AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now been over 4 months that Charter in Newtown, CT has been offering HDTV. They started by offering 2 channels, HBO and Disc but promised the local OTAs and more cable channels in January. Of course, no new channels in January, but calls to customer service met with the ever popular "we'll have more channels soon".

So what happened in February? No new channels. How about March? Nope, nothing new but they guarantee something soon. "When's soon?" I ask. "Well it takes a long time to negotiate these contracts so it could be weeks or months" was the CSR's response.

Ok, it's now April. Nothing new and today's conversation was basically that I should be happy with the 2 channels I should stop calling them - they will call me when something new is available.

And Charter wonders why they are losing so many customers to the dish. I'm about to make the switch as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They aren't adding anything anytime soon. I got the exact same stuff from the CSRs in Birmingham. I signed up in May 2002, and every month the promised to add locals. A year later we only have HBO, Disc, and Showtime.

·
Registered
244 Posts
No kidding. On top of that, I WAS using Charter for my cable modem. Was paying 44 a month for 1Mb down, 384 up. So then they decided to drop the speed to 768k down, and 128up, and at the same time, RAISE THE PRICE BY 5 BUCKS!

SNET has a deal for 34.99 a month (with free install and modem) for the same (new)speed, and for 44.99 up to 1.5 and 256 up. (I am getting 1.3 down and 256 up)

I called charter to see if they would do any kind of retention (I was a cable cust as well as a internet cust, but dropped the cable for Dish about 1 year ago)

Their answer - Nope.

My answer? I guess I will send my $100+ a month to someone else...

·
Registered
473 Posts
its no wonder they're bleeding money. They seem like they'd rather lose a customer than lower the price. Am I to believe they're NOT making money on me at 69 bucks? They raised it to 79, and I call to ask them to lower it they say no way, then I say Hello DirectTV. I would rather have cable (6 tv's in the house) but I'm not gonna take it in the a55 from charter.

In my business, client retention is like the #1 thing. With Charter they seem so arrogant, that I hope they do go under. They deserve it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yea, in any high cost customer acquisition business (like cable) retaining the customer should be their #1 or #2 goal. I couldnt believe it when they said nope. No matter - like I said, I get better service and lower cost - and I dont feel like I am being taken advantage of.

I probably would not have changed just based on the change in service level - but dont smack me in the face and charge me more at the same time...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Well at least they launched their promised limited HD offerings in your areas.

I'm here in St. Louis...in their home market...where their corporate HQ is located. They been promising to roll out HD in limited parts of the metro area for more than 2 years now. No one here has HD cable yet, even if it's supposed to be just HBO HD and Showtime HD. We get zip and since they're just hanging on...on the edge of bankruptcy, I doubt if they'll be launching HD cable here anytime soon.

I'm glad I wasn't waiting for them. I can get 4 Directv HD channels and 6 HD/DTV OTA channels. My guess is that it will be some time before Charter goes belly up and some other cable giant takes over our service area and then eventually rolls out HD cable and offers at least 10 HD channels.

HD cable may be the eventual future of HD, but you'd never know it here in St. Louis thanks to Charter Cable. I really expected more for Paul Allen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live about 40miles west of Boston. Last Jan, we got the brochure from Charter saying they were adding HD. I called immediately. They scheduled the install for the following Friday. Friday came, they called and said they had to reschedule due to "a whole shipment of bad cable boxes". The following Saturday, they called again, saying they STILL couldn't install it, because they were STILL having problems with shipments of bad boxes. When I asked when they wanted to reschedule for, they said they'd call me and set up time when the "box problem" was resolved. It's now June, I still haven't heard from them. I had asked if they were going to provide the local digital/HD channels, and was told they didn't broadcast in HD. LOL

Anyway, I installed a MyHD card in the PC, and have been watching HD in all it's glory ever since, and watching it for FREE.

My only fear is that someone even WORSE will buy them out when they go BK.

Lobstah

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Do you run the HD through your PC to an HDTV or are you watching HD on your PC screen?

If to the TV, is that really the same as using a cable, satellite, or OTA decoder? Is the VGA to RGB (or component) connection to the TV giving out true HD to the TV?

Just curious as this is the first I've heard of this card.

Cheers,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I run it to my Tosh 57H82, and it's true HD. The card is an OTA decoder. It actually has 2 RF antenna inputs, and I, like most people, feed a ratshack UHF into Ant 1, and my cable feed into Ant 2. This doesn't premit viewing of "digital" cable content, i.e. channels 100 on up, but it gives me basic cable, in addition to the OTA stuff.

I get a window on my PC with the TV image in it that is totally "sizable", and I feed the Tosh through the output cable that comes with the card. It outputs component video, and I use a 50' cable as the PC is a ways away from the Tosh, and it looks great.

The card also allows you to record any of the digital channels directly to your hard drive, takes about 6gig/hr of programming.

Do a search on MyHD and you'll see many threads here on the card and the app that comes with it. There's a newer version (MDP-120) that just came out that has DVI output. My Tosh doesn't have DVI, so not a big deal for me.

Any other questions about it, let me know...I love the set up.

Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone have an update on HD status in the Worcester(pepperell) area?

I do need to call and find out but thought I would post the Q here.

When I checked with a CSR and Supervisor a few months back, they

had killed VOD and added HD (2 channels worth) and there would be

no more this year.

side note: I fully expect to hear that the NewEngland folks will be

Comcast sometime soon...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Comcast?...hmmmm. Not sure they could do a worse job, so that might be a move in the right direction. Unless I can get the true "digital" broadcast from the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.), I'm just not interested in any HD over cable. HBO just doesn't do it for me, since by the time HBO puts a film on, if it's anything I'd want to watch, I've already either rented it or I've bought the DVD. Paying an extra $15/mo for two channels was just dumb, IMHO.

jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
just got off the phone with charter-worcester...

