AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my self install kit on Friday to begin a month long Beta test of Charter's HDTV service. In the Beta, only HBO and Discovery HD are being offered. The service will then be available to all subscribers in January, and they will then all more services such as HDNET, Showtime and hopefully some OTA's like CBS. Pricing still TBD.

The install went very quickly and easily and for those technically challenged, a very good step by step instruction booklet is included as well as a good HDTV primer. Also included was all the necessary cables (component video and digital coax!). The settop is a SA 3100HD, the same type as we currently have so the learning curve was quick.

The picture quality is great, particulary Discovery. HBO is much better than the digital only feed but still not as good as Discovery.

So far this is a great start to HD over cable and I can't wait for more to come! Also, the customer service people at Charter were great and as excited as I was about this!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sounds cool. I live in Charlton, MA and they are doing the same thing over here.

Could you tell me how much they are charging you for the HBO plus Discovery? Do have also have cable modem from them? To get all that, they quoted me $106.98 per month. Seems like it's about $10-$20 too much. Let me know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just pre-registered for the Charter HDTV in the Atlanta area. Here is what they quoted me:

1 - $50/month promo rate that includes the HBO package ($60 if I wait until January, so she incouraged me to pre-register now)

2 - One, non-hdtv STB included

3 - Extra STBs are normally $4/each per month, but HDTV ready STBs will be $6/each.

4 - Add broadband for only $25 more per month.

5 - $25 installation and no contract

Sounds almost too good on pricing...I'm sure there will be some hidden costs...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please tell me more about the STB. What is the SA 3100HD?

Does it accept RG6 for OTA as well, like the satellite receivers?

What do you mean by Digital Coax? You mean for audio? Does it not have Optical Out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by teillon
Please tell me more about the STB.
>What is the SA 3100HD? It's the HD version of the normal cable seetop box that Charter deploys.

>Does it accept RG6 for OTA as well, like the satellite receivers? No, I wish it did.

>What do you mean by Digital Coax? Digital Dolby output

>Does it not have Optical Out? No Optical Out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfogelstrom
Picked up my self install kit on Friday to begin a month long Beta test of Charter's HDTV service. In the Beta, only HBO and Discovery HD are being offered. The service will then be available to all subscribers in January, and they will then all more services such as HDNET, Showtime and hopefully some OTA's like CBS.
I hope Charter is more forthcoming out where you are. I'm in the Los Angeles area and have the Charter HD Service, Discovery and HBO only, and when I've asked about changes/additions to the service in January this is the response I got

"Hello, We do not have any immediate plans to add any more HDTV channels at this time, but I have passed your request on to our Marketing Department for further consideration.Thank you for contacting Charter Communications, a Wired World Company. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you."

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, this is good news. Hopefully they will expand the lineup. I would not drop dish for this, but would consider if they offered the locals, ABC, CBS and NBC. A PBS feed would be also be nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.