AVS Forum banner

14101 - 14120 of 14125 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I use a Clearstream 2Max with a KitzTech amplifier. I've used a KitzTech for years and been very satisfied. But I bought the Clearstream last year because it is multidirectional and I wanted to pick up both the Wilmington and Myrtle Beach stations. It can also be used indoors or outdoors, but I pick up nearly all of the main stations from both markets using it indoors so I stuck with that.
Yes those Clearstreams also make a good indoor antenna. Or you can also use a 2-bay or 4-bay UHF antenna indoors, but you may need rabbit ears for VHF. A good 2-bay version was the Radioshack/Channel Master Allegro double bow tie, but they are not sold anymore. And the Winegard LNA100 is a good indoor inline amplifier, not to be confused with the LNA200 preamp which can be a bit noisier and overloading.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No sooner than I was complaining about receiving Charlotte stations they are coming in loud and clear this morning. Many stations there use the same frequencies as Wilmington and Charleston so that makes it tough. I installed the DAT BOSS LR yesterday. I have to say I’m impressed!
View attachment 3117099
Nice setup. I need a mast like that. The hollow tube mast ain't cutting it any more.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
No sooner than I was complaining about receiving Charlotte stations they are coming in loud and clear this morning. Many stations there use the same frequencies as Wilmington and Charleston so that makes it tough. I installed the DAT BOSS LR yesterday. I have to say I’m impressed!
View attachment 3117099
The build quality on the Televes antennas is excellent, and their built in preamp has automatic gain control which performs better with distant signals and does not overload from strong signals. They also have smaller versions of the DAT Boss and a newer Ellipse design, and they have versions with VHF dipoles if needed. You can order from Lowe's website or Ness Electronics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
View attachment 3117099
glad it’s working for you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting, it appears that WBTV has shifted over to 4:3 on the broadcast not 16:9.

Problem or goof?

EDIT TO ADD: And it switched back to 16:9 for a minute and then back to 4:3

Must be a problem. o_O

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looks like the Twist network will be coming to WCNC 36.5.
I rescanned to bring it in, and now I have 60 channels. Charlotte area low wattage channels 21 and 22 returned to the line-up, after a long disappearance. They both come in around the clock. And Triad channels 12, 20, 45, and 48 have all appeared. They’re nonexistent during the day, but have a surprisingly strong signal early in the morning, and late at night.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I rescanned to bring it in, and now I have 60 channels. Charlotte area low wattage channels 21 and 22 returned to the line-up, after a long disappearance. They both come in around the clock. And Triad channels 12, 20, 45, and 48 have all appeared. They’re nonexistent during the day, but have a surprisingly strong signal early in the morning, and late at night.
Atmospheric conditions are favorable early morning and late night. Do you pull in Asheville or Greenville-Spartanburg?

·
Registered
30 Posts
36.5 was automatically added to my TiVo Romeo OTA channel lineup yesterday. I blocked the channel as soon as I noticed it. Not my cup of tea!
We just got Twist on WLTX-19.5, watching it right now, so far it seems to be Canadian lifestyle and DIY shows.

Now if they could only get us CBC (and Radio-Canada, pour nous autres qui parlent un peu de francais)... I could go for some good poutine right now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here in Columbia SC, I get WFMY-2 on the odd occasion, with a Stellar Labs 8-bay bowtie and Channel Master amplifier. WXII-12 has even made it in here a time or two.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Atmospheric conditions are favorable early morning and late night. Do you pull in Asheville or Greenville-Spartanburg?
I got 7 and 62 up until about six months ago, but not since.

The early morning/late night signal clarity is one thing digital has in common with analog. Back in the day, I could occasionally get Raleigh, Columbia, Knoxville, etc. but not for long...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am having an intermittent signal overload problem, primarily on WSOC and WCCB. The signal strength stays at 100%, but the signal quality starts bouncing from various points between 100 and zero for a minute or so. Then it goes back to 100% for a while, until it does the above again. The antenna I am using is the yagi at the top of the pole in my picture, the smallest one I have, pointed toward Charlotte. No preamp is being used. As previously posted, it pulls in triad stations 12, 20, 45, and 48, from late night through early morning. WSOC and WCCB are on the other side of Charlotte from where I live, which should be far enough for it to not overload such a small antenna with the signal. I have previously had this problem with the Dallas antennas, but that makes sense, since those towers are only 5-7 miles away. Indoor antennas don’t have the necessary strength to pull in east-Charlotte stations. I could install a reducer, but would lose WAXN and WUNG, since they are weaker in strength from my location. My large directional antenna (bottom of the pole, also pointed toward Charlotte) used to NOT have this problem - ironically even with a preamp - both strength and quality stayed a 100%, even during high winds or other less than optimal conditions. Looks like the repack increased the signal so much that this is the result.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I am having an intermittent signal overload problem, primarily on WSOC and WCCB. The signal strength stays at 100%, but the signal quality starts bouncing from various points between 100 and zero for a minute or so. Then it goes back to 100% for a while, until it does the above again. The antenna I am using is the yagi at the top of the pole in my picture, the smallest one I have, pointed toward Charlotte. No preamp is being used. As previously posted, it pulls in triad stations 12, 20, 45, and 48, from late night through early morning. WSOC and WCCB are on the other side of Charlotte from where I live, which should be far enough for it to not overload such a small antenna with the signal. I have previously had this problem with the Dallas antennas, but that makes sense, since those towers are only 5-7 miles away. Indoor antennas don’t have the necessary strength to pull in east-Charlotte stations. I could install a reducer, but would lose WAXN and WUNG, since they are weaker in strength from my location.
Problem could be atmospheric conditions this morning. WSOC and WCCB are blasting in strong down here in Spartanburg at 100%. I usually get the Dallas signals at 100% but that can be expected. But WSOC and WCCB usually drop to 40 to 55% during the day with an attic antenna, as I am just past the fringe line for east Charlotte as I am west of I-26. Maybe it is temporary and will settle down later this morning.

Do you have a VHF antenna? You may be able to pull in reliable reception from WSOC on RF12, Crowder's Mtn. translator. Good small antennas for High VHF are RCA ANT751 by Winegard and Channel Master Stealthtenna 50, which is only $29. I get 9.5/65.5 always 75 to 80% and higher. And Stellar Labs has a dedicated High VHF antenna.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Problem could be atmospheric conditions this morning. WSOC and WCCB are blasting in strong down here in Spartanburg at 100%. I usually get the Dallas signals at 100% but that can be expected. But WSOC and WCCB usually drop to 40 to 55% during the day with an attic antenna, as I am just past the fringe line for east Charlotte as I am west of I-26. Maybe it is temporary and will settle down later this morning.

Do you have a VHF antenna? You may be able to pull in reliable reception from WSOC on RF12, Crowder's Mtn. translator. Good small antennas for High VHF are RCA ANT751 by Winegard and Channel Master Stealthtenna 50, which is only $29. I get 9.5/65.5 always 75 to 80% and higher. And Stellar Labs has a dedicated High VHF antenna.
Unfortunately, this problem has been occurring for weeks, and at all hours of the day.

I do have a VHF antenna (not pictured) but it occurs on that one as well...

I have occasionally gotten Crowder’s Mountain on one of the Dallas antennas, but a rescan usually brings the primary signal back in.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Unfortunately, this problem has been occurring for weeks, and at all hours of the day.

I do have a VHF antenna (not pictured) but it occurs on that one as well...

I have occasionally gotten Crowder’s Mountain on one of the Dallas antennas, but a rescan usually brings the primary signal back in.
If you are combining UHF antennas that may cause interference issues unless you use an A/B switch or a UVSJ to separate the UHF and VHF antennas. The trick is to combine and balance your signals and avoid overload and interference. That may require professional technical assistance beyond my speculation.

But there is a new device called Avant X by Televes that allows you to combine and separate signals into one system while avoiding interference. There is a thread on the HDTV Technical forum. It is a bit expensive but seems to be beneficial in multiple antenna situations.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good thought, but each of my five antennas are separately wired and plug into different devices. I do use one A/B switch for the option of a Dallas antenna or a Charlotte antenna into one of my DVRs. Combining antenna signals wouldn’t work where I live because the Charlotte TV stations are all too close by... That would cause both antennas to partially bring in the signal from a station, increasing the likelihood of interference if the two were combined. Conversely, I have family down in Moore County, in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. They are not close to ANY TV stations. They have cable, but if they were interested in OTA TV, they could get multiple antennas, and point one at Raleigh/Durham, one at the Triad, and perhaps a third at Florence or even Wilmington. Then blend all of them into one plug, and their signals shouldn’t step on each other, because none of the antennas should bring in even a hint of the channels the others are bringing in.

14101 - 14120 of 14125 Posts