AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming that my theater is much like many of yours. I have a 4:3 projector, desire a 16:9 screen, and am mounting the screen against a wall. I am looking for the following features in my screen:

1. 16:9

2. Easy Masking system for 2.35:1 movies

3. method of compensating for light spill coming from top and bottom of 4:3 panel

4. bias lighting?

5. low cost

This is my idea so far, and I would love to have input and ideas.

The frame will be made out of L-shaped metal from home depot, fastened together by bolts. a Flat face will eb facing forward to attach the parkland plastics screen onto as well as the vertical masking.

For horizintal masking, I want to make panels that can move up and down to accomodate for different asect ratios. I am thinking some kind of rail running down the sides of the screen with the panel attached with some sort of L bracket.

For bias lighting, rope lights put behind the frame.

I know that this is hard to visualize, and I have nto doen teh best of describing my thoughts, but what do you think?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
If you can do it (WAF etc), then putting deep black carpet, felt or similar on the entire screen wall will greatly reduce or eliminate this.

Gary

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that idea is great. I live alone, so WAF is not a problem. It should be relativley cheap too. I could just get a big square of fabric and have a cut out for my screen. Masking shouldnt be too difficlut either.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I used thick wallpaper paste (idea from Jim Mc) to glue mine to the wall, so that if it should ever have to come down, it should be easier than a contact adhesive.

A steamer should be all that's needed....

Gary

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I found that speaker box carpet, like that which is found at a car stereo installer, works very well for this purpose. It has a firm backing on it, cuts real easy, is relatively thin, and can be glued with basic components (or even stapled). Best of all it is pretty cheap and comes in many colors.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.