AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a downtown area that is 8 miles from the broadcasting tower according to TV fool. I have tried to use a GE amplified indoor antenna (20db) from Target, but it is not enough to receive any channels except one that is pretty spotty. My line of sight is obstructed by an adjacent building and an outside antenna isn't an option. Can you guys recommend what I need to try next?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,109 Posts
have you tried to move the antenna around to see if there is a sweet spot for reception? That's a stretch but if you have a building in the LOS and an outdoor antenna is not an option, there may not be much more you can do other than try another kind of indoor antenna.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsfshrmn  /t/1416412/trouble-getting-ota-signal#post_22145571

I live in a downtown area that is 8 miles from the broadcasting tower according to TV fool. I have tried to use a GE amplified indoor antenna (20db) from Target, but it is not enough to receive any channels except one that is pretty spotty. My line of sight is obstructed by an adjacent building and an outside antenna isn't an option. Can you guys recommend what I need to try next?

Thanks

Using an amplified antenna is most likely your issue. You're to close to be using that. The amp is most likely overloading your TV tuner. if you could post your TVfool results we could be better able to help you. But I suspect that is the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
 http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d134968f531b6b7

Well, I initially started out with that antenna but I didn't have any success with it. When I have the antenna's amp unplugged, my signal strength goes from about 60% down to zilch on every channel (roughly the same as the rabbit ears). I've been trying to move it around the room but it doesn't change but one channel. My window faces due north, which is the direction I'm trying to get most of my channels. What antenna should I try next?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Unplugging the amplified antenna does not mean it will still work as a conventional antenna, so you might be misled by the readings.

I would try going as high as possible in your room. Put it high on your window facing north. Try opening the window because some glass does inhibit signals. They do sell antennas that can be mounted outside a window with a wall mount

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Have you tried something as simple as a coat hanger or a piece of wire? That close, I've seen that work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You may have an issue with multipath reflections, i.e., signals bouncing off several objects and reaching your receiver at slightly different times. That can cause interference that kills a DTV signal, where with analog, you would have seen ghosting. A prominent AVS forum member is from Chattanooga and has documented quite a few problems with multipath interference. I know when I was in Chattanooga last year, I'd get 90% signal one moment and 30% the next - it was quite difficult keeping a consistent signal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg  /t/1416412/trouble-getting-ota-signal#post_22148277

Have you tried something as simple as a coat hanger or a piece of wire? That close, I've seen that work.

Yeah that was the very first thing I tried in all different kinds of ******* configurations. I made one of those Youtube antennas when I lived in Knoxville that worked well. I think I will try to get that down here before I grab a different antenna.

I have noticed my signal does rapidly cycle from 70->35%ish a lot of the time. I assumed this was just the weak signal. So I could just be dealing with multipath reflections?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would a better tuner help? My TV is a early LCD, about 7 years old. When I lived in Knoxville, another TV in the home had no trouble using rabbit ears without line of sight, while mine cut out frequently with direct LOS.

I have better luck with reception using my HTPC's ATI TV Wonder 650 Tuner, which itself is at least 5 years old. I wonder if newer cards have better technology to deal with this, or is it just a physical limitation of physics and I'm stuck?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
You got me thinking now. What is the model of your TV? Its possible maybe you do not have a digital tuner, but analog. ATSC tuners were not being put into TV's until 2005.

Do you get all channels with your ATI tuner?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm pretty sure it has an ATSC tuner. I remember it being one of the first and I've been watching HDTV signal on it for years. When I do a channel search it lists digital and analog channels separately. It's a Phillips 37pf9631d.

It's interesting I can pick up two additional channels by pointing it at the opposite brick wall inside my apartment away from the signal. It has to be the multipath you guys were talking about earlier.

·
Registered
22,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier  /t/1416412/trouble-getting-ota-signal#post_22150931

ATSC tuners were not being put into TV's until 2005.

That's incorrect.

·
Registered
18,109 Posts
^^^ that's partially correct. I think mandated ATSC tuners started in July 2005 for new tv's greater than 36" and was required for all sizes by March 2007.

·
Registered
22,247 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,503 Posts
Please add a location to all antenna help threads. See my edit and the sticky instructions.

·
Registered
17,588 Posts
Hello, fellow Chattanoogan!

Multipath eats the signals alive around here. Where I am, on Missionary Ridge, I receive several stations from Atlanta without issue but none of the Chattanooga stations with my outdoor antenna. Tons of signal from them, but nothing decodes. I've made something that sort of works indoors and is not pretty.

Most cases should not be like mine. At work on 8th St downtown, I can see most of the full-power stations with an antenna in my office.

The DB2 may not be a bad option. You will definitely want something very directional to cut down the multipath.

- Trip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's interesting because I live downtown, but the buildings on 5th (I don't think?) aren't quite as tall in the north direction. What antenna are you using?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts