AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I called the Burbank/Glendale Charter and the service is $64.95 plus $3.00 for the box per month, this includes all the HBO and SHO channels as well as the regular 124 other channels. Only HBO and SHO are in HD.

They said 60% of HBO is in HD and 75% of SHO is in HD. That sounds about right, but maybe less on some days.

For me, they don't offer anything better than what DISH has to offer. I'll have to wait and see who takes the lead next.

·
Registered
545 Posts
75% of Showtime ???? Make me laugh....

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wonder about the availability of local digital channels on cable. I think that could be the major short and intermediate term advantage of cable over satellite.

Vic W

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L
I called the Burbank/Glendale Charter and the service is $64.95 plus $3.00 for the box per month, this includes all the HBO and SHO channels as well as the regular 124 other channels. Only HBO and SHO are in HD.

I just spoke with a Charter rep for the same area because I've got a problem with the feed coming into our bedroom and scheduled a service tomorrow. I asked about the HD issue since we are getting close to the end of the 2nd quarter when it was supposed to occur. The information I heard from him TWICE was, "$6.95 for the new box monthly, plus $3.00. And $6.95 is the price of the current digital box. I think and hope "$64.95" was a communication error of some type. That would mean three whole dollars more for HD! Yahoo! The Local terrestrial digital channels will be included too, according to Charter's web site. That's what I'm really after....can only get NBC now in the hills.

EDIT for clarification.....spoke to another rep just now

Glenn L and I are both right. The $64.95 is what you and I are currently paying for that "digital" movie channel service presently. HD in and of itself won't cost $64.95. Just the $3. But, I'm sure it's just one HBO HD channel and one Showtime HD channel, not 60-75%. HA! And yes, Local channels!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ron,

That is right, if you are NOT a current subscriber, it will cost $64.95+$3.00. Or for current subscribers of all the channels, just +$3.00 for a new box . The 60/75% is what they (Charter) claim to have in HD on their HD channels. This does not include all HBO/SHO channels.

Forget about any local feeds for now, the PR only had a teaser about adding locals later, just like everyone else. This is why I am going to see who takes the next lead in HD, my guess, DISH.

... one thing I forgot to mention, they said on Tuesday they got a notice that deployment of ALL HD boxes are on hold. The rep said it may be because of a compatibility problem with the programmers signal...doh

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hmph. Charter Pasadena still owes me $26.94. We'll see how this HD rollout really happens.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I just called up to see if I could order 2 boxes since the press release indicated it started like 3 days ago. At first the rep said yes, and clarified that the HD version receiver rents for $9.95 each....that's where the $3 extra comes in. Then I asked him if the output would be component or RGB. He said he would ask his supervisor and then disappeared for at least 15 minutes, so I picked up another phone and dialed in again and held it to the other ear. That musac in two ear mono is out of this world!

Finally the first guy comes back and says that his supervisor hasn't seen a schematic yet and doesn't know on the output. (I think others on this forum have said it's component for the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD) In any event he told me that they are still testing....they don't want to hand them out (says they're in stock) (?) too early & people have problems and start calling in for service. So it will be the end of June now. And yeah that's a drag that the Local channels have no comitted date.

Discovery? Have they comitted to ANY HD carrier yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Called Charter last night, and after about 30 minutes and three different cs reps...I have an appointment for this Thursday for the installation of my SA 3100 HD. The rep also stated that some other equipment would also need to be installed but wasnt able to inform me as to what it actually was. The box is an extra $3 per month. I asked if it was any extra for the two channels...HBO and Showtime...and she said no. Hope everything goes well Thursday..:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.