AVS Forum banner

14081 - 14100 of 14125 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I vaguely remember when something changed with WCCB. I was 10 in '78. I loved Cowboy Classics on Saturday mornings.
Great video - thanks for sharing that. I remember those commercials very well - the tune any way - but when I watched it again, the lyrics came back as well... I was 15 in July of 78. WCCB is a survivor for sure - losing ABC then, and Fox about 35 years later...

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Here’s another way to tell you are a Charlotte area old-timer...

You can remember when NBC was on WSOC and ABC was on WCCB. What is now WCNC was an independent station. And you remember the date when all of that changed - 7/1/78. In the months prior to that, the promotional catch phrase I remember (in the voice of announcer Ray Barath) was “July one, it’s all on nine”...
Yes the old channel 36 was WRET owned by Ted Turner and was a scaled down superstation sort of similar to the old WTBS in Atlanta. And it was the first station to carry Jim and Tammy when they started the PTL Club from the furniture store before they later moved to WCCB. Later Turner sold WRET when he started CNN and it became WPCQ then WCNC. WCCB went independent then later was the first FOX affiliate before WJZY.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi WCNC, time to move your clock forward. Your bug clock is wrong.
One thing I learned the hard way with my equipment is to specify Yes to Adjust for daylight savings time, but very definitely No to Auto time and date. TV stations have messed up my recordings more than once because I naively allowed my equipment to set the time from their signal. I definitely do that myself now, and I do it to the second. That resolved the issue of my current time being minutes or even hours off, causing the wrong program to record.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Give me more channels like Discovery and History Channel!
Tegna already has a channel like that, Quest.

And if you like the more reality aspects of Discovery and History, Scripps will be launcing 2 new channels this spring on many of the Ion stations. One of them is Defy TV which will have a bunch of shows from History like Forged in Fire, Pawn Stars, American Pickers and Oak Island.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tegna already has a channel like that, Quest.

And if you like the more reality aspects of Discovery and History, Scripps will be launcing 2 new channels this spring on the Ion stations. One of them Defy TV will have a bunch of shows from History like Forged in Fire, Pawn Stars, American Pickers and Oak Island.
I've been buying the Oak Island seasons the last few years on Amazon. Will be nice to see them for free! Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used to post in this forum when I lived in Watauga County, but I moved to Brunswick County a few months ago so I didn't think I would post here again. But this morning, I briefly picked up WNSC, WCCB and WSOC from my house with an indoor antenna. I was quite shocked to see them again!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to post in this forum when I lived in Watauga County, but I moved to Brunswick County a few months ago so I didn't think I would post here again. But this morning, I briefly picked up WNSC, WCCB and WSOC from my house with an indoor antenna. I was quite shocked to see them again!
I live in Horry County 30 miles west of Myrtle Beach and was picking up WSOC this morning. I can only do that when RF-19 WCSC in Charleston is weak. Most of the time Charleston is strong for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I live in Horry County 30 miles west of Myrtle Beach and was picking up WSOC this morning. I can only do that when RF-19 WCSC in Charleston is weak. Most of the time Charleston is strong for me.
I pick up WCSC sometimes and it definitely comes in the most of all of the Charleston stations. I picked it up yesterday evening, and I picked up WYDO from Greenville yesterday morning. So in the span of 24 hours I picked up three different stations on RF channel 19!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I pick up WCSC sometimes and it definitely comes in the most of all of the Charleston stations. I picked it up yesterday evening, and I picked up WYDO from Greenville yesterday morning. So in the span of 24 hours I picked up three different stations on RF channel 19!
The last couple nights the conditions have been incredible particularly Friday. I mostly get Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington and occasionally Greenville. Wilmington and Charleston are strong for me and Columbia half the time Before the repack I could occasionally get Savannah, Augusta, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Tallahassee to name a few during the summer nights. The repack really squeezed the frequencies so it takes some special weather to get any real DXing for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The last couple nights the conditions have been incredible particularly Friday. I mostly get Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Columbia, Wilmington and occasionally Greenville. Wilmington and Charleston are strong for me and Columbia half the time Before the repack I could occasionally get Savannah, Augusta, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa and Tallahassee to name a few during the summer nights. The repack really squeezed the frequencies so it takes some special weather to get any real DXing for me.
That's really cool you have picked up stations from so many markets. Even with an indoor antenna, I've actually wondered how many more stations I could have picked up if the repack hadn't happened. When I lived in Watauga County, I picked up WCTV from Tallahassee twice which was about 400 miles away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's really cool you have picked up stations from so many markets. Even with an indoor antenna, I've actually wondered how many more stations I could have picked up if the repack hadn't happened. When I lived in Watauga County, I picked up WCTV from Tallahassee twice which was about 400 miles away.
You’re doing pretty good with an indoor antenna! Hopefully you’re in a situation where you can put a higher gain antenna outside or in the attic. I’ve been experimenting with antennas for 45 years so it’s always fun for me. Charlotte was always the big city to tune in from here.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
You’re doing pretty good with an indoor antenna! Hopefully you’re in a situation where you can put a higher gain antenna outside or in the attic. I’ve been experimenting with antennas for 45 years so it’s always fun for me. Charlotte was always the big city to tune in from here.
Many indoor antennas are poor performers or have limited range. But I have found excellent results with the Antop 800SBS or the similar Marathon Plus. They can be used outside or indoors and have a built in preamp. While many of these Chinese made antennas are problematic, these specific models are strong performers based upon my experience at multiple fringe locations, as well as other user reports. The Marathon Plus seems to have the better built amplifier, with an FM trap and LTE filter. But a 3-way or 4-way splitter may be helpful for attenuation if you are in a strong signal area, as it can power up to 4 TVs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Many indoor antennas are poor performers or have limited range. But I have found excellent results with the Antop 800SBS or the similar Marathon Plus. They can be used outside or indoors and have a built in preamp. While many of these Chinese made antennas are problematic, these specific models are strong performers based upon my experience at multiple fringe locations, as well as other user reports. The Marathon Plus seems to have the better built amplifier, with an FM trap and LTE filter. But a 3-way or 4-way splitter may be helpful for attenuation if you are in a strong signal area, as it can power up to 4 TVs.
Indoor antennas have come a long way! A cheap one doesn’t quite cut it in my location between Florence and Myrtle Beach. The Anton and Marthon should be perfect for some locations. While the prices are not cheap if it solves reception issues it’s worth it. I always enjoyed receiving the Charlotte market but since the repack it’s not often. Some might be on lower power, etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Indoor antennas have come a long way! A cheap one doesn’t quite cut it in my location between Florence and Myrtle Beach. The Anton and Marthon should be perfect for some locations. While the prices are not cheap if it solves reception issues it’s worth it. I always enjoyed receiving the Charlotte market but since the repack it’s not often. Some might be on lower power, etc.
I use a Clearstream 2Max with a KitzTech amplifier. I've used a KitzTech for years and been very satisfied. But I bought the Clearstream last year because it is multidirectional and I wanted to pick up both the Wilmington and Myrtle Beach stations. It can also be used indoors or outdoors, but I pick up nearly all of the main stations from both markets using it indoors so I stuck with that.

14081 - 14100 of 14125 Posts