AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until a few days ago my Charter HD TV service had about 20 channels. Some of the channels were the HD feed of the major stations. For instance NBC SD was on channel 5 while NBC HD was on channel 705.

My STB is a Motorola 6200 with a DVI/HDMI connection to my Samsung HLS-5687W. When would switch between an SD channel and an HD channel the STB and the TV would do the HD

As of 2 days ago when switching from an SD channel to an HD channel there is no HDMI handshake/synchronization AND when I press the TV's Info button on an SD channel it displays the same information as an HD channel, both the Input source and its resolution of "[email protected]", though the picture is 4:3 not 16:9.

Charter has not replied to my questions. Have they made an un-announced upgrade to their HD service? Have they switched all their analog SD channels to digital?

I am trying to understand why my STB and TV can now display the actual resolution of all of the SD channelswhich they did not do before. I have made no changes at all. I am happy with the result, just confused.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If I understand you correctly, SD and HD channels are all indicating 1080i? If thats the case then it sounds like your stb has recently been setup to upconvert all the SD channels to 1080i. The delay you were seeing prior was likely due to the tv resyncing between 480i and 1080i, not a HDCP handshake delay.

I usually recommend that Moto STB users set 4:3 override to 480i so that the tv does the upconversion.

I'm not surprised that Charter didn't respond.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad Dib /forum/post/12949894

Have they switched all their analog SD channels to digital?

Quite likely they have. Charter just started digital simulcast (or simultrans) in my area and the digital SD channels look much better than the prior analog versions. If you look on the info bar of an SD channel, do you see a Dolby Digital logo on the right side? If so, these are now being transmitted digitally. Alternatively, you could check the channel status in the service menu of the 6200 and see if the digital tuner is being used for the SD channels. I actually had to power-cycle my STBs before they started displaying the DD logos on the info bar.

What I am not sure of is the resolution display you describe. My assumption is that your TV is reporting its display resolution and not the input resolution. With the digital signal, it is now able to upconvert to the TV's native resolution. I could be wrong.

I used to have the delay when I used DVI due to the "handshake". I switched back to component as it annoyed me. I'll have to try my DVI cable again and see how it works, now that we are all digital.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick search came up with this feature for your TV:

- Full HD 1920 x 1080p digital format converter for all inputs

I think you are seeing the display resolution. What does your owner's manual have to say?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It appears that you have your Motorola box set to output both 16:9 broadcasts and 4:3 aspect ratio broadcasts at 1080i. You need to set the Motorola 4:3 override setting to either 480i or 480p.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts