AVS Forum banner
14261 - 14280 of 15078 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Will they all be in one PLP, so that anyone who gets one of them will get them all?

What will the mod/cod be for the PLP(s) and what SNR(s) will be required to decode?

Do you plan to experiment with that or stick with the same PLP configuration for the duration?
All channels will be in one PLP. The ModCod will be set at around 28-29 MB/s. S/N will be around 15db (ATSC 1.0). GI 11/15. 256QAM. FFT 16k...
We are trying to find sweet spot of robustness vs PQ.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm just glad that FOX NFL games won't look like hot garbage anymore. All the channels on 46.x look horrible. Going to have to get an HD HomeRun to pull the ATSC 3.0 signals in though.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Are WJZY, WBTV and WCNC getting to WAXN over the air or a fiber link?

WBTV will make WAXN easy to get making the translator redundant.
I wonder when WAXN moves to WBTV will they remain 720p or some other reduced video? And will main WBTV 3.1 remain 1080i or will they have to adjust the video to 720p or some other reduced bandwidth?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I wonder when WAXN moves to WBTV will they remain 720p or some other reduced video? And will main WBTV 3.1 remain 1080i or will they have to adjust the video to 720p or some other reduced bandwidth?
WAXN will be at 720p, statmux with WBTV. WBTV will remain at 1080i.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
will the WJZY 46 ATSC 1 sub channels be shut off when WJZY 46.1 be simulcast on the ATSC 3

as you mention this WJZY, while a 3.0 participle, will not host any additional 1.0 programming.

Just wondering.
WJZY is already full with multiple subchannels so they have no more room to add anything else.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm just glad that FOX NFL games won't look like hot garbage anymore. All the channels on 46.x look horrible. Going to have to get an HD HomeRun to pull the ATSC 3.0 signals in though.
We won't see a huge difference until the networks upgrade their feeds. I wouldn't spend the $200 on the HDHomeRun unless you're the early adopter type.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We won't see a huge difference until the networks upgrade their feeds. I wouldn't spend the $200 on the HDHomeRun unless you're the early adopter type.
No, you probably won't see 4K TV until everyone (all transmitters in the market) are on ATSC 3.0 AND one or more stations agree to forego 4K in favor of being a lighthouse station for non-4K content. I doubt that the networks will upgrade quickly to 4K, if ever. In fact, I'll be pleasantly surprised if ANY broadcast station decides to broadcast OTA in 4K.

It doesn't hurt to have the new HDHomeRun box. or an ATSC 3.0-capable TV, now, except for the initial cost. It will be nice to see 1080p OTA.

Bandwidth is the issue. 4K takes all of the available bandwidth that a station is allowed to transmit. Unless a station is only using a single subchannel right now (or has a partner station to take their subchannels), there's no real incentive for them to go to 4K. And, without 4K content to transmit from a provider, why bother?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There will be no changes to WJZY's ATSC 1.0 signals. They are neither a guest or a host. They are listed as a participle.

All stations on WAXN will be 1080p and have equal bandwidth under a stamux arrangement.

·
Registered
468 Posts
No, you probably won't see 4K TV until everyone (all transmitters in the market) are on ATSC 3.0 AND one or more stations agree to forego 4K in favor of being a lighthouse station for non-4K content. I doubt that the networks will upgrade quickly to 4K, if ever. In fact, I'll be pleasantly surprised if ANY broadcast station decides to broadcast OTA in 4K.

It doesn't hurt to have the new HDHomeRun box. or an ATSC 3.0-capable TV, now, except for the initial cost. It will be nice to see 1080p OTA.

Bandwidth is the issue. 4K takes all of the available bandwidth that a station is allowed to transmit. Unless a station is only using a single subchannel right now (or has a partner station to take their subchannels), there's no real incentive for them to go to 4K. And, without 4K content to transmit from a provider, why bother?
The Fox feed is 720p. Encoding that to 1080p won't magically make it look better. I'm trying to prevent some buyer's remorse that I've seen in other forums.
I like HDHomeRun products but I wish they didn't use 4k in their product name. I think it misled some buyers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There will be no changes to WJZY's ATSC 1.0 signals. They are neither a guest or a host. They are listed as a participle.

All stations on WAXN will be 1080p and have equal bandwidth under a stamux arrangement.
Just so that I'm clear before I buy a tuner, the feed from 46 will be a direct feed, and not the super compressed OTA feed they have now?

Also is there something going on with 36.5 Twist? And 42.1 was redirecting to 9.4 last night.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Just so that I'm clear before I buy a tuner, the feed from 46 will be a direct feed, and not the super compressed OTA feed they have now?

Also is there something going on with 36.5 Twist? And 42.1 was redirecting to 9.4 last night.
WJZY will be sending there 46.1 program over a dedicated IP circuit to me. I assume it will be full bandwidth content. I have no control on what they send me.

The redirect of 42.1 to 9.4.....has to be WNSC (SCTV) in Rock Hill.....I do not generate service 9.4 (they are RF9)

·
Registered
366 Posts
It would help to know what to look for in the spec of Video and Audio that our receiving hardware needs to be able to handle or be compatible with in order to maximize the viewing and listening of ATSC 3 Charlotte transmissions.
Obviously at TV which can handle up to 1080P is a starter. What else?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If you plan to get the HDHomeRun 4K, you also need something that can decode AC-4 audio like the 2019 model of Nvidia Shield, Chromecast with Google TV, the latest models of Apple TV 4K, certain smart TVs, or an AV receiver or sound bar that can decode AC-4 via HDMI passthru.

If you have an actual NextGen TV with its ATSC 3.0 tuner enabled, you should be good to go as supporting HEVC and AC-4 Audio are one the requirements to be NextGen certified.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
It would help to know what to look for in the spec of Video and Audio that our receiving hardware needs to be able to handle or be compatible with in order to maximize the viewing and listening of ATSC 3 Charlotte transmissions.
Obviously at TV which can handle up to 1080P is a starter. What else?
There is reportedly an audio issue with certain soundbars or speakers being able to handle the new format.
Edit: The above post by KyL416 best explains the technical issues regarding the audio transmission.

·
Registered
592 Posts
WAXN's ATSC 1.0 programing will be broadcast by WBTV, it will be seen as 64.1 (23-5)
getTV and Court TV Mystery (EscapeTV) will be broadcast by WSOC, they will be seen as 64.2 & 64.3 (19.3 & 19.4)
LAFF TV will be broadcast by WCNC, it will be seen as 64.4 (24.6)

WJZY, while a 3.0 participle, will not host any additional 1.0 programming.

Crowder's and Smith Mtn. will continue to broadcast WAXN (64.5 & 6.2). I will reevaluate whether being on WBTV makes this a moot point. Because of all the over night work involved.
It may be June 16 before Crowder's and Smith Mtn. are converted.

Because of all the moving parts in morning of June 15th, program guide information make take a day or so to settle out.
Ted and others...

Going on past experience, I feel extremely confident that the guide data (esp that coming from Gracenote and other vendors) will remain intact after this change. My reasoning is that sub-channel number assignments are NOT changing. When broadcasters change existing sub-channel assignments, that is when "missing guide data" happens for the end-user, viewer. Your mileage may vary with PSIP guide data. If the ONLY change is the RF channel, then all should be normal for viewers post-rescan.

14261 - 14280 of 15078 Posts