely poor now. I recorded The Mod Squad off TheGrio today and the file size came out to about 950MB. If it was in HD, it would be around 8-10GB.

·
Registered
935 Posts
and the this tv schedule also have change.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Byron Allen also bought This TV with LightTV. I'm not sure if This TV's content will change or not.
The picture quality on WJZY's subchannels is extremely poor now. I recorded The Mod Squad off TheGrio today and the file size came out to about 950MB. If it was in HD, it would be around 8-10GB.
Never goes over 1Mbps, usually 700-800Kbps. Plus it's scaled down to 544 x 480.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I would prefer to see WJZY reduce some of their subchannels, as the picture quality is suboptimal, and it also detracts from their 2 HD channels. I normally watch Ion on WSPA 7.3 as the video is better. In fact, I would rather see Ion in HD rather than MyTV on 55.1. They rerun a lot of the CBS and NBC rime dramas which I enjoy on Ion. Perhaps ATSC-3 will improve the subchannels, but that may be a while yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would prefer to see WJZY reduce some of their subchannels, as the picture quality is suboptimal, and it also detracts from their 2 HD channels. I normally watch Ion on WSPA 7.3 as the video is better. In fact, I would rather see Ion in HD rather than MyTV on 55.1. They rerun a lot of the CBS and NBC rime dramas which I enjoy on Ion. Perhaps ATSC-3 will improve the subchannels, but that may be a while yet.
ATSC 3.0 allows for more HD channels using less bitrate than what they use now, thanks to better compression and coding. For an example, WRDC, a ATSC 3.0 lighthouse station in the Raleigh market, is broadcasting five HD channels, two in 1080p and three in 720p. A fantastic improvement and the reason we need new receivers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ATSC 3.0 allows for more HD channels using less bitrate than what they use now, thanks to better compression and coding. For an example, WRDC, a ATSC 3.0 lighthouse station in the Raleigh market, is broadcasting five HD channels, two in 1080p and three in 720p. A fantastic improvement and the reason we need new receivers.
That may be true, but a quick look at the stations already on ATSC 3.0 on Rabbitears seems to indicate that not many of the lesser-known sub-channels are being shown in 3.0. The stations on 3.0 thus far do not seem to be broadcasting their entire lineups. If ATSC 3.0 allows for more channels, I'd like to see more exploiting of that capability.

Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see that happen for a long time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
"That may be true, but a quick look at the stations already on ATSC 3.0 on Rabbitears seems to indicate that not many of the lesser-known sub-channels are being shown in 3.0. The stations on 3.0 thus far do not seem to be broadcasting their entire lineups. If ATSC 3.0 allows for more channels, I'd like to see more exploiting of that capability.

Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see that happen for a long time."

In the begining of ATSC 3.0 service, they are looking to get the major networks on. Remember, its a Lighthouse, one station would not normally have 5 HDs on its station. Its channel sharing in the market. 2 HDs and 10 SDs per station is about 5-7 years away.

Reactions: eacalhoun

·
Registered
71 Posts
Locast launches in Charlotte area! We have an antenna at home, but being able to stream the OTA via LTE on iPhone and iPad works well while on the go!

Locast offers local channels airing conference playoff football games Sunday.
Nonprofit Locast is only service to stream all local TV channels – for free – over internet.

Charlotte, NC – Jan. 22, 2021 – Locast, America’s only nonprofit, free, local broadcast TV digital translator streaming service, is delivering 45 local TV channels via the internet – for free – to the more than 3.2 million residents living in the greater Charlotte and Statesville TV market in North Carolina, starting today.

For the first time, residents in Charlotte and its surrounding cities – including Statesville – will be able to watch all of their local TV stations via the Internet on their phones, tablets, laptops, or streaming media devices. Locast provides a public service by giving access to important local news, storm coverage, emergency information, COVID health and safety updates, election coverage, sports, and entertainment programming to internet-connected devices. Through its local TV channel service, Locast offers this Sunday’s pro-football conference playoff games.

So-called “cord cutters,” who cancel their increasingly expensive pay-TV subscriptions, and “cord-nevers,” who have never subscribed to pay-TV services, represent a significant proportion of Locast users. For those who cannot afford pay TV or cannot receive an over-the-air signal, Locast is often their only link to local broadcast news, emergency information, weather, sports, and entertainment. As a nonprofit, Locast performs a critical public service by increasing access to local broadcast channels – on the go, over the internet, on any device.

Locast delivers 45 local TV channels in the Charlotte-Statesville designated market area (DMA), including WCNC NBC 36, WJZY FOX 46, WSOC ABC 9, WBTV CBS 3, PBS and PBS Kids as well as CourtTV Mystery, AntennaTV, Telemundo, Circle, The CW, BOUNCE, Movies!, LAFF, Mystery, ION, GRIT, True Crime, Charge!, and more.

Locast is accessible to viewers in 22 counties in the Charlotte-Statesville DMA including Alexander, Anson, Ashe, Avery, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Catawba, Cleveland, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Richmond, Rowan, Stanly, Union, Watauga, and four counties in South Carolina: Chester, Chesterfield, Lancaster and York.

13961 - 13977 of 13977 Posts