AVS Forum banner
14921 - 14940 of 15069 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Glad you finally got things working. Overall the repack seemed to improve Charlotte signals in the fringes, but there may have been new issues at certain locations due to overload, interference, or multipath. But WCNC and WJZY top mounted and improved, and WCCB and WSOC moved to lower channels and also improved. For me main WSOC 9.1 was a big improvement when moving to RF19, WSOC translator improved on RF12, WCCB remained good on 18, and now main WAXN 64.1 has good strong signal since moving to WBTV. So I am very pleased with reliable Charlotte reception in Spartanburg. My only problem is 13-WLOS from Asheville which ironically is an official station for my area.
WLOS Is harder to receive in my part of Spartanburg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Former WHNS-21 FOX Carolina morning host Ted Phaeton has joined WJZY today has new morning meteorologist on FOX46 and tomorrow they expand the morning show to 6 hours. Maybe soon they move to new studio.
My only comment...
"Six Friggin' Hours?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Reactions: LMckin

·
Registered
WTFDA Member (Worldwide TV-FM DX Association) DX above 30 mHz Google for website and check it out!
313 Posts
Exactly. 😀😂😉 Rewind focuses on the 80s and 90s. Do you remember watching 60s comedies during the 80s. The look of the picture is to make us reminisce about that... Tapes of shows were sometimes copies of copies, because digital was still years away...
Do you mean that they are deliberately "softening" the picture, to make it look like it would have looked on an analog color TV set in those days?

Mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, it would be kind of jarring, to see those shows in remastered 1080 quality. But on the other hand, there is a noticeable difference, and I've always chalked it up to bit-starved 480 signals on the subchannels.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do you mean that they are deliberately "softening" the picture, to make it look like it would have looked on an analog color TV set in those days?

Mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, it would be kind of jarring, to see those shows in remastered 1080 quality. But on the other hand, there is a noticeable difference, and I've always chalked it up to bit-starved 480 signals on the subchannels.
LOL, No it’s not deliberate. I thought all my laughter emojis would make clear my frail attempt at humor…

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm in awe at how well the folks up at Weigel have done with this older stuff..especially MeTv and start. Everything remastered in HD and delivered to the stations in HD. All of the old Looney Toones cartoons that I ran on air at W3Tv back in the mid 80s..oh yea and from 16mm film too..look amazing..and then there's Antenna Tv..not so much..
I agree on the good job they’ve done. I watch MeTV all the time, and my mother (who lives with me now) watches StartTV a lot.

I disagree a little about AntennaTV. I have some Addams Family episodes recorded in 2017 from AntennaTV, and the picture quality is superior to the same episodes currently airing daily at 6PM on MeTV. One difference is that, back in those days, AntennaTV was on 18.2 (which feeds to cable).

I don’t know whether or not there is any difference in quality between 18.2 and 18.5. I do know Marlo Thomas looks as good as ever on 18.5. 🧐🥳😀

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
LOL, No it’s not deliberate. I thought all my laughter emojis would make clear my frail attempt at humor…
I feel your pain guy..some just don’t get sarcasm..

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have some Addams Family episodes recorded in 2017 from AntennaTV, and the picture quality is superior to the same episodes currently airing daily at 6PM on MeTV.
I’ve noticed that commercials on MeTV during the 6PM broadcast of The Addams Family are as crystal clear as any other of their programs. But the show itself isn’t. Everything else from The Waltons to Svengoolie is crystal clear. That causes me as a layman to speculate that perhaps MeTV is not using a digital source for The Addams Family episodes. That’s surprising in this day and time. Given the success of classic TV sub channel networks, I thought everything from Loretta Young to “Whirlybirds” had been digitized.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've never understood (frequent) rebranding to "fix" a TV stations' ratings. I've rebranded my Troy-Bilt lawnmower to Cub Cadet to Craftsmen -- and it still doesn't work. I think CONSISTENCY is the key, but I guess the suits are too impatient for that - the TV suits, not the lawnmower ones. Anyway, it appears WJZY is on the road to rebranding for its 3rd time since 2013. For those keeping score, WJZY launched its Fox affiliation with "My Fox Carolinas"; then the simple "Fox 46" -- BTW, I like simple. Now from some hints in some TV promos I've seen this past weekend, it seems WJZY is embracing "Fox Charlotte". I suspect this will totally launch with their new-set unveiling - final coat of paint is probably drying as I type this. So, it looks like my old cap will be "new" again.
Hat Cap Fedora Sun hat Baseball cap

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Well if that dosn’t up the ratings then nothing will..after all, the branding is what matters.
Now let’s see.. W3Tv and Wsoc have had the same branding for how long now?

Reactions: eacalhoun

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I've never understood (frequent) rebranding to "fix" a TV stations' ratings. I've rebranded my Troy-Bilt lawnmower to Cub Cadet to Craftsmen -- and it still doesn't work. I think CONSISTENCY is the key, but I guess the suits are too impatient for that - the TV suits, not the lawnmower ones. Anyway, it appears WJZY is on the road to rebranding for its 3rd time since 2013. For those keeping score, WJZY launched its Fox affiliation with "My Fox Carolinas"; then the simple "Fox 46" -- BTW, I like simple. Now from some hints in some TV promos I've seen this past weekend, it seems WJZY is embracing "Fox Charlotte". I suspect this will totally launch with their new-set unveiling - final coat of paint is probably drying as I type this. So, it looks like my old cap will be "new" again. View attachment 3175121
I don't like when they drop the channel number. WJZY has always been known as 46 in one form or another, and FOX46 is a more familiar identifier. But I guess WCCB no longer holds the rights to the FOX Charlotte brand. And they dropped the 18 a long time ago, and more recently WCNC dropped the 36. I prefer when they keep the legacy channel number.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Well if that dosn’t up the ratings then nothing will..after all, the branding is what matters.
Now let’s see.. W3Tv and Wsoc have had the same branding for how long now?
Those legacy analog brands have always been well established for 3 and 9. And for years they used to say folks TVs were always glued to Channel 3. Then everybody else finally upped their game and became a contender. But back in the day WBTV lead the way.

14921 - 14940 of 15069 Posts