AVS Forum banner

14061 - 14080 of 14125 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
@Theo1080 Just an update, it seems that using the OTA signal I'm now seeing 5.1 and so far (knock on wood) no blasting of commercials.

Thank you for your hard work and your updates here. It really is appreciated.
WSOC is broadcasting in stereo. The blank channels they were broadcasting previously probably didn't play well with 5.1 setups.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WSOC is broadcasting in stereo. The blank channels they were broadcasting previously probably didn't play well with 5.1 setups.
Well I wasn't receiving a center channel at all until the last couple of days so their working on it. I am getting some audio on the full 5.1 so maybe their testing and I just caught it when all channels were firing.

The biggest thing is that the center channel is back. The rest is secondary since now the voices come from the right place.;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
The 5.1 issues on WSOC go back years (yes, years).

Everything from missing 5.1 during primetime (daytime 5.1 only), to commercials triggering 2.0 fallback, to "all channels mix" (audio from every channel in the 5.1 container being mixed with every other), to LR being flipped, C/S flip (center in surround channels and surround in the center channel), to 2.0 in 5.1 (5.1 with L and R and everything else empty preventing surround processing) to massive latency, to packet stuttering, and on and on.

I stopped informing/attempting to contact them a year or two ago about it

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I think WSOC is upgrading their system now as it has been reported they are installing new encoders and overhauling for ATSC 3.0. Hopefully the audio issues will also improve but I think they are working on it. I know it is easy to become impatient, but there is probably more involved than just flipping a switch.

·
Registered
967 Posts
In response to LG8600user posting,

First, I don't remember hearing anything from you. I answer EVER vmail, phone call and email that makes it to my desk.
Not ever station in Charlotte does that. I'm not required to but I do because I believe information is good and service good will.

I don't have to make post on this board. I'm not paid too, I'm not required too.

I have stated many times here lately, I am trying to convert WAXN to an ATSC 3.0 station while installing encoders for both WSOC and WAXN
plus upgrade the audio and video paths. WSOC, WAXN and Telemundo are all entwined together in this plant. Not easy to make a move on one thing without effecting another. I'm trying to do it while staying on the air....which like trying to change a tire on a moving car.
I have stated that we are not 5.1 audio at this time. Its a low priority for me. I am trying to get good video, good 2.0 audio and closed captioning
out to the public.

As far as 5.1, I pass-thru what ABC sends me, I don't do anything to it. It is messed up at times and I spoken to ABC about it. I am trying to get
5.1 audio back on the air.

Lastly, I don't have to put up with insults and statements of incompetents. I have been doing this for 43 years, COX national engineer of the
year in 2015 and have many SBE certifications. Am I perfect? no...Do I know everything? no, I don't....but I am not some country boy with
tobacco juice on his shirt and I won't be treated like one.

Check online for news about ATSC 3.0 in Charlotte...you won't hear about from me...

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Posts edited to remove condescending remarks.

I know it can be frustrating at times, but it would do everyone well to remember station engineering teams are often trying to pull off miracles without the budget to do so. Hurling unfounded insults at them actually harms the dialog we need with them and them from us.

For a long time - and still in some cases - engineering staffs have considered AVSForum members a little more technically-savvy than the average viewer and have looked to this forum for clarification of issues reported by viewers. In return, they've often been very open about the things they're doing or planning.

No more.

The Facebook-and-Twitter style of just calling people names while hiding behind anonymous accounts has destroyed a lot of that. Yes, quite a few engineers still lurk here, but no longer participate. I hear from them frequently when other members are going off on unsubstituted claims and theories.

This continued stream of lousy manners and insulting language has cost us a lot of our experts in other areas, as well. It's also given AVSForum a bad name. Working for CBS in Detroit, I was close with most of the radio and television engineers in town ...except for our own TV CE, who knew I was a moderator here and refused to talk to me. That was thanks to other members denigrating WWJ-TV without knowing anything about what he was dealing with.

