AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the news that the HD-DirecTiVo won't support simultaneous 480i and HD 720p/1080i output, I'm looking for an inexpensive external solution to routing the output to a non-HD set in a second room. I'm doing this easily today with the DirecTiVo by simply using the ch3 modulated output (the S-Video is connected to the HD set) and a coax run from the DTiVo to the second room.

Best case would be a box that would accept a 720p component input (since I'll be using 720p on the HDMI/DVI output), and provide a modulated (ch3 is fine) 480i output. That's probably a unique beast, so I'm probably better off looking for a 720p component to 480i composite device, and then using any ol' modulator on the backside...

I've found 720p component to VGA, and VGA to composite, but that seems like a roundabout way to do it.

Any suggestions? I said cheap (say under $200 street) because my alternative is to keep my existing DTiVo just to feed the other room...

Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you sure your component output is still active while using the DVI output. On my Zenith HD reciever you have to flip a switch to choose which output you wish to use.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm not - since the HD-DirecTiVo doesn't exist yet, there's no way to know... I think the component output is still active on my Samsung T160 even though I'm using the DVI - there's no switch to select it on that box. I can't easily test that, but the instruction manual doesn't mention anything about it, either (it talks about component and DVI interchangeably).

But that does throw another possible fly into my soup...

Jeff

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think it would look that good for less than $200...'they' say you need more taps for downscaling than up....I'd stick with directivo...does you tv have a video out?? some do

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the monitor/video out from the TV wouldn't help in my case, since I'm feeding another room with it - the primary set wouldn't generally be turned on if the other room was in use...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.