HD service is dead for now.

Bottom line is that the box hardware is too expensive and they're

only offering the 2 channels (still) [discovery and hbo]. And they

really don't know what will be happening...

The first level csr gave me the line that the boston towers couldn't support

hdtv.... I talked with a supervisor and got the above story.

I recommended that they check out AVSforum and read the hd threads

on boston/massachesetts/charter/comcast to get a feel for what

is happening.

--

For grins I also expressed some concern that it seemed like Charter

was not spending Capital to improve service options. First they dropped

VOD and now HDTV service. Maybe they are planning on selling us...

·
Registered
52 Posts
This represents the classic problems with a monopoly. This is what our government supposedly fixed with the imfamous Telecommunications Act, which none of them understood anything beyond the copyright notice on.

My fear is that Charter will manage to drag along, barely solvent, not competitive, because they have a captive, gauranteed audience. We STILL have no choice over who our provider is. If we did, most of the people in my neighborhood would drop them like yesterday's newspaper.

Instead, we'll be stuck with them for years. If they had TRULY eliminated the monopoly and provided the end user with choices, we might have that good old fashioned concept called COMPETITION involved, and everyone might get much better service/features/benefits from the whole scenario.

of course, this is ALL just IMHO,

really.

Snapped Lobstah

·
Registered
316 Posts
I too have been less than happy with Charter Communication's slow rollout of HDTV, HOWEVER, they have partnered with Diego, to rollout the Moxi box ( http://www.moxi.com/prodserv/moxi_overview.jsp ).

I spoke to a rep at Diego, and they claim it has been under a full beta test in St. Louis for a while now, and that they expect a nationwide launch of the Charter/Moxi box by end of 2003, early 2004.

I spoke with a rep at Charter "in-the-know" and word is that the local stations in HDTV will rollout "end of summer."

The Diego box looks very promising indeed:

- Dual tuner, HDTV support

- DVR, including HDTV

- much much more.

The promise of HDTV over cable is the only thing keeping me from dumping Charter in favor of a Dish.

- Sepia

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sepia,

Unfortunately, the promise from Charter of new HD services is only that - a promise. They hope that they can keep their high end subs from switching to satellite by stringing them along with an empty promise. When I first subscribed to their HD offering of HBO and Discovery in December of 2002, I was told that they would rollout SHO, HDNET, CBS, NBC and ABC within a month and also ESPNHD when it became available. It's now the end of June and in my conversation with them yesterday, I was told that in fact no new HDTV services were on the way. Also they confirmed what jjk58 said about HD in Worchester and I'm sure that going to be the policy systemwide.

This is an amazingly poorly run company with some of the worst customer service I've ever come across.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfogelstrom
I was told that in fact no new HDTV services were on the way. Also they confirmed what jjk58 said about HD in Worchester and I'm sure that going to be the policy systemwide.
Woah. I spoke to a rep, who said she was told that HDTV locals will roll out end of summer 2003. Could they roll it out in one area and not another perhaps? I am in the Glendale/Burbank area...

Quote:
This is an amazingly poorly run company with some of the worst customer service I've ever come across.
Totally agree there, but I thought things were heading for the better, what with the Diego Moxi relationship and all...

- Sepia

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just thought I'd post an email I recieved from Charter this week in response to my inquiring about their expanding the two HD channels:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Charter Communications.

Jim,

I received your email and unfortunately we have put the HDTV system on

hold. We will not be adding any new channels or setting up any new

installations for the HD service. Everything is federally mandated to be

upgraded and completely broadcast in HD format but again at this time we

are on hold.

If you have any additional questions please contact us at

1-800-634-1008 or by email.

Brad

Customer Care

Charter Communications
Not that I'd expect the lower tier customer support people to make promises about, or even know of, future HD channel negotiations, but that email is not at all encouraging. I replied stating hopes that their lack of growth is because that are concentrating on selling themselves. Also not ethat CS made no distinction about a particular area, it's across the board stonewalling. They pushed the two channels out just to meet the minimum req's and stay ahead of the Gov't.

I got all excited when I read about Charter's "deal" with HDNET a few months ago. That is going nowhere too. Their announcing more fluff about participating in undeveloped devices is no less comforting. They should concentrate on the core business and get the available channels on now.

Jim Nash

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jasn
Just thought I'd post an email I recieved from Charter this week in response to my inquiring about their expanding the two HD channels:
Was his answer specific to a particular market or really accross the board to all Charter markets? This is unbelievable! They are giving differing and misleading messages to their customers...

Quote:
I got all excited when I read about Charter's "deal" with HDNET a few months ago. That is going nowhere too. Their announcing more fluff about participating in undeveloped devices is no less comforting. They should concentrate on the core business and get the available channels on now. Jim Nash
This is what happens when there is no competition. Sure there is DirectTV and Dish, but neither of these are able to provide HDTV locals and I don't get reception via antenna in my area. I want more competition on the cable level, TWC seems ahead of the pack technologically speaking. sigh.

Let's find a list of people to annoy about this:

Andy Morgan (Charter Spokesman) [email protected]

Erin Levins [email protected]

- Sepia

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sepia:

I went back and carefully read my initial message. While I suppose it may have been Northeast Region specific, I did not get that impression from the response. I think you may agree.

Sorry to bring out more bad news about Charter. For a short while I was very optimistic about Charter's HDTV roll-out. Now I am feeling left behind.

Let's all move to Shrewsbury! Their little independent Cable Co. is kickin' everybody's butt!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.