In summary: try and have a little more respect for the people who are trying to shove 70 pounds of video into a 10 pound bag and keep everybody happy in the process. Let's work to keep the few who are still here ...here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just want to say that I feel like I hit a gold mine of info when I found this forum. I may have a somewhat formal education in electronics but the downside is that it was with vacuum tube theory and that new arena, transistors.

I greatly appreciate the folks like Theo1080 for donating their personal time to keep us neophytes informed on what's going on behind the curtain especially with the new tech rolling out. (It also keeps me from thinking I've lost my hearing when the oddities start occurring o_O)

I know I don't always give details of what I'm experiencing in the right terms but is always seems to be somewhat understood and that in itself is a miracle.

@DrDon Thank you for answering the question I had before I could ask it officially. I wondered what the forum position was on posts as above. Nice to see that a modicum of courtesy is still required in some places.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm 66 and getting closer to the "Old Timer Circle" but I don't think i'm there yet. How you know you've become an "old timer"?

1) You can remember when you let the radio and TV engineers do their work and counted it a blessing when you waited for 'months on end' to get one nugget of information from them about their job;

2) You can remember when you had to get up from the easy chair to change the dial on the TV;

3) You remember when everybody went DOWNTOWN to buy their latest electronics gear;

4) You can remember when avocado green and harvest gold were the most popular colors. History repeats itself. Hey, it could happen again;

5) You can remember who all the old timers were in your neighborhood that knew everything about TV antennas and thinking you would never be like them. And then someone calls you an old timer;

6) Later in life, you thought you would eventually catch up with all the old timers and one day you suddenly realize, "Hey, where did all the old timers go?"

7) And now you're reading this list on the AVSForum. As an "old timer", you can remember when dial-up internet was the latest craze and you may still be waiting a month or two for that TV engineer to reply to your one question.

And the list can go on and on.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
2) You can remember when you had to get up from the easy chair to change the dial on the TV;
Another reason to have kids.....
4) You can remember when avocado green and harvest gold were the most popular colors. History repeats itself. Hey, it could happen again;
Toilets and tubs should never again see those colors as well as "coral"!
5) You can remember who all the old timers were in your neighborhood that knew everything about TV antennas and thinking you would never be like them. And then someone calls you an old timer;
And the tinfoil they wrapped around certain elements was really tin and not aluminum.
6) Later in life, you thought you would eventually catch up with all the old timers and one day you suddenly realize, "Hey, where did all the old timers go?"
Truer words never spoken. The question of where did they all go is almost a daily thought.

Thanks for the smile that is so sorely needed in these times. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to personally thank all the engineers here for their hard work and for taking the time to share their vast knowledge. I myself have worked in broadcasting in the past and admire what you guys do. I would bet there are a lot more that support you than not. Again, thanks for all you do.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would like to personally thank all the engineers here for their hard work and for taking the time to share their vast knowledge. I myself have worked in broadcasting in the past and admire what you guys do. I would bet there are a lot more that support you than not. Again, thanks for all you do.
It's about time you appeared RG..!

Reactions: bdfox18doe

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here’s another way to tell you are a Charlotte area old-timer...

You can remember when NBC was on WSOC and ABC was on WCCB. What is now WCNC was an independent station. And you remember the date when all of that changed - 7/1/78. In the months prior to that, the promotional catch phrase I remember (in the voice of announcer Ray Barath) was “July one, it’s all on nine”...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here’s another way to tell you are a Charlotte area old-timer...

You can remember when NBC was on WSOC and ABC was on WCCB. What is now WCNC was an independent station. And you remember the date when all of that changed - 7/1/78. In the months prior to that, the promotional catch phrase I remember (in the voice of announcer Ray Barath) was “July one, it’s all on nine”...
I vaguely remember when something changed with WCCB. I was 10 in '78. I loved Cowboy Classics on Saturday mornings.

14061 - 14080 of 14125 Posts