AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1417896/charter-stops-supporting-customer-owned-modems#post_22174852

I don't know if this means much to you guys, but I prefer owning my modem (and other equipment) rather than have the recycled crap provided by the ISP/CableCo.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Charter-Stops-Supporting-Customer-Owned-Modems-120059

Provider Modems/Gateways SUCK. They are at least 2-3 generations behind current offerings. Instead of future proofing themselves, they get "Good Enough" hardware and for us advance users we get stuck with dated hardware. We have Servers and 802.11n clients. I have no legacy clients at all.

If the latest 2 Wire Gateway was 802.11n 300Mbps and supported UPnP for things like WHS, then it could be great, but nope.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunatelly I'm grandfathered in with my Surfboard 6120 DOCSIS 3 that cost me around $100 but when the next generation comes along I'm stuck. The only other solution is Uverse and they have slower speeds and higher latency than does Charter. They don't permit customer owned equipment either so there is no alternative. The kicker is they're typically passing this off as something that provides for an increase in customer satisfaction with something along the lines that customer owned modems mess with their system.

The other kicker here is that for new customers there is two internet tiers now. 30mbps for $50/mo and 100mbps for $105/mo.

Bad move.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts