AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to order Dish HDTV when I decided to give Charter a call and ask when they planed to have HDTV in my area (SLO, CA). To my surprise, they said "it's available now"!

They had never announced it, but SHO, HBO and Discovery HD are currently available in my area. So, I have ordered it and it is supposed to be installed on 9/18.

So, if you have Charter and are waiting patiently for an announcement, maybe you should call once a month to see what you can get.

Also, they are giving me the "Freedom" promotion bundling Internet and Digital cable, so my monthly bill will actually go down!!!!:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been E-mailing Charter monthly, and I always get the same canned response. Maybe I'll start bugging them on the phone!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just called Charter and they said HD is not availible is San Luis Obispo or Cayucos. I don't know what there deal is. When you call them you get there call center in Utah. I'll stop by the local office today. Can you provide any more info on how you convinced them that yes they do offer this service?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
52 Posts
They scheduled me for installation 2 times, then called just before each appointment and canceled. The second time, I asked what date they wanted to reschedule for THIS time, and they said they'd call ME when they had a date. That was about 6mos ago. Since then, they pulled the whole HD rollout in this area.

So don't hold your breath.

Snappy

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just went in to the San Luis office and they told me that they definately do not offer HD cable in the San Luis Obispo area. They went on to tell me that they will not be offering it until next year. It'll be interesting to see what gets installed on the 18th. Keep us updated.

Marshall

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate the local office, the lady at the front office is a *****. I bring up a question about anything and she gives me attitude.

Ah well, at least I have finally found people to talk to about HDTV in SLO. Is there a thread somewhere where we can discuss what over the air options are available?

I used to get KSBY (NBC) over the air in 480p but that is all I have been able to get. Anyone in downtown SLO been able to recieve any other digital stations?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just can't pull the trigger on an over the air receiver just to possibly get KSBY in 480p. I have a digital projector and am itching to receive HD. I'm holding off on satalite due to lack of local channels. I hate having Charter as my only hope.

Marshall

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the installer came today with a work order in hand with the "special instruction" "INSTALL HDTV BOX". It included the following line items:

SHO HDTV

HD DISCOVERY

HBO HDTV

HDTV SVCS

But, he was carrying an Explorer 3000 standard digital box. (No component outs). He did not seem to understand what HDTV was, but was sure this box would deliver it. A half hour of discussion and phone calls later, I learned that HD is NOT available in this area, even though the customer service "computer" says it is. Customer service is in LA and they don't really know what is going on up here.

Current estimate is 1Q04. Yeah right.

Guess I will go with Dish. Anybody know a good installer around here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Damn cable Nazi's!

I feel for your loss!

Marshall

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The latest Dish "Charlie Chat" said they would be offering "Santa Barbara" locals by year end. My understanding is that the SB DMA includes SLO, so you should be able to get locals and HDTV from Dish soon.

This sould really put a thorn in the cable nazi's side around here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
But, the local channels do not come in HDTV, so how could you watch them either over the air or through satelite?

My only success in the digital realm has been KSBY in SD 480p only. Have you had better success than me for some reason?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Couple points for all you Central Coasters.

First off, is there any interest in starting an email group on Yahoo's E-groups for HDTV-in-the-Central-Coast.

I'm in a group for HDTV-in-the-NYC-area which was alway full of useful info on the options back east.

I'll start it up if we can get a minimum of say half a dozen interested folks.

Second, I think there is some confusion around HDTV locals. KCOY, KSBY, KEYT, and KKFX do not have any HDTV content on the air. KSBY has there digital transmission up. After talking with an engineer at KEYT, I've found that they will also have their digital transmission go live some time in October. Unfortunately, in both cases they do not have a network downlink installed to receive the national HDTV feeds. This equipment is distributed by the networks themselves, and our market is about 120th in the US. So you can see we are pretty far down the priority list to get some OTA content.

The cable companies, Cox in SB, and Charter in SLO can not give you HDTV content that the locals don't have! Thus the cable companies have to wait for the locals, who have to wait for the national networks to get around to them. When Bell gets the Dish 921 HDTV PVR receiver, I am going Canadian. That is the only option for HDTV network television in our area for what could be years to come.

LMK about the e-group.

-Burt

·
Registered
89 Posts
Count me in as someone who wants to be kept up-to-date on HD offerings on the Central Coast. I am in Nipomo. I have a Philips 60" HDTV, and an RCA DTC100 DirecTV receiver that will also do OTA.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am receiving KCOY-DT ch. 19 in Orcutt. They turned on the HD signal on Friday before the Superbowl. The picture quality is outstanding, but no 5.1. I ended up watching the Superbowl on KCBS-DT on DirecTV (also available that same Friday) since they broadcast it in 5.1. The CBS-HD signal over DirecTV was slightly less sharp than KCOY due to compression, but great overall.

FYI, I receive both KCOY-DT and KSBY-DT with a cheap rabbit-ears antenna on my RPTV. Prior to going HD, KCOY-DT had terrible picture quality and sound.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went in to Charter in San San Luis Obispo last week to pick up one of the new DVR boxes and asked them if there was any new info about HDTV. I typically ask about once a month. This time I was told very mater of factly that it would be rolled out sometime in March. This is the first time anybody there has said anything so I'm hopeful that the guy isn't just blowing smoke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also went in and recieved the same answer, only they said it may come out in late March/ Early April. I also talked to a guy at Audio Video City that said he talked to the local head of Charter and he told him about March as well. This looks like the real thing. Hopefully they will actually get the CBS station. Also, I hope KSBY will understand that they need to get on the ball about going HD.

Can anyone in San Luis Obispo recieve KCOY CBS HD from Santa Maria? I cannot recieve it because of either my geography (near a hill) or because I cannot find a good enough antenna.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone in San Luis Obispo recieve KCOY CBS HD from Santa Maria? I cannot recieve it because of either my geography (near a hill) or because I cannot find a good enough antenna.
I can barely receive KSBY-DT here in Santa Maria, and they broadcast from the top of a hill. I would imagine that KCOY-DT's transmitter, even if the same power as KSBY, cannot reach SLO. Can you receive KCOY ch. 12 in SLO? I didn't when I lived there. Chances are if you can't get the analog signal you can't get the DTV signal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You know I have been places in SLO where I can recieve the analog station using rabbit ears. My old work, in the break room, we watched channel 12 there. It did not come in very well, but it did come in. So I guess it is just my location next too a hill that is in the direction of the signal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
glad to see there are a few people here interested in hdtv in our area. has anyone else been seeing the recent commercials for charter hd service "coming in april." pretty exciting news. just wondering if anyone has confirmed this with charter and knows what channels will be offered

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.