Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I start this website?

Last week, I ordered the HD package from Charter. The website says they have ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox Widescreen, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Discovery HD.

The installer just left. He said it, I tried them, and called the customer service which also confirmed.

In my area, they only have NBC, Fox, HDNet and HDNet Movies. (Of course, Fox isn't HD!)

So... I have three HD channels, no SuperBowl, and sorry Mr. Cuban, but the program lineup on the HDNet stuff isn't my preference.

How can they even bother offering HD for anything more than FREE if it doesn't have CBS and ABC?

What to do about the SuperBowl? I don't have time to eBay an OTA tuner, nor do I have any idea if it would pick up or not.

I'm mad enough to EAT NAILS. First, this is poor customer service to have the website show all those channels (ok, they do say in microfine print that not all channels available in all areas) but I asked when I signed up if it got "all the networks" and they told me yes. But it really galls me that they think that with NBC and the two HDNets, they think they have a real HD offering, and the commercials they run on normal cable VERY MUCH indicate a full offering of channels.

They've really torqued me off.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwalters

Last week, I ordered the HD package from Charter. The website says they have ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox Widescreen, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Discovery HD.

The installer just left. He said it, I tried them, and called the customer service which also confirmed.

You might be interested in the ATL DTV users group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv/

Unless you are not really in Atlanta or in a hole somewhere, you should be able to get WGCL OTA quite well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That does sound like a limited lineup... no HBO HD or ShowtimeHD options? Do you just not want to pay that extra for those movie channels or do they not offer them?

As far as the locals go (CBS and ABC), I think that's a problem with many areas. In my area we only get CBS and PBS local channels. I think its politics, in my area some of the locals want subchannels like ABC-DT1, ABC-DT2 (everything they have now over-the-air)... for possible future profit potential, and the cable company only wants main channel. That may or may not be the issue in your area.

In my area they have CBS, PBS, ESPN-HD, HBO HD, Discovery HD, Showtime HD, INHD1, and INHD2. And i consider that to be a little meager for my liking.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:

In my area, they only have NBC, Fox, HDNet and HDNet Movies. (Of course, Fox isn't HD!)

So... I have three HD channels, no SuperBowl, and sorry Mr. Cuban, but the program lineup on the HDNet stuff isn't my preference.

How can they even bother offering HD for anything more than FREE if it doesn't have CBS and ABC?

What to do about the SuperBowl? I don't have time to eBay an OTA tuner, nor do I have any idea if it would pick up or not.

I'm mad enough to EAT NAILS. First, this is poor customer service to have the website show all those channels (ok, they do say in microfine print that not all channels available in all areas) but I asked when I signed up if it got "all the networks" and they told me yes. But it really galls me that they think that with NBC and the two HDNets, they think they have a real HD offering, and the commercials they run on normal cable VERY MUCH indicate a full offering of channels.

They've really torqued me off.
Well, I hate to tell you, but the Charter website allows you to put in your address and identify the channels available in your area. They do get all the networks, but only in SD not HD. The channel lineup does indicate that NBC and Fox are the only locals shown on the HD tier, though as you noted Fox is not yet HD, just digital. No excuse for the CSR not understanding your question but they rarely know much about HD.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I vote to set up the website. Charter in Newtown, CT has been jerking my chain about HD for over a year. Only 3 channels and lots of broken promises. The latest is direct from the GM who only last week told me they would carry the Super Bowl in HD from the local affiliate WFSB. Today he tells me no, they won't be carrying it but of course "it's not our fault - it's WFSB's fault"! What a load!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Call the website ALL CABLETV HDTV CHANNEL OFFERINGS SUCK!! Most of the CABLETV companies only offer a few HDTV channels now and they don't even include all the major networks(ABC,CBS,FOX,UPN,NBC).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Understand that two sides are needed to make this mess. The owners of the local stations are also to blame, because of their unwillingness to pay for the extra bandwidth to carry the HD signal. Must-carry rules account for only one signal, which is logically the SD signal. It looks confusing as to why some sites have these stations and some don't, because some major networks are owned by national companies and they've worked it out in many cities at once. I think CBS, for instance, has a lot of local network owners who have still not come to terms with the cable provider.

Charter is supposed to be getting healthier, but this isn't as high a priority as their VOD effort. I suspect that they will come around in a big way when they roll out their HD-DVR project later this year.

I have Charter too, BTW, and I'm just as frustrated as the rest of you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have Charter Cable in Charleston WV.

They do not have ANY network HDTV available in this area.

The pay extra HBO & Discovery is not worth it.

The local stations refuse to offer the network HDTV programs & refuse to let the Sat & Cable import the network HDTV programming.

The FCC needs to look at situations like this.

Red

·
Registered
533 Posts
I gave up on Charter years ago. Poor PQ, limited offerings, no customer service. Why bother?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too feel the pain. It doesn't appear the SuperBowl will not be in HD. I just had an installer over to review my OTA antenna dilemma but to no avail.

Dish and Direct do not carry CBS HD. My current provider, Charter does not so ditto on the "Charter Sucks" part. I do believe that ComCast does offer CBS HD but they do not service my neighborhood!

I would have switch in a heart beat to the carrier that could have provided it. Other than a 50' antenna on my roof, are there any other options?:mad:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand the frustration but for the most part my local Charter

(2 NH towns supplied by the Pepperell headend tied to Worcester) has been better than most other cable systems in the region.

Comcast is the only one that has appeared to have moved forward faster

in some of their systems.

--

I bit the bullet today and ordered my HD converter (install this sat.) as

I've been having problems getting the local NBC OTA since I moved

my antenna last week to get ready for sunday. And, my wife has

been watching fox more lately as well and I already get HBO and

Showtime...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZMan
I too feel the pain. It doesn't appear the SuperBowl will not be in HD. I just had an installer over to review my OTA antenna dilemma but to no avail.

Other than a 50' antenna on my roof, are there any other options?:mad:
What is your OTA dilemma? There is a lot of discussion and antenna recommendations in your area in the ahdtv Yahoo Groups forum, as well as some good antenna installer contact info. Look at the CM4228 if you have not already done so.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Charter TV PQ & Internet Pipeline is excellent here.

The Charter analog TV PQ is better than DirecTV.

Just No real HDTV.

Red

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:

Just heard from a friend with Charter HD service here in metro Atlanta that CBS HD has just been added to the HD lineup. Still no ABC but this should at least be good news for the SuperBowl. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is affirm-ative. Charter here in Smyrna (atlanta) just added CBS. They also downloaded firmware 7.07 for our Moto5100 boxes that enables the DVI port.

Enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.